The Education Forum

Where Science and Art intersect: Check out this contest

Needless to say, visual expressions that communicate the underlying science in an aesthetic manner are important. We should try to make things visually appealing.

https://www.freelancer.com/contest/ReDraw-Provided-Image-in-Adobe-Illustrator-277977.html

I am interested in media that goes all the way from a simple JPEG to a realistic mathematical simulation, and the above contest is a step in that direction.

Technology is making possible developments that were impossible and/or not affordable. To cite an example: It is perfectly doable to recreate the full Zapruder film to the maximum level of clarity, zoom-in, zoo-out and 3D rotations. This must be done in a peer-reviewed, open environment, lest we fall in the traps by ABC and others. In addition to its owner, only God knows the content of Dale Myers' hard disk.

We can do better than that mockery of science.

-Ramon

I agree, Ramón. That's something that should have been accomplished by the ARRB as duly noted by Doug Horne in his book, Inside the ARRB (Volume IV). Many of us have shot footage with the Bell & Howell from the Zapruder pedestal over the years. However, traffic conditions make it difficult to reproduce the crime scene. An official government inquiry would carry the authority, such as the ARRB possessed, to allow what you suggest to be done. However, since the ARRB dropped the ball, that opportunity may have been all but lost.

As I've pointed out here before: At the end of 2010 Kodak discontinued processing Kodachrome film forever. That is the film stock Zapruder used. Ektachrome can still be obtained and used in that type of camera and it can still be processed by Kodak for now. However, the last opportunity to film, 1) from the Zapruder position; 2) using the same type of Bell and Howell camera; 3) using the same film (Kodachrome); 4) on the correct date and 5) at the right time (for sun position) -- was November 22, 2010 at 12:30pm. I shot more than 2 hours worth of Kodachrome film from there on that day (from about 11:30 until about 2:00 pm). It was the last opportunity anyone would ever get to film from there with Kodachrome and be able to have the film processed. Obviously, I was not able to control traffic conditions sufficiently to replicate the Zapruder film.

Edited by Greg Burnham

• 4 weeks later...

i'm reading a book about the origin of CODE and Pythagoras is a major portion of the first part of the book, and the Golden Mean, and Phi, and exactly what was being sought by these people three thousand years ago was the merging of science, the Golden Mean, and art, to the extent that major artistic and architectural movements were directed to these ends - Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man was an interpretation of this (and many architectural efforts) - science/math + art = pleasing to the human eye.

this has nothing whatsoever to do with the Z film, etc, I know, but it served to enforce something i've always felt - as much as we think so, numbers are not always absolute - there's something else going on in there. there's a reason no one has yet completely solved the Golden Mean, and other more complex scientific psychiatrics.

i've always felt - as much as we think so, numbers are not always absolute - there's something else going on in there. there's a reason no one has yet completely solved the Golden Mean, and other more complex scientific [...].

And what reason would that be?

You seem to be claiming that since [whatever] has not been solved yet, it necessarily implies that it is not solvable?

Aren't you aware of the advances in science and technology that occur -literally- on a daily basis?

-Ramon

i implied no such thing. darn, Ramon, why the aggression?

do you even know what the Golden Mean is, and its history, and what it has meant to mathematicians for centuries? It's a most incredible bit of math, and it involves the Masons, and the Knights Templar, etc etc.

I simply stated that math, numbers, are so much bigger than what they represent on paper, or even in theory. I was supporting your assertion that there is, should be, a crossover between science and art, and was pointing out that some of the higher intellects have been working on this for centuries.

please don't pick fights with me. You'll win, i'll lose, and I'll have yet learned more.