The Education Forum

Ruth Paine

Paul Trejo

Back to the letter Paul, I asked that question because I don't recall other examples of Oswald's writing that are as well composed. Perhaps you know otherwise?

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the letter Paul, I asked that question because I don't recall other examples of Oswald's writing that are as well composed. Perhaps you know otherwise?

Well, Paul B., it's my perception that LHO had many talents. Writing wasn't one of them, but then again, LHO loved to write. He wrote his USSR travel journal, for example, and paid to have it typed, and hoped to get it published. He showed it to George DeMohrenschildt, for example, who frankly told LHO that it wasn't good enough.

As for Oswald's better spelling in his EMBASSY LETTER than in most of his hand-written letters, this can be explained by the huge amount of time that LHO spent on one single page. He seems to have spent the entire morning of November 9th on it, and perhaps part of the afternoon, as well. That's a lot of time on one page. LHO had time to double-check his spelling, perhaps with a pocket dictionary, which he did possess.

Nevertheless, Oswald still misspelled the last name of James Hosty as "Hasty," and that's one of the trademarks of LHO's writing.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Yet the fact remains that even if the date was really late September -- and she misremembered -- then it still fails because the pregnant Marina Oswald was in Irving Texas in late September, along with her baby June, living with Ruth Paine.

He never said where his wife was staying.

Yet the fact remains that even if the date was really late September -- and she misremembered -- then it still fails because the pregnant Marina Oswald was in Irving Texas in late September, along with her baby June, living with Ruth Paine.

No, but he claimed he saw LHO's wife, pregnant, with him on the journey to Houston.

Marina and Ruth both agree that Marina was driven from NOLA to Irving Texas on 23 September 1963, and that Marina stayed every single night with Ruth Paine from that day until the assassination of JFK. There were neighbors in Irving, Texas, who were also eye-witnesses to this.

We can't just make up locations for people. It was a case of mistaken identity -- pure and simple.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

No, but he claimed he saw LHO's wife, pregnant, with him on the journey to Houston.

Marina and Ruth both agree that Marina was driven from NOLA to Irving Texas on 23 September 1963, and that Marina stayed every single night with Ruth Paine from that day until the assassination of JFK. There were neighbors in Irving, Texas, who were also eye-witnesses to this.

We can't just make up locations for people. It was a case of mistaken identity -- pure and simple.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Stop making it up.

John W Jackson reported that Mrs Holman was told by the job seeker that the man's wife wife was in Dallas. But when interviewed by the FBI she was not asked that specific question. All she told them was that the man's wife was pregnant.

I urge everyone to read the two page report. This was Oswald. Not some random person. Not a doppelganger.

He told his wife and Ruth Paine we had a friend in Houston and he would be looking for work there or in Philadelphia. He had a number of Philadelphia addresses in his note book including places where he might get Russian interpreting work.

Jackson reported that Mrs Holman told him the person had mentioned having a friend in Houston. I have checked as thoroughly as I can and as far as I can tell, that information was not in the public domain about Oswald. In short, she did not get from the media. Which is why the FBI pressured her to retract it., As if Jackson just pulled it out of thin air. Additionally, she was a reluctant witness. She did not want publicity. That goes in her favor.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1141&search=%22selling_books%22#relPageId=37&tab=page

This was Oswald doing EXACTLY what he said he would be doing.

Paul:

Ruth seemed (imho) to run hot/cold on her pronouncements about Oswald. Ruth wrote that letter to her mother dated October 14, 1963, describing a weekend with Lee and mentioning what a good father he was, how he helped with repairs at her home and "generally provided a welcome masculine presence to the household".

I would think that - if she deeply cared for Marina - she would do all in her power to support/help Lee as well (for Marina and the children's sake) ... regardless of her personal feelings about him. It also appears to me that she abandoned her Russian lessons and her "care" for Marina after 1963. I'm sure that Ruth's Redbook comments must have affected Marina in a negative manner, perhaps embarrassing if not wounding her. Not too Christian in my view.

No contact after 1963 (save a letter or Christmas card) seems harsh for someone who professes charity and peace. After all, both individuals are still alive and accessible.

Gene

Stop making it up.

