The Education Forum

The Warren Commission And Their Ego

This is a good doc on  DCI McCone's interactions about the Warren Commission.

"DCI :All right, fine, and if anything along this line develops -- delighted you are serving on that committee. That will be a very important thing.

Russell: I am certainly not delighted. I really think the President took unfair advantage of me. He called me and talked to me about going on that committee, who he could get on there and I didn't think any of the Supreme Court judges would serve and I told him I didn't think they should, so he said, well, they had to have a judge. I said well get , Madina (phonetic) or somebody like that and the next thing I knew he called me and said here is the committee I just announced to the press and he had me on there and there wasn't anyway in the world I could get out of it then. I haven't got time to do it 'in the first place and not of the disposition and I just don't like Chief Justice Warren either."

7. "The President noted with some considerable contempt the fact that certain people in the Department of Justice had suggested to him on Saturday that an independent investigation of the President's. assassination should be conducted by a high level group of attorneys and jurists, probably headed by Governor Dewey. President Johnson rejected this idea, and then heard that the identical plan was to be advanced in a lead editorial in the Washington Post. The President felt this was a deliberate plant and he was exceedingly critical. He personally intervened, but failed with Mr. Al Friendly and finally "killed" the editorial with Mrs. Graham."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McCloy: 0. K. - Have. you seen that Buchanan book?

DCI Yes, I have. I have several copies of it. I sent two or three copies over and then I got 2 more copies today and sent sent over there.

McCloy: Sent over here? There is a new one out by Gunn.

DCI Yes, I haven't seen it.

McCloy That is in French. Talks about being translated from the English, but I can't find the English copy of it.

DCI I'll check it out.

McCloy: I am told it is more interestedly written than the Buchanan one, - I talked to this fellow Gen. Staylan. He is a French general somewhat related to the de Gaulle movernent and he is an active officer I ran into him somewhere along the line and I got to talking about the assassination with him and talked about the extent of all this todo. And one evening he said, well, I 'll tell you, you know I have·been associated with de Gaulle's govt. to some degree and thought to be in that camp. But he said, this assassination business and all these articles have now become sort of interwoven into the anti-American propaganda of France which is quite prevalent.

DCI: Now, the difficulty is, that this fellow Buchanan is a very articulate on the radio and on TV. He has made several broadcasts and he has gotten his story over to the point that if your report doesn't dispose of it point by point, your report is a whitewash.

http://documents.theblackvault.com/documents/jfk/NARA-Oct2017/2018/104-10322-10186.pdf

On 6/5/2018 at 5:06 PM, Evan Marshall said:

Because Dallas happened before Watergate AND because the WC thought they would never have to explain their ineptitude or willful negligence we have countless leads to chase. I read the 26 volumes twice and that was enough to convince me there was a conspiracy. Your mileage may vary.

Well put Evan...  now, by way of example, we will show that one of the key conclusions of the WCR... #12... is about as obnoxious a declaration as there is:

Most don't even bother reading the report itself....  so let's cut to the chase and see what the WCR actually tried to prove:

1. The shots which killed President Kennedy and wounded Governor Connally were fired from the sixth floor window at the southeast corner of the Texas School Book Depository.
2. The weight of the evidence indicates that there were three shots fired. 

3. Although it is not necessary to any essential findings of the Commission to determine just which shot hit Governor Connally, there is very persuasive evidence from the experts to indicate that the same bullet which pierced the President’s throat also caused Governor Connally’s wounds

4. The shots which killed President Kennedy and wounded Governor Connally were fired by Lee Harvey Oswald

(a) The Mannlicher-Carcano 6.5-millimeter Italian rifle from which the shots were tired was owned by and in the possession of Oswald.
(b) Oswald carried this rifle into the Depository Building on the morning of November 22, 1963.

(c) Oswald, at the time of the assassination was present at the window from which the shots were fired.
(d) Shortly after the assassination, the Mannlicher-Carcnno rifle belonging to Oswald was found partially hidden between some cartons on the sixth floor and the improvised paper bag in which Oswald brought the rifle to the Depository was found close by the window from which the shots were fired.
(e) Based on testimony of the experts and their analysis of films of the assassination, the Commission has concluded that a rifleman of Lee Harvey Oswald’s capabilities could have fired the shots from the rifle used in the assassination within the elapsed time of the shooting. The Commission has concluded further that Oswald possessed the capability with a rifle which enabled him to commit the assassination.19

(f) Oswald lied to the police after his arrest concerning important substantive matters.
(g) Oswald had attempted to kill Maj. Gen. Edwin A. Walker (Resigned, U.S. Army) on April 10,1963, thereby demonstrating his disposition to take human life

5. Oswald killed Dallas Police Patrolman J. D. Tippit approximately 45 minutes after the assassination 

6. Within 80 minutes of the assassination and 35 minutes of the Tippit killing Oswald resisted arrest at the theatre by attempting to shoot another Dallas police officer. 

