The Education Forum

I'm sorry, who was that again?

Oswald's Diary (I have left the spelling errors intact)

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh16/pdf/WH16_CE_24.pdf

Oct. 16. Arrive from Helsinki by train; am met by Intourest Repre. Meet my Intorist guied Rimma Sherikova

Oct. 17 – Rimma meets me for Intourist sighseeing

Oct. 20. Rimmer in the afternoon

Oct. 21. (attempted suicide) I think "when Rimma comes at 8. to find me dead it wil be a great shock. About 8 .00 Rimma finds my un-concious... Poor Riminea stays by my side

Oct. 22. Later in afternoon I am visited by Rimma, Later they leave, I am alone with Rimma

Oct. 23. Later Rimma visits

Oct. 24. Hospital routine, Rimina visits me in afternoon.

Oct. 26. Rimma visits.

Wed. Oct. 28 Leave hospital in intorist car, with Rimma for Hotel "Berlin" Rimma notifies me that, pass & registration office whshes to see me about my future. Later Rimma and car pick me up. Later Rimma comes to check on me

Oct. 31. I make my dision . Getting passport at 12"00 I meet and talk with Rimma for a few minutes

Nov.17 – Dec. 30 All meals I take in my room . Rinanea arranged that. I see no one speak to no-one accept every-now-and-than Rinunea,... During December I paid no money to the hotel, but Rimmer told Hotel I was expecting a lot of money from USA

I give up.

Steve Thomas

Hi Steve, 

In your first post you wrote, in part, “I give up.”

Too soon, maybe, but you noticed an anomaly and were puzzled enough by it to start a thread. Good on you!

According to Oswald’s Historic Diary, “Rimma Sherikova” was Lee Oswald’s “Intorist guied [sic]”. In the first five pages of the diary, her first name occurs 19 times. Her first name is spelled “Rimma” 14 times, 4 times it is spelled “Rimmer”, and 1 time the spelling is illegible. 

(Steve, you apparently used the transcription of the diary to make your list of “Rimma” misspellings. I used the original diary, and my list is at the bottom. I think you’ll find it more accurate.)

“ICO” stands for “Igor”, “Case”, and, “Oswald”, and according to my reading of the ICO puzzles, Oswald’s Historic Diary used some of Lee’s experiences in the Soviet Union as a background, and while Oswald may have done the penmanship himself, the diary was actually the creation of Richard Case Nagell and Igor V. Vaganov. “Historic Diary” anagrams to “Richard’s ’88’ Toy”, and the diary is a storehouse for “88” reference puzzles made by Richard and Igor. The entire list of “88” puzzles is in my June 25, 2014 post at the link below. 

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/20276-the-oswald-code/?page=1

We have two names to puzzle out, and we should be looking for the puzzle maker’s intended anagrams of:

(1) “Rimma Sherikova”
(2) “Rimmer Sherikova”

First, the correct spelling, “Rimma Sherikova”, anagrams to:

“Hark! a IV’s memior”

“Rimma Sherikova” might well have been the woman’s name, but my guess is that Igor Vaganov, seeing the anagram-stunt possibilities in the name, decided to puzzle it up. The correct spelling of “Rimma Sherikova” also anagrams to:

Rimmer: HO’s aka, IV”

And,

“A IV ‘Rimmer’, ask HO”

Here’s IV’s misspelled “Rimmer” inside the correct spelling of Rimma Sherikova, and we also have an invitation to “ask HO”, that is, to “ask” the name “Harvey Oswald”, which anagrams to:

“Aye, LO ‘HD’ was a R/V”

Apparently meaning that LO’s “Historic Diary” was actually penned by “R/V”, Richard and Vaganov. Next, here’s an anagram of IV’s incorrect spelling of “Rimmer Sherikova”:

“H make errors. I’m IV”

And,

“IV make him errors”

And here’s a final anagram of the incorrect spelling of “Rimmer Sherikova”:

“Mr. V, hero maker. 88-18”

(The number/letter translation key is in footnote #1) 

Now we are being directed to puzzle number “18” in the list of “88” diary puzzles. Puzzle “18” is “Sick Persons”, and it anagrams to:

“K’S ‘SIC’ PERSON”

My reading of the ICO puzzle system leads me to believe that Lee Oswald was working with “ICO” to double cross their assassination bosses, attempting to save Kennedy’s life. On the top-ten list of Oswald characteristics, his poor spelling might well be includded [sic] in that list.

In my view, Richard Nagell and Igor Vaganov were masters at the art of “Steganography”, which is a branch of Cryptology where coded information is embedded in ordinary looking discourse, such as a diary. Creating steganographic anagram puzzles becomes much easier if the words to be decoded or puzzled out can be occasionally misspelled. 