John W Jackson reported that Mrs Holman was told by the job seeker that the man's wife wife was in Dallas. But when interviewed by the FBI she was not asked that specific question. All she told them was that the man's wife was pregnant.

I urge everyone to read the two page report. This was Oswald. Not some random person. Not a doppelganger.

He told his wife and Ruth Paine we had a friend in Houston and he would be looking for work there or in Philadelphia. He had a number of Philadelphia addresses in his note book including places where he might get Russian interpreting work.

Jackson reported that Mrs Holman told him the person had mentioned having a friend in Houston. I have checked as thoroughly as I can and as far as I can tell, that information was not in the public domain about Oswald. In short, she did not get from the media. Which is why the FBI pressured her to retract it., As if Jackson just pulled it out of thin air. Additionally, she was a reluctant witness. She did not want publicity. That goes in her favor.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1141&search=%22selling_books%22#relPageId=37&tab=page

This was Oswald doing EXACTLY what he said he would be doing.

So, Greg, I immediately clicked on that link you posted, and I read it, and it fails to agree with you. Oswald was NOT doing EXACTLY what he said he would be doing, i.e. seeking work in Houston.

Here is the content of that link, which is Warren Commission Exhibit #2191

---------- BEGIN EXTRACT FROM CE 2191 ----------------------------------

On January 25, 1964, JOHNNY W. JACKSON, 1111 West 26th Street, Houston, Texas, advised that he had recently applied for a job at the Spring Branch Employment Service on Long Point Road, which was operated by a woman approximately 55 years of age who conducted this business alone. JACKSON related that while talking with this woman she mentioned that she believed LEE HARVEY OSWALD had been in her agency to seek employment on or about October 24, 1963. This woman allegedly told JACKSON the man she believed to be OSWALD had told her his wife was in Dallas and was expecting a baby and that he was staying with friends while visiting in Houston. The woman also stated the man referred to remained in Houston for about four days before returning to Dallas. JACKSON stated this woman indicated she had not reported this matter to the FBI because she "did not want to become involved."

. . .

Mrs. HOLIMAN related she could recall that one afternoon in late October a young man came in who stated he was looking for a job and would take any kind of work. She recalled this man was wearing a white shirt and stated he had been selling books but was not making any money This man had a slight accent, stated his wife was expecting a baby and that he needed a job badly. Mrs. HOLIMAN asked his man if he was a local man and he replied he had been working in New Orleans.

Mrs. HOLIMAN commented that she had formerly lived in New Orleans and this caused a short conversation. This man commented that "things were rough" in New Orleans and he was trying to get back to Texas. He stated his mother resided at Fort Worth. Mrs. HOLIMAN asked this man if he was from Fort Worth and he said he had lived there a long time and went to school there. Mrs. HOLIMAN did not obtain this man's name and did not take an application from him, but suggested that he go across the street to the Texas Employment Commission.

Mrs. HOLIMAN stated when she later saw photographs of LEE HARVEY OSWALD in the newspaper she immediately thought that this man may have been OSWALD. At that time she recalled that the man mentioned above had visited her about one month before the assassination of President KENNEDY. She recalled that this man was about 25 years of age, approximately 5'7" in height, wore no hat and had a very soft voice and a definite accent. He was wearing some type of jacket rather than a suit.

Photographs of LEE HARVEY OSWALD were exhibited to Mrs. HOLIMAN, and she stated she now feels very uncertain as to whether the man she spoke to was OSWALD...Mrs. HOLIMAN...denied having said to anyone that she knew this to be OSWALD or that the man in question had made any statement about staying with friends in Houston or how long he had been in Houston...

On January 27, 1964, BOYD A. LARSON, Manager, Northwest Office, Texas Employment Commission, 1806 Woodvine, made a thorough check of all records maintained by his office and stated there was no record of LEE HARVEY OSWALD having applied for work through his agency at any time.

---------- END EXTRACT FROM CE 2191 ----------------------------------

The text I highlighted in bold red contradicts the alleged eye-witnesses testimony. The text I highlighted in bold blue contradicts Johnny JACKSON who reported Mrs. HOLIMAN to the FBI in the first place.

