The Education Forum

The Shame of Medicine: The Case of General Edwin Walker

1 hour ago, Roger DeLaria said:

Interesting article I came across about psychiatry and Walker.

https://fee.org/articles/the-shame-of-medicine-the-case-of-general-edwin-walker/#0

Roger,

What happened to Walker at the hands of the Kennedy brothers was an egregious crime.  The equivalent today would be locking up Trump or BLM members after a particularly bombastic rally where racial tensions were exploited.  He'd recover $20 million in damages from the government in 2017, and rightfully so.

It made Walker a martyr for hardcore segregationists like Ross Barnett, Joseph Milteer and Guy Banister; and it also made him arguably the leading voice for the Lets-Move-the-Clock-Back-50-Years kind of conservative.

What comes around goes around.

Jason

If it was legal at the time, as noted by the author, then how was it a crime?

Was the execution of JFK a crime? His widow was not eligible for millions in public compensation.

If there was "shame" per say, then with all do respect, as my fellow litigators say, it falls on the legal system then in place.

1 minute ago, Ken Davies said:

Was the execution of JFK a crime? His widow was not eligible for millions in public compensation.

If there was "shame" per say, then with all do respect, as my fellow litigators say, it falls on the legal system then in place.

You're conflating civil and criminal law and citing a psychologist as a legal expert.

RFK and whoever else swore out an arrest warrant lied - which is a crime in a court document.

No criminal event is necessary to return a civil judgment.

Your fellow litigators should go back to law school.

Jason

Another article with same Psychiatrist about the issues in his profession. It's not exclusively about Gen. Walker, it's more broad. Walker is mentioned about halfway down.

https://aeon.co/essays/the-psychiatrist-who-didn-t-believe-in-mental-illness

On 9/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, Ken Davies said:

If there was "shame" per say, then with all due respect, as my fellow litigators say, it falls on the legal system then in place.

Ken,

You're right in the sense that it wasn't a crime in the legal sense -- I think the author meant that it was a crime in the moral sense.

It is always a moral crime to use psychiatry on a person for their political activities.  Even in the 1960's, only the Communists and Third World Fascists did that sort of thing.

I believe that JFK and RFK were morally mistaken to send Ex-General Walker to an insane asylum after his role in the Ole Miss racial riots of September 30, 1962.

If they had instead arrested Ex-General Walker by regular means, and had him tried in Washington DC -- they would have received a conviction, IMHO, and this would have saved JFK's life in Dallas.   Just my opinion.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo