The Education Forum

The CIA's Military Pedigree

This is an important topic for us. The recent documents release has a few offerings which detail the way in which the the CIA, by certain acts of Congress and or the Executive Branch skimmed the cream off the the top of the armed services. I and sure they are in the New Documents Release thread.

There is also a Fletcher Prouty video out there, which I have not been able to relocate, in which he illustrates this process and comments on its tremendous effect on the mindset of the Clandestine Services.

Once CIA moved from under military authority to the kind of corporate-academic structure {the "Company") that Allen Dulles and James Angleton were used to, yet still with power to interpenetrate with the military, you can see how it would have been a systemic shock for Kennedy to order all covert military operations to be put under authority of JSOC.

Edited by David Andrews

• 3 weeks later...

Bedell Smith took Wisner's operations group away from the State Department, and the Joint Chiefs rubber stamped it because of Smith's general pull at the Pentagon.

Sorry, I forgot to include the date:  October 1950.  And, in January '51, Dulles takes a formal position as Deputy Director for Plans and becomes Wisner's immediate boss.

Edited by Tony Rose
forgot to include the dates