The Education Forum

How will gutting Net Neutrality affect the Education Forum?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The folks at Free Press analyze the FCC's reasoning and break down what's at stake.

https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/11/22/fccs-order-out-weve-read-it-and-heres-what-you-need-know-it-will-end-net-neutrality

The FCC chairman was formerly a staff lawyer at Verizon, and is something of a free-market ideologue (ending net neutrality will produce "economic efficiencies", etc). He can't be reasoned with, so really just a massive outpouring of opposition may turn the tide. If not, Free Press believes it has identified the legal precedents which may turn the tide in court. But emphasis on "may". 

Figure it out, folks. Trump appointed Ajit Pai (that silly guy with the huge Reese's coffee cup, anyone ever see "Bob Roberts"?) Those who voted for Trump naively ended up voting for the Republican Corporate power structure.  Now it's simple math,  3-2 Republican. Our hope is to fight it in court and that's iffy.

Ron asks:

Are political activists protesting this?  Will it not affect Democrats, Independents and Republican's internet usage all?

I guess you might think that but relax!, our great proponents of liberty who also rail against the "Deep State", Breitbart doesn't think that way at all and they tell  you "what to think about it".

So do we finally have a litmus test issue? Actually we've already had a few.Under this equation, there will be more battles in the future concerning your economic rights as citizens. I can understand wanting something different, I did too, but for those who drank the Trump Kool Aid, you have a decision to make, do you want to be a fact based, informed citizen, or a grovelling slave.
I'm confident whatever choice you make will be the right one.
Good Luck!

Thanks for that link, Kirk. I take it the Breitbart author “Milo” is the provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos. The article itself has no intellectual depth, in fact it does not get further than providing a few weak anecdotal suppositions. The core of the argument is a list of types to scorn - “Silicon Valley hipsters, head-in-the-clouds-bloggers, Lefty ideologues who hate big business, radical transparency campaigners, copyright infringers…” - coupled with the premise that ending Net Neutrality will be a blow against those types (“if that means sticking it to the nerds, well…”). 

Back in the “reality-based” community, here is Cory Doctorow on the context of possible court challenges:

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2017/11/27/fcc-chairmans-arrogant-internet-overreach

Absolutely, No substance to the Breitbart article at all. I'm sure it is Milo, as the article is London based.

Great article, Jeff, you give me some hope.

Dummying down a bit, This is a humorous stab about Net Neutrality  from John Oliver, where he often on his show goes into a subject, such as Net Neutrality,  in full depth and it is entertaining , but very informative, and good primer for people who might find such a subject tedious.  In this, he humorously profiles the  commissioner. He also makes reference to the previous transgressions of AT&T and Verizon, and Verizon's public statements to shareholders at their quarterly earnings reports, where they stress that the current Title 2 classification doesn't really present a financial hardship to Verizon at all, despite their present protests of hardship.

https://youtu.be/92vuuZt7wak

Sorry Sir.  I received a email link where I could vote but couldn't find one for others to do so but still wanted to get the site out there in the public realm.  The 600,000 plus signatures seemed significant to me, more so than any other effort I've seen.  The 1 million goal also seems reasonable.  I asked my wife and daughter if they had heard of net neutrality, no.  I'm trying to spread the word about it to family, friends and co workers.  The consequences of net neutrality are scary if one  Looks For and reads up on it.  Once again, it's a topic not addressed by the Main Stream Media.  I urge all to pay attention and spread the word or pay more for less, or no access at all to some sites, maybe this one.

I think maybe I found a link where you can sign.  If it works please do, and spread the word.

https://www.change.org/p/save-net-neutrality-netneutrality

While such a site is still accessible, for free, without having pay to hunt for it.  Which would kill it, tis one and many others. 

Edited by Ron Bulman

9 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Sorry Sir.  I received a email link where I could vote but couldn't find one for others to do so but still wanted to get the site out there in the public realm.  The 600,000 plus signatures seemed significant to me, more so than any other effort I've seen.  The 1 million goal also seems reasonable.  I asked my wife and daughter if they had heard of net neutrality, no.  I'm trying to spread the word about it to family, friends and co workers.  The consequences of net neutrality are scary if one  Looks For and reads up on it.  Once again, it's a topic not addressed by the Main Stream Media.  I urge all to pay attention and spread the word or pay more for less, or no access at all to some sites, maybe this one.

I think maybe I found a link where you can sign.  If it works please do, and spread the word.

https://www.change.org/p/save-net-neutrality-netneutrality

While such a site is still accessible, for free, without having pay to hunt for it.  Which would kill it, tis one and many others. 

Nope.  Can't sign there.  But they are up to 1.3 Million signatures so there has to be a way people are signing.  I'll keep looking.  A million here, a million there, maybe someday an elected official will listen to the public instead of the corporations and their billionaire owners.