Honestly, Greg, if this is all you have to go on to claim that LHO was in Houston at the time that the WC, FBI and CIA have LHO in Mexico City, then you're REACHING.

As for the October dates in question -- which Mrs. HOLIMAN repeats -- we have eye-witnesses galore who put LHO in Dallas at the TSBD building on those days.

You've got less than Carol Hewett, actually. All you have here is a clear case of MISTAKEN IDENTITY. There were probably dozens of men who came from Fort Worth, whose wives were pregnant, who worked for a while in New Orleans, and who were out of work in October, 1963.

She didn't even get his name.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Two can play the color highlight game.

On January 25, 1964, JOHNNY W. JACKSON, 1111 West 26th Street, Houston, Texas, advised that he had recently applied for a job at the Spring Branch Employment Service on Long Point Road, which was operated by a woman approximately 55 years of age who conducted this business alone. JACKSON related that while talking with this woman she mentioned that she believed LEE HARVEY OSWALD had been in her agency to seek employment on or about October 24, 1963. This woman allegedly told JACKSON the man she believed to be OSWALD had told her his wife was in Dallas and was expecting a baby and that he was staying with friends while visiting in Houston. The woman also stated the man referred to remained in Houston for about four days before returning to Dallas. JACKSON stated this woman indicated she had not reported this matter to the FBI because she "did not want to become involved."

. . .

Mrs. HOLIMAN related she could recall that one afternoon in late October a young man came in who stated he was looking for a job and would take any kind of work. She recalled this man was wearing a white shirt and stated he had been selling books but was not making any money This man had a slight accent, stated his wife was expecting a baby and that he needed a job badly. Mrs. HOLIMAN asked his man if he was a local man and he replied he had been working in New Orleans.

Mrs. HOLIMAN commented that she had formerly lived in New Orleans and this caused a short conversation. This man commented that "things were rough" in New Orleans and he was trying to get back to Texas. He stated his mother resided at Fort Worth. Mrs. HOLIMAN asked this man if he was from Fort Worth and he said he had lived there a long time and went to school there. Mrs. HOLIMAN did not obtain this man's name and did not take an application from him, but suggested that he go across the street to the Texas Employment Commission.

Mrs. HOLIMAN stated when she later saw photographs of LEE HARVEY OSWALD in the newspaper she immediately thought that this man may have been OSWALD. At that time she recalled that the man mentioned above had visited her about one month before the assassination of President KENNEDY. She recalled that this man was about 25 years of age, approximately 5'7" in height, wore no hat and had a very soft voice and a definite accent. He was wearing some type of jacket rather than a suit.

Photographs of LEE HARVEY OSWALD were exhibited to Mrs. HOLIMAN, and she stated she now feels very uncertain as to whether the man she spoke to was OSWALD...Mrs. HOLIMAN...denied having said to anyone that she knew this to be OSWALD or that the man in question had made any statement about staying with friends in Houston or how long he had been in Houston...

On January 27, 1964, BOYD A. LARSON, Manager, Northwest Office, Texas Employment Commission, 1806 Woodvine, made a thorough check of all records maintained by his office and stated there was no record of LEE HARVEY OSWALD having applied for work through his agency at any time.

---------- END EXTRACT FROM CE 2191 ----------------------------------

The text I highlighted in bold red goes toward this being the historical LHO. The text I highlighted in bold blue is what she was no doubt intimidated into changing her story to, or simply changed themselves. If you move the whole thing back about a month, it fits the LHO timeline.

She explained why she did not get his name. She did not look after blue collar workers. The TEC across the road should not be expected to have any records either as he was not moving to Houston without having a job first - therefore no need to register there. It appears they simply had no suitable vacancies.

Her height guestimate is within the bounds of what you would expect. A two inch difference is a mole-hill, but you need people to believe it is a mountain. Good luck!

Edited by Greg Parker

Paul:

Ruth seemed (imho) to run hot/cold on her pronouncements about Oswald. Ruth wrote that letter to her mother dated October 14, 1963, describing a weekend with Lee and mentioning what a good father he was, how he helped with repairs at her home and "generally provided a welcome masculine presence to the household".

