The Education Forum

Dealey Plaza UK Canterbury Seminar 2018

Guest Bart Kamp

45 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Thanks Eddie, in answer I will say that personally I find considerable indication of "rogue action" before the assassination and a good bit of evidence that of concern at the highest levels of the CIA and NSC after the fact that there had been a rogue action, involving at least some CIA officers either in a conspiracy if not the attack itself.  I lay that out in considerable detail in NEXUS so there's no worry about disclosing my hypotheses, I haven't changed my views since I did that book

Bottom line, I think that the stimulus for the conspiracy was two fold, within certain exile social networks it was stimulated by JFK's actions in settling the missile crisis without ousting Castro and that "track" began as early as the winter of 62/63.   However I think a separate track opened up in spring 63 when Angleton began discussing the back channel communications with Cuba and Castro's outreach with Harvey.   That message was repeated at JM/WAVE by Harvey and Morales and a track 2 action to trigger action against JFK as a traitor began by late summer. 

To answer your question, I don't think Angleton did know the specifics of that conspiracy however he was certainly well connected enough to realize after the fact there had been one,  his "I don't know who struck John" would be literally true, just without the addition of "but I know someone did and I have my suspicions of who".

One of the indications of individuals suspecting that individuals in the exile community were involved comes by the secret investigation conducted using the Cuban Intel Group at JM/WAVE, an investigation Shackley about but which was performed and which likely never got out of Miami.  One good tactic to look for weaknesses is to do your own investigation and find out who is willing to expose you, and make sure they don't.

Larry - do you recall whether William Harvey was ever in Madrid circa 1962-63?

Paul,  Havey's most recent biography (by Stockton) would be the best source on that but I don't recall Harvey being in Spain during that period (62/63) or even earlier when he was on his fall 1960 Staff D recruiting trip in Europe - that took him to France, Italy, Belgium and Luxembourg.  As far as 1963 goes, to my recollection he didn't make it outside Italy.  As CIA station chief in Rome, his duty station was pretty clearly in country.

3 hours ago, Bart Kamp said:

@ 6:30 Blunt says that John Armstrong is on solid ground with 2 Oswalds in NYC.

@   13:45   He makes the "baby and bathwater analogy

@ 15:50 Betsy Wolf HSCA investigator (focus on office of security)

@ 23:00 boxes of US attorny's office witness statements missing at NARA

@ 32:30 talk of how Oswalds USSR visit info was manipulated in 1959 (mole hunt)

@ 36:20 FBI was able to beat the CIA in gathering Oswald info. Hoover knew of LHO

@ 37:17 INS documents gone

@44:10 CIA co-opted INS employees

@45:10 JFK re-working banking industry. Wanted his own monetary policy

Thanks Bart, Excellent interview!

Edited by Michael Clark

15 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Paul,  Havey's most recent biography (by Stockton) would be the best source on that but I don't recall Harvey being in Spain during that period (62/63) or even earlier when he was on his fall 1960 Staff D recruiting trip in Europe - that took him to France, Italy, Belgium and Luxembourg.  As far as 1963 goes, to my recollection he didn't make it outside Italy.  As CIA station chief in Rome, his duty station was pretty clearly in country.

Pardon my ignorance here. Perhaps I need to do a little more reading on Harvey. If you could elaborate on Harvey’s recruitment trip in 1960, or direct me to a book, maybe one of yours, I would appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Eddy Bainbridge said:

Hi Mr Kamp,

There was a question I guess would have been hard for you to ask in public: But I would like to know what Malcolm Blunt thinks of your research on Prayerman? Can you enlighten me?

Never asked him, but he has given me plenty of support by mailing/handing me various documents

Edited by Bart Kamp

Paul, I cover Harvey's recruiting trip briefly in NEXUS but I'm sure you would find more detail in Stockton's fine biography:

https://www.amazon.com/Flawed-Patriot-Rise-Legend-Harvey/dp/1574889907/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525640329&sr=1-1&keywords=bayard+stockton

Stockton actually gives samples of Harvey's notes from the trip, including Harvey's remarks about the type of people he contacted in each country and his assessments on being introduced to WI/ROGUE and QJ/WIN

On a side note, I think you will find Hunt's travels to Spain and his move there occurred beginning in 1964 and were a result of his serving as a personal liaison to Artime,  who requested his involvement much to the objection of Hecksher and the AM/WOLD people.  Hecksher even made an effort to break the two apart but Hunt just wouldn't keep his nose out of it and apparently Artime got his way.  Its worth noting that the documents show Hunt personally contacted Artime and inserted himself in with him, something that irritated Hecksher no end. 

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

Paul, I cover Harvey's recruiting trip briefly in NEXUS but I'm sure you would find more detail in Stockton's fine biography:

https://www.amazon.com/Flawed-Patriot-Rise-Legend-Harvey/dp/1574889907/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525640329&sr=1-1&keywords=bayard+stockton

Stockton actually gives samples of Harvey's notes from the trip, including Harvey's remarks about the type of people he contacted in each country and his assessments on being introduced to WI/ROGUE and QJ/WIN

On a side note, I think you will find Hunt's travels to Spain and his move there occurred beginning in 1964 and were a result of his serving as a personal liaison to Artime,  who requested his involvement much to the objection of Hecksher and the AM/WOLD people.  Hecksher even made an effort to break the two apart but Hunt just wouldn't keep his nose out of it and apparently Artime got his way.  Its worth noting that the documents show Hunt personally contacted Artime and inserted himself in with him, something that irritated Hecksher no end. 

Thanks - had that wrong. I’ll have to see where I got the misinfo on Hunt in Madrid. Maybe a visit before his official post