The Education Forum

Stanley Marks: Forgotten hero

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Maybe I missed it in the books or have forgotten it.  But I don't remember knowing that that Five of Mark's books were cited in the HSCA report.  A Lot in the two I have relates.  What, in which five do they cite?

Ron, great question. See image below, from the page in the Report that lists the five books. I first mentioned this in my Iitro essay featured in the reissued Murder Most Foul: “On March 28, 1979, Murder Most Foul! was included in the Library of Congress’s comprehensive index, The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy: A Chronological Bibliography. On the same day, the House of Representatives Select Subcommittee on Assassinations issued its report, which cited five assassination-related titles authored by Marks.[[Footnote: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy: A Chronological Bibliography, Library Congress, March 28, 1979, p. 770. Appendix to Hearings, Select Subcommittee on Assassi-nations, March 28, 1979, volume 12, p. 695.]”

As you can see in the image below, the books were:

-- American Dream, American Nightmare 
-- Coup d'Etat
-- Murder Most Foul!
-- Two Days of Infamy
-- Watch What We Say, Not What We Do

I have never seen a copy of "American Dream, American Nightmare." So I have no idea what it is. Possibly another version of the playscript, which he revised several times.

hsca-stanley-marks.png

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

This is kind of fantastic in and of itself, that Marks was ignored by the Mockingbird MSM. But cited 5 X by the HSCA.

Good point - I agree. You will recall that he was blacklisted by the so-called House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC), for several reasons, including publishing his book on the Soviet Union; teaching in the progressive Abraham Lincoln School, which was under surveillance by both the NSA and FBI; and for writing a regular book review column for one of the leading Black newspapers, the Chicago Defender, which was also under FBI surveillance. (Hoover tried to convince FDR to prosecute the editors for treason). Yet when I requested his FBI file, they claimed he didn't have one.