I would think that - if she deeply cared for Marina - she would do all in her power to support/help Lee as well (for Marina and the children's sake) ... regardless of her personal feelings about him. It also appears to me that she abandoned her Russian lessons and her "care" for Marina after 1963. I'm sure that Ruth's Redbook comments must have affected Marina in a negative manner, perhaps embarrassing if not wounding her. Not too Christian in my view.

No contact after 1963 (save a letter or Christmas card) seems harsh for someone who professes charity and peace. After all, both individuals are still alive and accessible.

Gene

I agree with much of what you say here, Gene, but there are still some points of difference.

(1) Ruth never denied that she ran hot and cold on LHO, but this was stimulated by Marina Oswald herself, who in the very first days of their friendship, told Ruth Paine that LHO was trying to ship her off to Russia with her kids, and without him.

(1.1) This is a one-sided account, but Ruth was sympathetic to Marina from the start -- they were both young mothers.

(1.2) Before late September 1963, Ruth had visited her relatives on the East Coast during a long, ten-week summer vacation. (Remember that Ruth came from money.) During that vacation, Ruth told all her friends and relatives about poor Marina Oswald -- and that LHO was trying to force Marina and her kids back to Russia. All of them got a clear idea that Ruth didn't like LHO.

(1.3) When Ruth visited the Oswalds in NOLA in late September, she found again that LHO was out of work, and Marina was even more pregnant than before, and still had no Medical Care arranged for herself or her baby. Ruth was outraged by this, and Ruth immediately offered to both LHO and Marina to take Marina back with her to Texas so that she could register Marina at Parkland Hospital Maternity Care -- in a hurry.

(1.4) To Ruth's great surprise, both Marina *and* LHO were *grateful* for her offer. Marina was really in a bad way -- and LHO really had no more money and no job, so he was also *grateful* for Ruth's offer.

(1.5) During the few days of Ruth's stay in NOLA with the Oswalds, Ruth called some friends from Church, and got some Charity help from local Unitarians who spoke a little Russian. Again, this was for Marina's benefit, because NOBODY spoke Russian in NOLA that Marina knew.

(1.6) The Church lady, Mrs. Ruth Kloepfer, arrived with her two teen-age daughters, one of whom had recently been to Russia and brought her scrapbook with her. To Ruth's pleasant surprise, LHO was a *perfect host*, very gracious, and served their guests snacks and drinks, and politely commented on all the photographs in the girl's scrapbook.

(1.7) That was when Ruth's attitude toward LHO began to thaw. She saw a completely different side of LHO. LHO did all the housework, all the shopping, all the packing, all the loading. (The only thing he didn't do was give Ruth or Marina any money for the trip.)

(1.8) Also, Ruth was very clear that Marina's attitude toward LHO had changed. Instead of bickering with him all the time, Marina was happier with LHO -- Marina also liked LHO's new attitude and behavior.

(1.9) At that time, Ruth didn't think about separating Marina and LHO anymore, but began to really hope that LHO would find a steady job, and take care of his family for a change, and stop tormenting Marina about sending her and her kids back to Russia alone.

(1.10) After October 7th, when LHO finally rejoined Marina in Texas again, he maintained his helpful behavior, and Ruth was so pleasantly surprised that she wrote to her mother a positive report on LHO, on 10/14/1963, as you cited, Gene.

(2.0) You say that if Ruth truly cared for Marina, then she would do all she could for LHO as well. Well, that's partly true. As long as Ruth thought that LHO wanted to ditch Marina and get out of his family duties, Ruth would feel coldly towards LHO.

(2.1) But when LHO changed his tune, and acted like a gentleman with Marina, and pitched in with the chores, then Ruth would feel more warmly towards LHO.

(2.2) At no time did Ruth ever tell Marina to leave LHO -- unless Marina brought up the topic.

(2.3) At no time did Ruth ever argue with LHO or start a fight with him. She minded her own business as far as possible, and she only sided with Marina when Marina herself complained to Ruth that LHO was threatening again to send her back to Russia.