7. The Commission has reached the following conclusions concerning Oswald’s interrogation and detention by the Dallas police 

8. The Commission has reached the following conclusions concerning the killing of Oswald by Jack Ruby on November 24, 1963 

9. The Commission has found no evidence that either Lee Harvey Oswald or Jack Ruby was part of any conspiracy, domestic or foreign, to assassinate President Kennedy 

10. In its entire investigation the Commission has found no evidence of conspiracy, subversion, or disloyalty to the U.S. Government by any Federal, State, or local official 

11. On the basis of the evidence before the Commission it concludes that Oswald acted alone

Before we go on to #12...  This is April 27, 1964:

April 27, 1964
MEMORANDUM
TO:     J. Lee Rankin

The purpose of this memorandum is to explain the reasons why certain members of the staff feel that it is important to take certain on-site photographs in connection with the location of the approximate points at which the three bullets struck the occupants of the Presidential limousine.

Our report presumably will state that the President was hit by the first bullet, Governor Connally by the second, and the President by the third and fatal bullet.  The report will also conclude that the bullets were fired by one person located in the sixth floor southeast corner window of the TSBD building.

As our investigation now stands, however, we have not shown that these events could possibly have occurred in the manner suggested above.  All we have is a reasonable hypothesis which appears to be supported by the medical testimony but which has not been checked out against the physical facts at the scene of the assassination.

We have not yet examined the assassination scene to determine whether the assassin in fact could have shot the President prior to frame 190.  We could locate the position on the ground which corresponds to this frame and it would then be our intent to establish by photography that the assassin would have fired the first shot at the President prior to this point.  Our intention is not to establish the point with complete accuracy, but merely to substantiate the hypothesis which underlies the conclusions that Oswald was the sole assassin.

Read that last sentence again....  Our intention is not to establish the point with complete accuracy, but merely to substantiate the hypothesis which underlies the conclusions that Oswald was the sole assassin. 

:huh:

As you learned... the 26 volumes do not support or authenticate any of these conclusions... case in point Conclusion 12

CONCLUSION #12.  The Commission recognizes that the varied responsibilities of the President require that he make frequent trips to all parts of the United States and abroad. Consistent with their high responsibilities Presidents can never be protected from every potential threat,. The Secret Service’s difficulty in meeting its protective responsibility varies with the activities and the nature of the occupant of the Office of President and his willingness to conform to plans for his safety. In appraising the performance of the Secret Service it should be understood that it has to do its work within such limitations. Nevertheless, the Commission believes that recommendations for improvements in Presidential protection are compelled by the facts disclosed in this investigation.

(a) The complexities of the Presidency have increased so rapidly in recent years that the Secret Service has not been able to develop or to secure adequate resources of personnel and facilities to fulfill its important assignment. This situation should be promptly remedied.

(b) The Commission has concluded that the criteria and procedures of the Secret Service designed to identify and protect against persons considered threats to the president, were not adequate prior to the assassination.

(1) The Protective Research Section of the Secret Service, which is responsible for, its preventive work, lacked sufficient trained personnel and the mechanical and technical assistance needed to fulfill its responsibility.

(2) Prior to the assassination the Secret Service’s criteria dealt with direct threats against the President. Although the Secret Service treated the direct threats against the President adequately, it failed to recognize t,he necessity of identifying other potential sources of danger to his security. The Secret Service did not develop adequate and specific criteria defining those persons or groups who might present a danger to the President. In effect, the Secret Service largely relied upon other Federal or Stab agencies to supply the information necessary for it to fulfill its preventive responsibilities, although it did ask for information about direct threats to the President.

(c) The Commission has concluded that there was insufficient liaison and coordination of information between the Secret Service and other Federal agencies necessarily concerned with Presidential protection. Although the FBI, in the normal exercise of its responsibility, had secured considerable information about Lee Harvey Oswald, it had no official responsibility, under the Secret Service criteria existing at the time of the President’s trip to Dallas, to refer to the Secret Service the information it had about Oswald. The Commission has concluded, however, that the FBI took an unduly restrictive view of its role in preventive intelligence work prior to the assassination. A more carefully coordinated treatment of the Oswald case by the FBI might well have resulted in bringing Oswald’s activities to the attention of the Secret Service. .

(d) The Commission has concluded that some of the advance preparations in Dallas made by the Secret Service, such as the detailed security measures taken at Love Field and the Trade Mart, were thorough and well executed. In other respects, however, the Commission has concluded that the advance preparations for the President’s trip were deficient.

