The Education Forum

The movie " Suddenly"

Peter McGuire

A "Stool Pigeon" tips off before he dies about the plot.

Sound like a certain woman speaking to a police officer before Kennedy was killed?

The Book Depository Building ( in this movie ) has now been secured.

( a retired Secret Service Agents home )

Edited by Peter McGuire

Fake FBI Agents led by Sinatra take over the Book Depository Building ( a retired Secret Service Agents home ) and are also using it as a snipers location in anticipation of the Presidents arrival.

It is interesting how this movie portrays the Secret Service as an organization that does its job.

Of course they have done just that - except for one fateful day in Dallas Texas. Leading up to and including November 22, 1963.

Tragically, movies like this make them appear unable to ever be on the wrong side of their sworn duties.

But their shame will forever be.

Thanks , Jon for your input.

My feelings are that the conspirators had this movie in mind when putting their killing of our president together.

There is always a focus on "what the patsy was thinking or doing, or what he may have or not have done while he was being framed for the murder of the president of the United States."

I focus on what the murderers were thinking - and become a more clever and devious man doing it.

My feelings are that the conspirators had this movie in mind when putting their killing of our president together.

More likely:

"Every now and then a man on a white horse rides by, and we appoint him to be our personal god for the duration. For some men it was a Senator McCarthy, for others it was a General Walker, and now it's a General Scott."

More likely:

"Every now and then a man on a white horse rides by, and we appoint him to be our personal god for the duration. For some men it was a Senator McCarthy, for others it was a General Walker, and now it's a General Scott."[/size]

One of my ALL TIME favorite movies!

According to John Frankenheimer, the Producer, JFK asked him to make the book into a movie because he was afraid of a military takeover due to his many 'disagreements' with the military...

Tom

Burt Lancaster never got enough credit for all the films he starred in or produced that showed the danger of American hubris.

Not just this one, but also Twilight's last Gleaming, Executive Action and Go Tell the Spartans.

The last is a a disgracefully underrated film about early American involvement in Vietnam. In my opinion its one of the two or three best movies ever made on the subject.

When the budget ran out, and the studio would not put any more bucks into the production, Lancaster took the money out of his salary to complete the film.

If you ever get a chance to see it, please do.

I, too, think "Seven Days In May" is a very good film. And it received some excellent reviews as well, including this one by The New York Times (which many here might appreciate)....

"There is a great deal about this 'Seven Days in May' that is rousing and encouraging to a feeling of confidence and pride—and this is in addition to the feelings of tension and excitement it stirs. Considerably more than melodrama and sensationalism are contained in its not too farfetched speculations. There is, in its slick dramatic frame, a solid base of respect for democracy and the capacities of freedom-loving men. .... In some vivid and trenchant dialogue, which Rod Serling has composed in doing the screenplay from the novel, the President sadly notes the cause of such a move toward upheaval is not one man's lust for power but the consequence of a concentration of fear and anxiety. The enemy is not the general, he says, it is the nuclear age. 'It happens to have killed man's faith in his ability to influence what happens to him,' he says. If for no more than this statement, the film is worth its salt. But there is a whole lot more in it. The whole thing achieves a tingling speed and irresistible tension under John Frankenheimer's direction."

-- Bosley Crowther; The New York Times; February 20, 1964

nytimes.com/Full Movie Review

Classic--Movies.blogspot.com/2011/07/seven-days-in-may.html

Seven-Days-In-May-8.JPG

Edited by David Von Pein

And the N.Y. Times review for "Suddenly" is a good one too. And it, too, was written by veteran film critic Bosley Crowther (ten years before "Seven Days In May" came out)....

" 'Suddenly' shapes up as one of the slickest recent items in the minor movie league...a compact study of terror and suspense. .... It moves along so crisply and with such breathless uncertainty all the way that it drags you into the episode and holds you to the end. .... Mr. Sinatra deserves a special chunk of praise for playing the leading gunman with an easy, cold, vicious sort of gleam."

-- Bosley Crowther; The New York Times; October 8, 1954

nytimes.com/Full Movie Review

%2527SUDDENLY%2527%2B%2528PART%2B5%2529-

Edited by David Von Pein

More likely:

"Every now and then a man on a white horse rides by, and we appoint him to be our personal god for the duration. For some men it was a Senator McCarthy, for others it was a General Walker, and now it's a General Scott."

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember hearing ads for this film on the radio a few months after the assassination and I knew it was "about" the Kennedy assassination. If only...we had that ending. I have the book and the dvd. Great film to watch along with JFK. Happy ending vs the truth.

I had picked the quote from the script I placed under because that was pretty explosive stuff back in 1964. They named McCarthy and Walker and pointed them out as "very emotional, very illogical lunatic fringe" along with the rest of the extreme right. It was a warning and apparently it was a little to late.

Here's the full part of that exchange:

President Jordan Lyman: The next step should be to your liking, Chris. Esther, call the Pentagon. Tell General Scott I want to see him right away.

Esther Townsend: [on intercom] Yes, sir.
Christopher Todd: I think it's time we faced the enemy, Mr. President.
President Jordan Lyman: He's not the enemy. Scott, the Joint Chiefs, even the very emotional, very illogical lunatic fringe: they're not the enemy. The enemy's an age - a nuclear age. It happens to have killed man's faith in his ability to influence what happens to him. And out of this comes a sickness, and out of sickness a frustration, a feeling of impotence, helplessness, weakness. And from this, this desperation, we look for a champion in red, white, and blue. Every now and then a man on a white horse rides by, and we appoint him to be our personal god for the duration. For some men it was a Senator McCarthy, for others it was a General Walker, and now it's a General Scott.

Since we are on the subject of that era's assassination films, let us not ignore the best of them all, at least for me:

The later remake was a disaster, and Streep did not approach Lansbury.

This is probably Frankenheimer's best film, with the possible exception of Black Sunday. A book and film that was way ahead of its time.

(I except Frankenheimer's The Iceman Cometh, since that is really a filmed play, not a film. But in my opinion, that is probably the best film of a great American play ever produced.)

Edited by James DiEugenio