The Education Forum

INFORMATION

There are 181 documents at NARA.gov concerning FBI agent-in-charge Los Angeles Office Wesley G. Grapp and Harry Dean. Many of these are readily available, some are released 'with deletions' others released as follows, as sensitive,

exempted, classified, restricted and or secret & etc. However even most of these are now available to interested persons.

Such information is available at NARA when addressed as follows... Wesley G. Grapp, Harry Dean.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 181 documents at NARA.gov concerning FBI agent-in-charge Los Angeles Office Wesley G. Grapp and Harry Dean. Many of these are readily available, some are released 'with deletions' others released as follows, as sensitive,

exempted, classified, restricted and or secret & etc. However even most of these are now available to interested persons.

Such information is available at NARA when addressed as follows... Wesley G. Grapp, Harry Dean.

Harry, when I navigate to www.archives.gov and I enter in "Wesley G. Grapp, Harry Dean" as the search string, this is the result I receive:

...........No results were found for your search.

If somebody else gets a different result, won't you please explain how you did that?

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

When entering "Harry Dean" alone (with quotation marks) I got the following results [see Box 4 below]:

Russell Holmes Papers

Background on the Russell Holmes Papers

The Russell Holmes papers consist of 50,000 pages of CIA documents maintained by Holmes in his role as the custodian of the Oswald 201 file, as well as the Segregated Collection of CIA records compiled for the investigation of the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA). Holmes was the CIA liaison for all inquiries on the assassination after the end of the HSCA investigation until his retirement.

For questions about these records or copying information, please write to the Special Access and FOIA Staff at the National Archives at College Park, Room 6350, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001, call at (301) 837-3190, or e-mail:

List of Folder Titles in the Holmes Papers

Folder Title List
Volume: 20.2 Feet

Box 1

• RH01-F:001. Robert S. Allen and Paul Scott
  • RH01-F:002. Bella Abzug Committee
  • RH01-F:003. AMLASH/1
  • RH01-F:004. AMLASH/1. Maria Teresa Proenza-Proenza
  • RH01-F:005. AMMUG/1. Report on Oswald Case
  • RH01-F:006. AMMUG/1. Lee Harvey Oswald
  • RH01-F:007. AMTRUNK/1. AMLEO.
  • RH01-F:008. Assassination of President John F. Kennedy: News clippings, 1/63- 9/22/88 (two folders)

Top of Page

Box 2

• RH01-F:009. Eusebio Azcue-Lopez
  • RH01-F:010. Tenant H. Bagley. Nosenko
  • RH01-F:011. Lists of documents released to FOIA requesters
  • RH01-F:012. Nadine Detourgess. Coclay Stanojecic
  • RH01-F:013. Maurice (Morris) Bishop. Jim (J. Walton) Moore
  • RH01-F:014. Roger Blahut
  • RH01-F:015. Carlos Bringuier
  • RH01-F:016. Luisa Calderon
  • RH01-F:017. Cambridge News
  • RH01-F:018. Carlucci's statement before the HSCA, 12/11/78
  • RH01-F:019. David Christ, Alias Daniel Carswell
  • RH01-F:020. Plotting Castro's Assassination. Giancana, Roselli, Traficante, Marie Lorenz, Frank Sturgis
  • RH01-F:021. "Black Book" given by Fidel Castro to Senator McGovern
  • RH01-F:022. Alleged Chinese Communist/Castro plot to assassinate JFK
  • RH01-F:023. Letter addressed to American Embassy in Stockholm
  • RH01-F:024. CIA documents (from FBI sensitive study) referred by FBI to CIA
  • RH01-F:025. Lee Harvey Oswald- Mexico City
  • RH01-F:026. ARRB determined document "not believed relevant."
  • RH01-F:027. ARRB determined document "not believed relevant."
  • RH01-F:028. Oscar Contreras

Box 3

• RH01-F:029. GPFLOOR. Mrs. UNSTAR. Robert Nieto
  • RH01-F:030. Cuban Mug book
  • RH01-F:031. Gomez, Enrique; Cubela, Rolando.
  • RH01-F:032. Warren Commission; Review of Records; Request for records (three folders)
  • RH02-F: Inventory. Inventory of F033 to F050
  • RH02-F:033. DDI, Miscellaneous documents. Reaction to JFK assassination (two folders)

Top of Page

Box 4

• RH02-F:034. Harry Dean
  • RH02-F:035. List of U.S. Defectors to USSR, 1958-1963
  • RH02-F:036. Delimitation Agreement, 1949
  • RH02-F:037. Petr Deraybin
  • RH02-F:038. Salvador Diaz-Verson
  • RH02-F:039. Willem Oltmans, Dimitur Dimitrov
  • RH02-F:040. CIA Disseminations to Community (three folders)

• 2 months later...