(1) Although the Secret Service is compelled to rely to a great extent on local law enforcement officials, its procedure at the time of the Dallas trip did not call for well-defined instructions as to the respective responsibilities of the police officials and others assisting in the protection of the President.

(2) The procedures relied upon by the Secret Service for detecting the presence of an assassin located in a building along a motorcade route were inadequate. At the time of the trip to Dallas, the Secret Service as a matter of practice did not investigate, or cause to be checked, any building located along the motorcade route to be taken by the President. The responsibility for observing windows in these buildings during the motorcade was divided between local police personnel stationed on the streets to regulate crowds and Secret Service agents riding in the motorcade. Based on its investigation the Commission has concluded that these arrangements during the trip to Dallas were clearly not sufficient.

(e) The configuration of the Presidential car and the seating arrangements of the Secret Service agents in the car did not afford the Secret Service agents the opportunity they should have had to be of immediate assistance to the President at the first sign of danger.

(f) Within these limitations, however, the Commission finds that the agents most immediately responsible for the President’s safety reacted promptly at the time the shots were fired from the TSBD

If we agree that the "Agents most responsible for the President's safety" were Greer and Kellerman...  we can see that despite a shot or more being fired there is no reaction but to watch until his head is removed....

"reacted promptly at the time the shots were fired from the TSBD"   

Are we to conclude that since no shots were fired from the TSBD this conclusion is not only oxymoronic but cleverly deceptive...?

The very LAST THING these men did was their job....

Edited by David Josephs

The last time I read all 26 volumes was in the late 60's and a number of other things happened in life was it did with all of us, Got married, graduated with a B.A, in History, became a cop in Detroit whose assignments  included CSI, Tactical Unit-twice, Homicide-twice, and the original firearms and tactics instructor for the SWAT Team, And, of course, I kept being drawn back to Dallas. I was also a trained and qualified sniper. Also picked up an MA in Education.

I learned something very valuable early at Homicide-the truth hangs together and does not need tweaking. The WC does not hang together and Warren's comment that this report of a lone discontent with no connections to the government who was shot by a person with no ties to organized crime whose evidence will not be released in our life time. I solved murders with less clues than that!

I'm personally convinced that I know what happened and where the shooters were drawn from based on statement from two buds who were retired CIA who were recruited from the Green Berets. Operators not analysists.

As I said earlier I'm not charging admission or collecting dues so I see no need to explain or justify my beliefs.

1 hour ago, Evan Marshall said:

As I said earlier I'm not charging admission or collecting dues so I see no need to explain or justify my beliefs

Insight comes in very small increments sometimes Evan...

If you have something you believe adds to understanding, I for one would appreciated your sharing it....

You may be aware of the written POV of the few snipers who have weighed in on the event..  "Operators" as you call them.

Others turning over a stone sometimes helps shift the perspective enough to see things never seen before...

thanks for weighing in...  your POV here is indeed appreciated.... despite the cadre of the few who want so badly to believe in a benevolent government

One of the first things I was taught in sniper school was to pick a position with the greatest field of fire and that  the hardest shot should be the first and to let the target come closer and closer rather than further apart.

CIA buds told me that two shooters were from JM Wave and the third was a sniper from Vietnam who was flown right back afterwards. Sniper was in the Dal Tex building the the shooters from JM Wave were both behind he fence line.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, Evan Marshall said:

One of the first things I was taught in sniper school was to pick a position with the greatest field of fire and that  the hardest shot should be the first and to let the target come closer and closer rather than further apart.

CIA buds told me that two shooters were from JM Wave and the third was a sniper from Vietnam who was flown right back afterwards. Sniper was in the Dal Tex building the the shooters from JM Wave were both behind he fence line.

thanks Evan...

Curious... many talk of "triangulation" yet the fence line and Dal-Tex are only 2 sides...  the southern Knoll / south end of the overpass has been described as the third side by those involved - if you believe Tosh Plumlee...

If we are talking about military precision - which I agree with 100% - wouldn't a triangulation have been created in Dealey?

It would also make sense if JMWAVE was the source for this personnel... that Joannides would be put in place as gatekeeper of the info out of JM Wave and lead the investigation astray...

That, and unless the desire is to get caught, a sniper would usually not stick the end of the rifle out the window but would be recessed and unseen...  right?

Edited by David Josephs

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, Evan Marshall said:

let the target come closer and closer rather than further apart

Like this?

:cheers

Edited by David Josephs

Sorry, but I've not found Tosh convincing. As we saw in Dealy Plaza there was a lot of confusion about the source of shots. And depending how they were dressed and we've seen at least one sample of apparently phony creds and a successful escape might have appallingly simple.