The Education Forum

The FBI, JFK and JIm Garrison

This was my presentation at CAPA.

I had not been to one of these in about three years.  But since Oliver went, so did I.  As most of you know, I have been working on Kennedy's foreign policy for about the last 5-6 years.  Since Oliver was there, I switched back to my old topic.  There are some things in this that I had never brought up at any conference.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-fbi-jfk-and-jim-garrison

Thanks Rob.

That is what another attendee said to me.  He liked the conversational tone.

There were several things I said that were not included in the talk.  Like Novel knowing the current address of Dulles' office and correcting the lawyer for Playboy on that.

BTW, I added some things during the presentation. 

Angleton was very upset because Garrison came off so well in the Playboy interview.  It was the first time really that he had a chance to discuss his ideas at length without being obstructed or interrupted (compare to Carson).

So Angleton made Gordon file a lawsuit against Playboy and Garrison. 

David Krupp was the attorney for Playboy.  Krupp kept on asking Gordon about his relationship with Allen Dulles. Gordon kept bobbing and weaving and would not give him a straight answer.

So Krupp says, well, I guess we have to write a letter to Mr. Dulles, and he mentions the address he has for him.

Gordon interjects and says, oh no, that's his old address, and he then gave him his new one. 😁

Dulles and Angleton, no the CIA was not worried about Garrison were they?

Edited by James DiEugenio

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

BTW, I added some things during the presentation. 

Angleton was very upset because Garrison came off so well in the Playboy interview.  It was the first time really that he had a chance to discuss his ideas at length without being obstructed or interrupted (compare to Carson).

So Angleton made Gordon file a lawsuit against Playboy and Garrison. 

David Krupp was the attorney for Playboy.  Krupp kept on asking Gordon about his relationship with Allen Dulles. Gordon kept bobbing and weaving and would not give him a straight answer.

So Krupp says, well, I guess we have to write a letter to Mr. Dulles, and he mentions the address he has for him.

Gordon interjects and says, oh no, that's his old address, and he then gave him his new one. 😁

Dulles and Angleton, no the CIA was not worried about Garrison were they?

One of the creepiest things about Dulles and Angleton was their sophisticated grasp of modern propaganda techniques-- controlling the narrative, repeating the lies, and aggressively obstructing public awareness of the truth by any means necessary (including serial murders of witnesses.)

It's somewhat surprising that Garrison wasn't murdered by the Company.  They probably thought that character assassination would be more effective than his martyrdom.

That is correct William.

When Garrison was arrested on those phony charges, he told the Justice Dept agents who handcuffed him, "I thought I was going to be shot." 

Garrison later concluded that this was the idea, to discredit him.  And like I said in my presentation, to have Connick incinerate his files.  Or the ones he could.  Thank God, Garrison took some with him.  The ones he gave to his pal Steve Bordelon for safekeeping mysteriously disappeared.  

Rob:

I should reply to your query about doing something like a slide show on JFK's foreign policy

I have done that.  As you can see below:

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/introduction-to-jfk-s-foreign-policy-a-motive-for-murder

I just now finally went back and finished reading this.  Considering the depth of just this aspect of the assassination I find the conciseness amazing given the amount of information presented.  An excellent place to start for anyone unfamiliar with or vaguely so regarding New Orleans, and, a great summation including the newer information for someone who thinks they've read a bit about it (like me).

I don't remember anything about the Walter Telex.  I tried zooming in but it's still too blurry then goes off the page.  Found no reference in the index in Destiny Betrayed.  I'm thinking surely I've read something about it before but can't place it.

The FBI investigating Shaw in December 1963 seems familiar but I can't place where I might have read this either.  Maybe in a K & k article?

I remember DeBrueys as a NO FBI agent but not that Oswald was his informant.  I'd forgotten he was so tight with Bannister, Ferrie and SAS that he kept an office at the Customs House near Canal street (pg. 109), and, that it was he who Oswald first asked to see when arrested.

I didn't dig for this but wasn't the Shaw trial when someone passing by in a car threw a hand grenade at Nagell, which is why he didn't testify?

Regarding the maps of Ferrie and Smith wouldn't it have been interesting if Garrison could have questioned Smith on the stand?   What use did you have for a map of the sewer system for Dallas?  Where did you get it?  Did you know Ferrie, Shaw, Bannister... Jack Martin says he met Oswald through Ferrie in  Bannisters office and you were there with Ferrie (pg. 112)…  But John Connally of all people prevented this.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Thanks ST.  I am actually getting a lot of that.  

Ron:  The Walter Telex is in Garrison's book (220-21)

Ok, thanks Jim.  I had read it.  I just didn't remember the name of the agent in NO who received it 5 days before the assassination.  Then copied it immediately afterwards, before it disappeared from the file.  It's pretty wild to think this memo from the director was received by every SAC in the country, first by the agent tending the teletype that night at each office then further distributed by them (in Walters case to 5 other agents).  Yet all those copies disappeared and none of the agents ever mentioned it.

Another thing the presentation brought home for me is about DeLoach shutting down the FBI NO investigation.  I think I only read of this somewhat recently (maybe The Beat Goes On article?) but at that time I had this thought.  Even if he first thought of doing so he wouldn't have with out consulting with Hoover beforehand.  JMO.  If so, it means the order really came from the director himself, no matter who gave it his full weight was behind it.  But I have to wonder, did it maybe go Through Hoover too?  Given their relationship might Angleton have suggested such?  No way to prove it but I'd bet he, Dulles and Helms were monitoring developments closely, everywhere.

I have little doubt that the order came from Hoover.  But I could not trace it to him.

Which is not surprising.

About your other point concerning the CIA.

One of the most fascinating documents the ARRB declassified was a memo from Helms to Hoover in very early March.  If you stripped away its  inter office etiquette it said: keep your blasted nose out of Mexico City.  We are supposed to be doing that investigation.

The truth was that the CIA did not do any inquiry about Mexico City, at least after the first couple of weeks. The new documents reveal that the CIA was tearing their hair out trying to find proof Oswald was there. They couldn't do it. They turned it over to Secretary of Interior Echeveria and his aide de camp Ochoa, as David Josephs found out.  Even the Warren Commission was puzzled as to why the FBI started its inquiry so late.  As most people know, Echeveria would not even let the Commission lawyers talk to Duran.  As far as I know, the only CIA guy they talked to was Scott.  Scott played them a tape he said was of Oswald.  Slawson later said this was so, many, many years later.  He then backed off of it. 

Three questions about this matter:

1. If it was Oswald on the Scott tape, then what tape did the FBI send up to Dallas within 24 hours, a tape that was clearly not Oswald?

2.  If it was Oswald, then why did Angleton sweep down on Mexico City right after Scott's death and steal the tape from his safe?  A tape of Oswald would help the CIA against charges that they faked LHO being there.

3. Lopez and Hardway went through the transcripts of all the alleged Oswald calls that the CIA transcribed.  There is a table in the Mexico City report on this. They concluded that none of them were LHO.

IMO, this is why Helms did not want Hoover investigating Mexico City.  What the CIA did there in cahoots with Echeveria and Ochoa essentially forced Hoover into a box.  If he investigates what happened down there, he unravels a cover up, perhaps a conspiracy. If he accepts what the CIA gave the WC, he goes along with the cover up.

No brainer. He chose the latter. As he admitted in the marginalia of that memo I showed in my presentation as uncovered by Newman.

Edited by James DiEugenio

On 11/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, James DiEugenio said:

This was my presentation at CAPA.

I had not been to one of these in about three years.  But since Oliver went, so did I.  As most of you know, I have been working on Kennedy's foreign policy for about the last 5-6 years.  Since Oliver was there, I switched back to my old topic.  There are some things in this that I had never brought up at any conference.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-fbi-jfk-and-jim-garrison

Jim,

From slide 34 of your presentation...

image.png.462601e32d48d93f4f64836197d1c0ea.png

From Oswald’s Daily Diary October 28, 1959

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/historicdiary.htm

"Oct. 28(con.) Rima notifies me that pass & registration office wishes to see me about my future. Later Rima and car pick me up and we enter the offices to find four officials waiting for me (all unknown to me).... They ask "Do you want to go to your homeland." I say no I want Soviet citizen. I say I want to reside in the Soviet Union. They say they will see about that… What papers do you have to show who and what you are? I give them my discharge papers from the Marine Corps."

This bothers me, and I can't explain why.

Steve Thomas

Nice one Steve.

Pattern.