The Education Forum

The First JFK Conspiracy Theorist

Douglas Caddy

I like Mr. Hornberger...

...but in his article he remarks that Knebel was "inspired to write the book after a conversation with U.S. Air Force Gen. Curtis LeMay, who had nothing but disdain for President Kennedy, with the feeling being mutual."

Where did "with the feeling being mutual" come from? This is an attempt to paint Fletcher Knebel as some kind of right wing nut along with LeMay (who is in fact the poster child for right wing nuts).

In the article cited by Hornberger the same encounter is described without the "mutual" reference:

http://blogs.weta.org/boundarystones/2014/05/13/movie-jfk-wanted-made-didnt-live-see

So I went and looked at Fletcher Knebel's Obituary. He seems to be a guy I would have gotten along with well and I really doubt his right-wing bonafides.

In World War II he served as a lieutenant in the Navy.

Mr. Knebel was known as a colorful character. He supported the legalization of marijuana, which he said he started smoking in 1968 because it is "better for me than whiskey." He entertained hundreds of friends by sending them "conception cards" nine months before their birthdays and describing events that happened while they were in the womb.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/28/us/fletcher-knebel-writer-81-dies-co-author-of-seven-days-in-may.html

Harold Weisberg mentioned Fletcher Knebel at length in one of his books- I want to say it was Post Mortum. If I recall correctly, Knebel was tasked to write an article generally smearing Warren Commission critics, and intimated that Edward Epstein's lightweight, decidedly neo-con Inquest was the most impressive of the bunch. Which, of course, rankled Weisberg.

Really, the first JFK assassination "conspiracy theorist" was Marguerite Oswald.

I agree with that.

I have also read about Knebel's efforts to marginalize the critics.

Seems he meant that JFK,also had the same disdainful feeling towards Lemay

"Bombs away Curtis Lemay"

Bill

That's what I thought too. In one of JFK's meetings with the Joint Chiefs during the Cuban Missile Crisis, I don't think JFK was too appreciative of LeMay's remark (as best I recall it), "You're in quite a fix, Mister President." I remember that JFK's response was, "What did you say?" And LeMay repeated the remark.

Seems he meant that JFK,also had the same disdainful feeling towards Lemay

"Bombs away Curtis Lemay"

Bill

That's what I thought too. In one of JFK's meetings with the Joint Chiefs during the Cuban Missile Crisis, I don't think JFK was too appreciative of LeMay's remark (as best I recall it), "You're in quite a fix, Mister President." I remember that JFK's response was, "What did you say?" And LeMay repeated the remark.

me too

It must have irked JFK to know that Lemay and other military officials not only despised him, but had no respect for him or his office.

I like Mr. Hornberger...

...but in his article he remarks that Knebel was "inspired to write the book after a conversation with U.S. Air Force Gen. Curtis LeMay, who had nothing but disdain for President Kennedy, with the feeling being mutual."

Where did "with the feeling being mutual" come from? This is an attempt to paint Fletcher Knebel as some kind of right wing nut along with LeMay (who is in fact the poster child for right wing nuts).

In the article cited by Hornberger the same encounter is described without the "mutual" reference:

http://blogs.weta.org/boundarystones/2014/05/13/movie-jfk-wanted-made-didnt-live-see

So I went and looked at Fletcher Knebel's Obituary. He seems to be a guy I would have gotten along with well and I really doubt his right-wing bonafides.

In World War II he served as a lieutenant in the Navy.

Mr. Knebel was known as a colorful character. He supported the legalization of marijuana, which he said he started smoking in 1968 because it is "better for me than whiskey." He entertained hundreds of friends by sending them "conception cards" nine months before their birthdays and describing events that happened while they were in the womb.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/28/us/fletcher-knebel-writer-81-dies-co-author-of-seven-days-in-may.html

I believe you are misreading what Hornberger wrote, and the phrase "with the feeling being mutual." The "mutual" contempt was between Kennedy and General LeMay. Knebel was just an observer, reporting on the situation. He was not part of it.

DSL

I believe you are misreading what Hornberger wrote, and the phrase "with the feeling being mutual." The "mutual" contempt was between Kennedy and General LeMay. Knebel was just an observer, reporting on the situation. He was not part of it.

Thank you Mr. Lifton. I see that now and I agree that was what he must have meant. Apologies to Mr. Hornberger.

IIRC, after LeMay repeated the remark, Kennedy's final words to him were: "Well, you're in there with me."

Tom