(3.0) As for the question about Russian Lessons and Ruth's "care" for the waddling pregnant Marina, Ruth explained that at length. Her first attitude was always concern for this pregnant woman whose husband was cruel to her, and who didn't want to go back to Russia, but complained of being forced. That was job #1.

(3.1) However, she knew that Marina was also a proud woman, and did not want to accept charity from strangers.

(3.2) This is how the Russian Lessons became a new issue. Ruth told Marina that Marina would be "pulling her own weight" for this support by helping Ruth to learn Russian.

(3.3) Those who knew Ruth Paine knew that as a Quaker college girl she believed she received a calling from God to learn the Russian language so that she could be of social use in Charity work for Russian refugees escaping Communism.

(3.4) Ruth was a member of the ACLU, so she was liberal minded -- but Ruth was also Anti-Communist, because Christ is a PACIFIST, she said, and Communists advocate VIOLENT REVOLUTION.

(3.5) So, Ruth was Anti-Communist. She felt very strongly that if Marina Oswald didn't want to return to the USSR, then she would do everything in her power to ensure that Marina Oswald could remain in the USA and raise her family as a single-mother, if necessary.

(3.6) Toward the end of 1963, however, Ruth changed her mind about LHO. He wasn't as bad as she thought. Also, Marina had changed her attitude toward him a great deal, and stopped complaining about him. LHO seemed to be a changed man.

(3.7) Remember that Ruth Paine's negative attitude about LHO was *always* a reflection of Marina's own words. Ruth *never* criticized LHO in front of Marina -- but rather it was Marina who criticized LHO in front of Ruth. (George DeMohrenschildt also said that Marina would often put LHO down.)

(4.0) I doubt that Marina was wounded by Ruth's Redbook comments -- because what Marina told the WC about LHO was far, far worse!

(5.0) Ruth Paine truly believed that Marina Oswald would come back to her house after the JFK murder, and live with her as a friend, at least until Ruth's mother arrived the following February. Ruth's plans to find Marina Oswald work in the USA would have come to the fore again.

(5.1) Ruth Paine tried to reconnect with Marina Oswald month after month after the JFK murder -- but those many people around Marina Oswald after the JFK murder refused to let Marina see Ruth. They told her that Ruth was her enemy.

(5.2) The business managers of Marina were the top of that list.

(5.3) The Oswald family was second on that list.

(5.4) The FBI and Secret Service were also on that list, because the less confusion for them the better.

(5.5) Ruth Paine was assiduously kept away from Marina Oswald after the JFK murder, and Ruth Paine was terribly hurt by that. Marina Oswald sent Ruth one Christmas card -- years later -- with no greeting; only a signature.

(5.6) Marina Oswald's remarks to the Warren Commission about Ruth Paine were very harsh as well, and deeply hurt Ruth Paine.

(5.7) Yet Ruth was willing to forgive those, because the pressure on Marina must have been horrible. Yet Marina always avoided Ruth Paine after the Warren Commission.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

(1.6) The Church lady, Mrs. Ruth Kloepfer, arrived with her two teen-age daughters, one of whom had recently been to Russia and brought her scrapbook with her. To Ruth's pleasant surprise, LHO was a *perfect host*, very gracious, and served their guests snacks and drinks, and politely commented on all the photographs in the girl's scrapbook.

Utter BS.

Unlike you, I have interviewed one of those teen girls, Ruanne (an amalgam family "pet" name to distinguish her from her mother, Ruth). Ruth Kloepfer, Ruth Paine and Marina spent the bulk of the visit talking in the kitchen. Lee was left with the two girls. Ruanne thought that Oswald was hitting on her (which appalled her since he had a pregnant wife sitting in another room with her mother); told her he was heading east "on important business", felt he was evasive about how he was surviving and could not look her in the eye. She told her mother on the way home what an oddball he was. Lee did give her a small book of Russian jokes to help her with Russian which she was studying.

When the FBI called on the Kloepfers, the agents were told that they needed to speak to the girls, not the mother - for the reason stated above - Lee spoke to them the whole time. It was no more than hello and goodbye to the mother. The agents refused to talk to the girls - but they did take the book away for examination and it was returned several weeks later. There is no documentation about that book, but Ruanne still had it when I contacted her in 2001.