A search of all NARA databases does not produce ANY references to Wesley Grapp.

In addition, when the entire JFK assassination collection is searched by surnames -- Grapp's name does not appear. See:

http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/fbi-files.html

Edited by Ernie Lazar

• 5 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 11:07 AM, Ernie Lazar said:

A search of all NARA databases does not produce ANY references to Wesley Grapp

In the recent release:  I was able to find a few things....   was Wesley G. Grapp aka James O'Connor FBI ??

807169544_enclosingphotoofharrydean.jpg.2166c5dddbd17c69eb0d5bff3e583b07.jpg

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/docid-32312899.pdf  

741909785_64-11-23HARRYDEANINTERVIEWEDBYFRANKVEGA.thumb.jpg.fa8d6595295c90b3bb7cec8a22bf4bae.jpg

963309450_fbisawesleyggrappAKAjAMESoconnor.jpg.c440509b7345bb87e6eb89f17e71fa99.jpg

Edited by David Josephs

2 hours ago, David Josephs said:

In the recent release:  I was able to find a few things....   was Wesley G. Grapp aka James O'Connor FBI ??

807169544_enclosingphotoofharrydean.jpg.2166c5dddbd17c69eb0d5bff3e583b07.jpg

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/docid-32312899.pdf  

741909785_64-11-23HARRYDEANINTERVIEWEDBYFRANKVEGA.thumb.jpg.fa8d6595295c90b3bb7cec8a22bf4bae.jpg

963309450_fbisawesleyggrappAKAjAMESoconnor.jpg.c440509b7345bb87e6eb89f17e71fa99.jpg

I posted all Harry's FBI and CIA files online years ago.  I also posted the FBI personnel file on Wesley Grapp. 

As I previously pointed out, Harry Dean claims that he provided information to Wesley Grapp in Los Angeles during the summer of 1963 (September to be exact).  However, Grapp was not even in California during 1963.  He was Special Agent in Charge of the FBI-Miami field office until March 1964!  ALSO:  Grapp was in Washington DC for training classes during some of the periods when Harry Dean claims he was speaking to Grapp. 

In addition, NONE of the FBI files about the Birch Society (HQ or field office) mention Harry or anybody matching his description except the ONE reference in the Birch Society Los Angeles field file where an Assistant Director told a southern California newspaper editor that Harry's narrative was entirely false, i.e. Harry was never an FBI informant nor did he provide any service requested by the FBI.  All Harry ever did is contact the FBI when HE thought he had some information that they might like to know -- just like hundreds of thousands of ordinary people do every year.  All the FBI did with Harry's information (with one minor exception) is file it away without pursuing it further because they never considered Harry as a reliable source of information about much of anything.

Harry Dean is NOT a credible witness to anything -- which explains why no reputable historian or academic publication has ever given his story any serious consideration.  The Los Angeles FBI agent in charge of Cuban-related matters described Harry as a "mental case" - which also corresponds to a comment which Harry's wife made to one of their neighbors at one time.

Incidentally, just FYI, after I obtained the FBI-Los Angeles and FBI-HQ files on Harry, I then used the "search slips" located in those files to make further FOIA requests.  The FBI search slips list all references to a name which FBI "name check" employees could find in any FBI index.  Altogether, I found about 30 cross-references on the field office and HQ search slips which referred to documents containing the name Harry Dean.  Many of those documents turned out to be about some other person by the name of Harry Dean---including (for example) an attorney mentioned in some entirely different and unrelated file.  The very few documents that were about Harry J. Dean merely repeated the information contained in the FBI-HQ and Los Angeles field files.  In other words, they were duplicate references because (in most cases) a serial was placed in more than one file.

Lastly, I also contacted about a dozen people who have well-known websites pertaining to the assassination of JFK.  I asked the owners of those websites what THEY thought about Harry's story.  Without exception, NONE of them believed Harry was credible and, in fact, when you check the books written about the JFK assassination during the past 15 years or so, nobody gives Harry's story any significant coverage---IF they mention him at all (which isn't often).

Edited by Ernie Lazar