The Education Forum

Rare film footage of JFK and LBJ riding together in the presidential limousine

This is a Navy-Marines film called AN ANSWER (1962), about

the visit by JFK to inspect the Atlantic Fleet at the Oceana, Virginia, Naval Air Station. It is

from April 13, 1962. Normally the president and VP are prohibited by Secret Service

protocol from riding in the same car, but this was at a naval installation.

Edited by Joseph McBride

6 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

the visit by JFK to inspect the Atlantic Fleet at the Oceana, Virginia, Naval Air Station. It is

from April 13, 1962. Normally the president and VP are prohibited by Secret Service

Nice find. I have been to NAS Oceana as part of the homecoming of the USS John F. Kennedy after Desert Storm.  In fact, I was getting gas outside of Oceana when they were flying the planes off the USSJFK and into Oceana, and an F-14 (I think) went right over our heads.  I thought it was going to land on us!

Needless to say, there was a joyous homecoming in Norfolk.  Here is the tourbook...https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv67-91/index.html

19 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

This is well worth watching.  JFK honoring the Navy that he served in is quite a contrast to  Doug Horne's most recent presentation I just finally finished.  The Air Force (Le May) and Army  (Taylor) following his coffin out of the cathedral is the total opposite of this.  Thanks to Doug for his Naval service, and that on the ARRB, his work since.

There are also pictures of LBJ and Johnson riding together, not in the Presidential limo, riding up Main street from the opposite direction from the assassination in Dallas during the 1960 campaign.

LBJ does seem kind bored or at points a bit dour in this.