--------------------

So what was going on? Nothing. Not a thing. Ruanne was an exceptional beauty, and Lee struggled with Aspergers - not being able to make eye contact, acting "odd" etc... the only "business" he mentioned of any sort was in looking to buy a gun. Maybe he was serious - maybe it was his way of trying to impress her, but the only thing he was going anywhere for was work. He certainly wouldn't have spoken about buying a gun if he already had a rifle and a pistol.

A perfect host? Too rich,,, Ruth wouldn't have known one way or the other. Ruanne did know. He could overcome his Aspergers in a lot of social situations - but I think being left alone with two young and highly attractive young ladies was a bit much for him to cope with...

Utter BS.

Unlike you, I have interviewed one of those teen girls, Ruanne (an amalgam family "pet" name to distinguish her from her mother, Ruth). Ruth Kloepfer, Ruth Paine and Marina spent the bulk of the visit talking in the kitchen. Lee was left with the two girls. Ruanne thought that Oswald was hitting on her (which appalled her since he had a pregnant wife sitting in another room with her mother); told her he was heading east "on important business", felt he was evasive about how he was surviving and could not look her in the eye. She told her mother on the way home what an oddball he was. Lee did give her a small book of Russian jokes to help her with Russian which she was studying.

When the FBI called on the Kloepfers, the agents were told that they needed to speak to the girls, not the mother - for the reason stated above - Lee spoke to them the whole time. It was no more than hello and goodbye to the mother. The agents refused to talk to the girls - but they did take the book away for examination and it was returned several weeks later. There is no documentation about that book, but Ruanne still had it when I contacted her in 2001.

--------------------

So what was going on? Nothing. Not a thing. Ruanne was an exceptional beauty, and Lee struggled with Aspergers - not being able to make eye contact, acting "odd" etc... the only "business" he mentioned of any sort was in looking to buy a gun. Maybe he was serious - maybe it was his way of trying to impress her, but the only thing he was going anywhere for was work. He certainly wouldn't have spoken about buying a gun if he already had a rifle and a pistol.

A perfect host? Too rich,,, Ruth wouldn't have known one way or the other. Ruanne did know. He could overcome his Aspergers in a lot of social situations - but I think being left alone with two young and highly attractive young ladies was a bit much for him to cope with...

Well, Greg, that's your opinion. While it's impressive that you interviewed one of the Klopfer daughters, still you yourself weren't at that party.

Ruth Paine, on the other hand, was at that party. The account that I gave came directly from Ruth Paine.

The account that you're giving came from a woman who was a teenager at the time -- and there is a fair chance that she misread LHO's intentions.

Either, way, it's just a difference of opinion -- and not "utter BS" as you crudely put it.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul - you weren't at that party either, nor did you interview Ruth Paine.

I would also suggest that if a teenage girl remembers feeling hit on that is serious business, not to be dismissed by saying there is a fair chance she misread his intentions.

Paul - you weren't at that party either, nor did you interview Ruth Paine.

I would also suggest that if a teenage girl remembers feeling hit on that is serious business, not to be dismissed by saying there is a fair chance she misread his intentions.

So, Paul B., it comes down to this -- Ruth Paine's word as she gave it in sworn testimony to the Warren Commission -- or the word of a woman who was present at that party as a hormone activated teenager, as told to Greg Parker decades later.

I'll take sides with the sworn testimony of the fully grown woman who was present, and who isn't going for sensationalism.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Utter BS.

--------------------

Well, Greg, that's your opinion. While it's impressive that you interviewed one of the Klopfer daughters, still you yourself weren't at that party.

Ruth Paine, on the other hand, was at that party. The account that I gave came directly from Ruth Paine.

The account that you're giving came from a woman who was a teenager at the time -- and there is a fair chance that she misread LHO's intentions.

Either, way, it's just a difference of opinion -- and not "utter BS" as you crudely put it.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Ruanne was not only a radiant and rare beauty, but also extremely intelligent. She studied psychology before becoming a doctor specializing in autoimmune diseases from memory. I'm certain she was misreading Lee. But I'm equally certain she knew her mother, Ruth Paine and Marina were in another room for almost the entire visit.