The Education Forum

Google and Censorship

47 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I guess I am going to have to study DARPA  more.

A few more books on the subject I would recommend would be the following:

"The Pentagon's Brain: An Uncensored History of DARPA, America's Top-Secret Military Research Agency" by Annie Jacobsen

"The CIA as Organized Crime: How Illegal Operations Corrupt America and the World" by Douglas Valentine 

"IBM and the Holocaust: The Strategic Alliance Between N a z i Germany and America's Most Powerful Corporation-Expanded Edition" by Edwin Black 

"The Imagineers of War: The Untold Story of DARPA, the Pentagon Agency That Changed the World" by Sharon Weinberger 

"RAND in Southeast Asia: A History of the Vietnam War Era" by Mai Elliott 

"The School of the Americas: Military Training and Political Violence in the Americas" by Lesley Gill 

"Soldiers of Reason: The RAND Corporation and the Rise of the American Empire" by Alex Abella  

"Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties" by Tom O'Neill

"Life During Wartime: Resisting Counterinsurgency" by Kristian Williams 

"The Pinochet File: A Declassified Dossier on Atrocity and Accountability" by Peter Kornbluh 

Each one of those books makes mention of the use of ARPANET and it's relationship to counterinsurgency and fascism...

Edited by Robert Montenegro

Thanks Robert. Have a Happy New year.

When I first created my website, it would show up on the first page of most google searches related to the assassination. Then one day--roughly 10 years ago--John Simkin warned me that everything was about to change, and that google was going to start arbitrarily assigning "credibility" ratings to every website, which would serve to handicap websites from lone-wolves like.myself. I soon saw that he was right, and that a google search for "Kennedy autopsy" or some such thing would go to McAdams' website etc pages and pages before it would go to mine.

I then spotted a loophole: that this was only true for text searches. Yes, strangely enough, there are google image searches where images from my website will show up over and over again and actually dominate the search results, while a text search for the same word or phrase will fail to show my website until the fifth or sixth page. 

So, for my website, google is a mixed bag. If someone is looking for something vague like "JFK assassination" then they'll probably never find my website, but if they're looking for something more specific like images of "James Humes" or "Russell Fisher" it might come up right away. 

Edited by Pat Speer

Then that is doubly bad for me.

Because we are basically a text site.

4 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Would it cost you a lot to add a Shutterstock membership and populate the site with images with meta-data? I think it's around £20 or something like that, you get 10 images per month or something. You are allowed multiple use of the same image too.

13 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

It may not be as bad as you think. One of the things that gives your website credibility, if I recall, is the number of links from other websites. So...when you and your readers promote your website on forums like this, it adds to your google credibility score, or whatever they call it. Every now and then I get an email from some company telling me that that for such and such amount, they would go through my website and add all sorts of links etc and thereby increase the visibility of my website on google, and, cha-thing,  sales. They don't seem to get that I'm not trying to sell anything, and that I can't really justify spending hundreds of dollars so that my website comes up before McAdams', or Myers', etc.