The Education Forum

New Photographic Proof: Todd's Initials on 399!

17 hours ago, Chris Bristow said:

I assume that but am not that familiar with the issue.

What little info I have about markings and chain of custody says:

1.  Darrell C. Tomlinson found the bullet on a stretcher (of a young boy?  Not Connally's?)

2.  SS Agent Robert Frazier was given the bullet by Tomlinson

3.  Agent Frazier gave the bullet to James Rowley, Director of the Secret Service

4.  James Rowley gave the bullet to FBI Agent Elmer Todd

5.  Elmer Todd takes the bullet to the FBI Crime Lab.  He gives it to FBI Crime Lab.

6.  I don't know who Killian is.  FBI Crime Lab Personnel?

Later in the year(next year) Agens Bardwell and Odum visit Darrell Tomlison and O. P. Wright at Parkland with the bullet.  Tomlinson and O. P. Wright cannot "positively identify" the bullet as the same one they had seen earlier.

I would expect to see something like:

1. Rober Frazier's initials

2.  Elmer Todd's initials

3. Killian's initials

4.  Bardwell and Odum- some evidence they handled the bullet- bullet initials or paper work

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/30/2022 at 3:50 PM, Mark Ulrik said:

Fair enough. But is it really that surprising that the gouge looks different from different angles?

Mark,

First, thanks for making and posting the photos.

I understand all the photos now. What made it hard for me to understand the "rotating" gif you made is that I still had the NARA photo in mind, and the rotating one just made it harder to reconcile the NIST/NARA differences.

Then you posted the following, after which I fully understood the NIST photos.

399_5879-5884-comp.png

But I still had problem reconciling what I perceived as differences between the NIST and NARA photos:

CE399-NARA-And-NIST-Photo-Comparison-2.j

The gouge is higher on the NIST photo than it is on the NARA. On the NIST it goes almost all the way to the top of the bullet.

However, since I then better understood the gouge (due to your photos), it didn't take long for me to reconcile the NARA/NIST differences.

In the NARA photo above, the top of the bullet is tipped toward the camera. So we see the top of the bullet, and this makes it look taller than it really is. Plus it makes the gouge look further down from the top of the bullet than it really is. That gouge really is quite close to the top of the bullet.

The diameter of the bullet is significantly smaller that far up, and having the NARA bullet tipped added to the illusion. It makes the gouge wrap further around the bullet than it would if it were located further down.