Tom

Footnote #1, Letter/Number Key:
A=0)(B=1)(C=2)(D=3)(E=4)(F=5)(G=6)(H=7)(I=8)(J=9)(K=10)(L=11)(M=12)(N=13)(O=14)(P=15)(Q=16)(R=17)(S=18)(T=19)(U=20)(V=21)(W=22)(X=23)(Y=24)(Z=25) 

Footnote #2:
Page #1 of diary:
Oct. 16: “Meet Intorist guied Rimma Sherikova.”
Oct. 17: “Rimma meets me for Intourist sighseeing…”
Oct. 20: “Rimmer in the afternoon…”
Oct. 21: “I think “when Rimma comes at…”
Oct. 21: “…about 8:00 Rimma finds me unconcious…”  

Page #2 of diary:
Oct. 21 [continued]: “…Poor Rimmer stays by my side…”
Oct. 22: “Later in afternoon I am visited by Rimma…”
Oct. 22: “Later they leave, I am alone with Rimma…”
Oct. 23: “Later Rimma visits…”
Oct. 24: “Hospital routine, Rimma visits me in afternoon.”
Oct. 26: “Rimma visits.”
Oct. 28: “Leave hospital in intorist car. with Rimma for Hotel “Berlin”

Page #3 of diary:
Oct. 28 (con.) Rimma notifies me that, pass & registration…”  Later Rimma and car pick me up…Later

Oct. 28: “Rimma comes to check on me.”
Oct. 31: “…I meet and talk with Rimma for a few minutes.”

Page #5 of diary:
Nov. 17 - Dec. 30: “All meals I take in my room. Rim??? [illegible] arranged that….”
Nov. 17 - Dec. 30: “…every-now-and-than Rimmer,…”
Nov. 17 - Dec. 30: “During December I paid no money to the hotel, but Rimmer told Hotel I was…”

Page #1
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth339322/m1/17/
Page #2
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth339322/m1/21/
Page #3
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth339322/m1/25/
Page #5
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth339322/m1/33/

Edited by Tom Hume

Did Oswald have a history of diary writing and keeping before his sojourn to Russia?

Or was this a first for him?

Did he start this diary when he first boarded the freighter to France?

When Oswald returned from Russia did he keep and make entries into a diary here?

Considering random speculations regarding Oswald's motivations for keeping a diary of his doings in Russia I guess one as logical as any other could be that he was doing this whole thing (defection) for the purpose of writing a book about it?

Which he thought might be a big seller ( when he returned back to the U.S. ) considering how extraordinarily cold war high drama attractive he imagined his adventure to be?

Whatever, I've read the beginning of the diary and my take is that who ever wrote this was more fixated on the women he was encountering and his feelings about them including attraction versus anything else when he first arrived and was put up in his hotel, visited and driven around for various reasons.

Oswald seemed to be ...well...horny! And enjoying his interactions with all these interesting and attractive women and his odd little celebrity. But his extreme wrist cutting action throws things into the bizarre again. Like almost everything else regards this whole story.

Edited by Joe Bauer

40 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Did Oswald have a history of diary writing and keeping before his sojourn to Russia?

When Oswald returned from Russia did he keep and make entries into a diary here?

Considering random speculations regarding Oswald's motivations for keeping a diary of his doings in Russia I guess one as logical as any other could be that he was doing this whole thing (defection) for the purpose of writing a book about it?

Which he thought might be a big seller ( when he returned back to the U.S. ) considering how extraordinarily cold war high drama attractive he imagined his adventure to be?

Whatever, I've read the beginning of the diary and my take is that who ever wrote this was more fixated on the women he was encountering and his feelings about them including attraction versus anything else when he first arrived and was put up in his hotel, visited and driven around for various reasons.

Oswald seemed to be ...well...horny! And enjoying his interactions with all these interesting and attractive women and his odd little celebrity. But his extreme wrist cutting action throws things into the bizarre again. Like almost everything else regards this whole story.

Joe,

You might have to take the Diary with a grain of salt. I have read that there are those who believe the Diary was written in one sitting.

It does seem odd that there isn't any Diary for his 16 day trip to La Havre, France aboard the S.S. Marion Lykes as he contemplates his "defection" to the Soviet Union. No women I guess, huh? The Diary that we have starts on October 16th on his arrival in Russia from Helsinki.

I read the doctor's report on Oswald's wrist incident. He said he put four stitches in and that there wasn't any damage to the underlying tendons. I had a dog bite me one time and it took more than four stitches.

Steve Thomas

On 2/3/2018 at 10:59 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Joe,

In my opinion, Lee Harvey Oswald (LHO) was a fairly well-read quasi-intellectual, who missed a fair break in life.  In today's world, he would have gone to college -- he was clearly smart enough by today's standards.  He did seem to have dyslexia, and perhaps even Asperger's, so perhaps in 1960 he would have been disqualified for college.

Anyway, he read a LOT.   I believe he read Ernest Hemingway, too, because it seems to me that his sojourn into Russia was an imitation of the sojourns of Hemingway into Spain and Cuba. 

It seems to me that LHO never wrote a diary until he entered Russia, so he  possibly expected to be rich and famous by keeping a diary in Russia, and selling it when he returned to the USA.   My evidence is that LHO spent $10 for a typist to type his memoirs when he first arrived in Fort Worth.   That's $100 in today's money, and LHO was very poor at that time.   So, it seems to me that he had high hopes for it.

(By the way, the typist said she was short-changed -- her bill was higher, but LHO refused to pay it in full.)

His hopes may have been dashed when George De Mohrenschildt read his memoirs, and just laughed.   LHO could read very well -- but he had no talent for writing.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo