https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP75-00149R000300180011-1.pdf

image.png.8e2eca9245ace8a3fb53f70f07288703.png

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP75-00001R000400100086-9.pdf

New York Times, March 2, 1964

image.png.9de8f367d4540cb82e130bccbb8e4d48.png

image.png.39d1ddf053222bffe68c7e18f81bed7d.png

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP78-02820A000400040086-9.pdf

image.png.45abaad96fd18b9f3dec1933657b7974.png

This tells me that as early as December of 1958, the Air Force was already working on contracts to mount cryptographic equipment in the U-3.

If Oswald defected to the USSR in October of 1959 and revealed to them information on the U-2, he was giving them outdated technology that our country was already phasing out.

To tell the Russians how to shoot down a plane at 70,000 feet meant nothing. It was a throwaway. Besides; the spy world being as it is, the Russians probably already knew that.

Steve Thomas

Steve said,

"This tells me that as early as December of 1958, the Air Force was already working on contracts to mount cryptographic equipment in the U-3.

If Oswald defected to the USSR in October of 1959 and revealed to them information on the U-2, he was giving them outdated technology that our country was already phasing out.

To tell the Russians how to shoot down a plane at 70,000 feet meant nothing. It was a throwaway. Besides; the spy world being as it is, the Russians probably already knew that."

Probably not.  Oswald was at several U2 bases which were ultra top secret.  And, state of the art Radar bases also ultra top secret.  Any U2's at these bases would have been state of the art.  The A11 didn't replace the U2 until later times.  The A11 becomes the SR-71 Blackbird which was and still is the fastest plane ever flown. 

The U3 was not the plane shot down by the Russians. 

Because you announce the need for a new and better version in 1959 doesn't mean you get it at that time, but later is always the case.  There's a lot of time between early 1960 and Oct. ,1962.

Edited by John Butler

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

I think your statement is correct but I wasn't it phased out by satellite technology (Corona and eventually Keyhole)?  I seem to remember a link here to the NRO historical documents that indicated such.  Was the U3 ever operational?

found it. was from Robert Wheeler:

https://www.nro.gov/FOIA/Major-NRO-Programs-and-Projects/

Kirk,

The secrecy of those satellite programs was still secret in the 1990s when I was still teaching American History.  The photos in the history book showing the Cuban Missile Crisis and missiles were said to be taken by U2s. 

They were not.  This was satellite imagery which was finally admitted later.

I don't know about the U3 and when it became operational.  The net doesn't say much about it.  If they started work on it in 1959, I don't think it would be operational by early 1960.

Steve is correct about the fear of the Russians being able to eventually shoot this plane down.  I think the fear that this might happen goes back to when the U2 became operational in 1955.

This is why I think the two Oswalds were rushed into the military at age 16 and 17.  Two boys to be later used in the U2 shoot down.

Their training in service had to do with radar operation, electronics, and aviation maintenance and repair.  Their duty stations were at super secret military installations that had to do with U2s and radar such as Atsugi, Japan. 

The U2/U3 and the A11 were totally different planes.  The A11 went on to become the SR-71 Blackbird which was the fastest plane and highest flying plane in the world back then.

Edited by John Butler

5 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Thanks Ron,

I got a big kick out of that.  I’m just like Credence.  I like to sit on the back porch and listen to Buck Owens.