The Education Forum

Why didn't JFK fire McGeorge Bundy post-BOP?

Cliff Varnell

G Burnham:

Still, I wonder why JFK kept Bundy after his perfidy during the BOP invasion. I have yet to hear an answer to that inquiry that is adequate to the evidence from anyone. I certainly don't know what the reason was. It is perhaps unknowable at this stage, but it was the central topic under discussion at the beginning.

I can just repeat: Acc. to Kai Birds book, THE COLOR OF TRUTH, JFK thought that Bundy was a freshman, and, despite the fact that he was a Georgtown-Set-guy, not directly involved in creating the tar-baby, known as BOP. Note: Bundy was NOT active in the Eisenhower administration, and not involved in what was first called Operation TRINIDAD and then ZAPATA. Dulles, Bissell and Cabell were...

(Maybe JFK thought Bundy was fooled like himself in that particular instance...BUT: it is clear that Bundy was a double dealing character, and at last his loyalty was not to Kennedy but to his murderers...)

Kennedy was not satisfied with Bundy squishy performance at the time of the cuban missiles cirisis and asks him in the aftermath, out of a sudden, why he withheld the U-2 pics of the SU-rocket-facilitys in Cuba to him for several hours. (Kennedy slept...) Bundy (over) reacted with a full memo to that question.

KK

KK

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kennedy was not satisfied with Bundy squishy performance at the time of the cuban missiles cirisis and asks him in the aftermath, out of a sudden, why he withheld the U-2 pics of the SU-rocket-facilitys in Cuba to him for several hours. (Kennedy slept...) Bundy (over) reacted with a full memo to that question.

KK

Me thinks Bundy dost protest too loudly, indeed.

Thanks for your thoughts, Karl. It's like Garrison said: "Bill, it only takes one Judas."

"I know it's tough. The Academy rejected you because you're Duke Mitchell's kid. You have to live with that reputation. But it's like you're flying against a ghost."

The way I see it I have two options, first I could drop out and quit or I could keep flying and not leave my wing man. That's what makes me better then my dad.