The Education Forum

Guy Banister and the CIA

Tom Gram

5 hours ago, Jean Paul Ceulemans said:

1) Dumond, Elphege O, b. 05/29/1919, d. 03/20/1996, US Army Air Corps, SGT, Res: San Antonio, TX, Plot: 17 0 450, bur. 03/25/1996, data from Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery San Antonio, Bexar County

2) 31131685 DUMOND ELPHEGE O,  BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS / Compon. 19th Army,  enlisted 23/5/42  Private / Warrant / Officers /USA/MAINE,  from WWII records :  http://files.usgwarchives.net/ma/middlesex/military/ww2/enlistment/armyenli465gmt.txt 

3) Went to Boston University Law School (1950 grad.) and served 23 years for the Government according the newspaper obit.

Boston could connect to.. well.. a lot... (if that's were he got into "the business")

1349_4411_600_544.jpg

Thank you Jean Paul. This is great info. I’m guessing that this guy’s CIA records are not in the JFK collection, but that might be something worth pursuing at some point. What I’m really trying to figure out is:

1. Why was the Los Angeles CIA Field Office investigating a tiny New Orleans private detective firm to use for cover? 

2. What was the name of the “alternate private detective agency” selected for cover instead of GB&A? 

3. What were the real circumstances of Banister getting approved as a CIA source in late 1960? 

According to the documents, the guy who furnished the name of the alternate detective company was OS officer Jim O’Connell. Some of his personnel files are in the ARC but I haven’t really looked at them:

bannis11.png

It also looks like the “NC” branch of the CIA Central Cover Division, which I believe stands for Non-Official Cover, were the ones interested in finding a New Orleans detective agency, so why the hell did the LA field office run the investigation? Was that sort of thing normal?

bann10.png

What was “the type of cover operation we propose”? Where are the documents discussing that proposal? 

I know a lot of this stuff is pretty far-removed from Dealey Plaza, but if the CIA was running NOCs out of a private eye firm in New Orleans - as the evidence seems to suggest - that could be pretty relevant. 

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

Thank you Jean Paul. This is great info. I’m guessing that this guy’s CIA records are not in the JFK collection, but that might be something worth pursuing at some point. What I’m really trying to figure out is:

1. Why was the Los Angeles CIA Field Office investigating a tiny New Orleans private detective firm to use for cover? 

2. What was the name of the “alternate private detective agency” selected for cover instead of GB&A? 

3. What were the real circumstances of Banister getting approved as a CIA source in late 1960? 

According to the documents, the guy who furnished the name of the alternate detective company was OS officer Jim O’Connell. Some of his personnel files are in the ARC but I haven’t really looked at them:

bannis11.png

It also looks like the “NC” branch of the CIA Central Cover Division, which I believe stands for Non-Official Cover, were the ones interested in finding a New Orleans detective agency, so why the hell did the LA field office run the investigation? Was that sort of thing normal?

bann10.png

What was “the type of cover operation we propose”? Where are the documents discussing that proposal? 

I know a lot of this stuff is pretty far-removed from Dealey Plaza, but if the CIA was running NOCs out of a private eye firm in New Orleans - as the evidence seems to suggest - that could be pretty relevant. 

Tom--

Did you see my reply regarding Emilio Americo Rodriquez? The LA-CIA office was investigating him also. 

More on Emilio:

https://whowhatwhy.org/politics/government-integrity/2017-jfk-document-release-shows-former-intelligence-analyst-got-right/

7 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Tom--

Did you see my reply regarding Emilio Americo Rodriquez? The LA-CIA office was investigating him also. 

More on Emilio:

https://whowhatwhy.org/politics/government-integrity/2017-jfk-document-release-shows-former-intelligence-analyst-got-right/

Yes I did I just forgot to reply. Thanks Ben. That’s pretty interesting - and it makes me even more curious about why the LA-CIA Office was interested in this stuff, and/or why they were assigned to investigate people living 2000 miles away. Does anyone know when Emilio became an official CIA asset? Could the LA investigation have been his initial security check? If so why was it done out of LA? 

LA was supposedly the office of origin for both investigations, but it tough to say what really happened without more documents. Do we have any other records from the Rodriguez inquiry? All I could find in a quick search was the investigative report cover sheet: 

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=26716

Does anyone know what OA/IB-3 means? 

50 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

Yes I did I just forgot to reply. Thanks Ben. That’s pretty interesting - and it makes me even more curious about why the LA-CIA Office was interested in this stuff, and/or why they were assigned to investigate people living 2000 miles away. Does anyone know when Emilio became an official CIA asset? Could the LA investigation have been his initial security check? If so why was it done out of LA? 

LA was supposedly the office of origin for both investigations, but it tough to say what really happened without more documents. Do we have any other records from the Rodriguez inquiry? All I could find in a quick search was the investigative report cover sheet: 

Tom-

I don't have time to look into this now. 

Some off the wall thoughts:

1. Just a manpower thing. The Dallas or NO office was overworked, or the personnel were not highly regarded. 

2. Inside the CIA, there were concerns that the Miami and NO offices were "leaky" or compromised by affiliations. 

Add on: The L.A. office-CIA investigation into Emilio does seem odd in another way: The Miami station of the CIA back then large by some accounts 400 officers.  Very Cuba-centric. 

I would guess that the Miami office would know all about Emilio....

Edited by Benjamin Cole

On 12/22/2022 at 7:15 AM, Tom Gram said:

I am not 100% sure but I think it's

OA/IB = Operational Approval / Investigations Branch (the number perhaps being a specific branch/level/L.A. ?)

Usually in relation to an expedite check relating to a person that already has a "number" from what I have seen so far

IB-3 "seems" to involve Edward G. Tichborn (pseudonym used by Henry Preston Lopez).  Different projects, incl. propaganda in Mexico.   A number of people were "checked" within OA/IB-3, including D E Hernandez (Cuba / BOP / Guatemala / ...)

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans

7 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

From Larry Hancock and my Lancer presentation:

Who was Emilio Rodriguez?

According to his personal statement written for the CIA he:

• Born in Havana 1928

• US Citizen, Cuban by birth

• Nationalized in New Orleans

• High School and University in New Orleans (Tulane)

• BA in Biology/Chemistry. Masters in Spanish and Portuguese

• Lived in Cuba 1954-61

• Student Pilot Certificate

• Exfiltrated to US June 6, 1961 with a Swiss Protective passport

• Asst District Mgr for Century Electronic Company

• Father, Arnesto was District Manager

• Previously was professor of the Berlitz School of Languages at the ITM in New Orleans

• Med Research technician at Tulane

• Get’s his interview. (Wears glasses)

• Got the job! Case officer was Ralph Seehafer WH/4/FI-CI

• His $2050 delivered by Zamka (David Morales)

He (EAR) ran an electronics store in Havana and appears to have been recruited by Henry Hecksher using the pseudo of  Nelson Raynock. (Getting his Provisional Operational Approval) As such, he became a member of the Stay Behind Network that was started by Dave Morales and run Jim Pekich. EAR would meet with Jim Pekich who was running Brand/AMPANIC-7/Rivero who was running an assassination plot among other things. Here's a good report as written by EAR using Secret Writing 

EAR worked closely with David Morales and Tony Sforza in Havana and later at JMWAVE. Morales had set up a small intelligence team of AMOTs (Anonymous Operational Team) that was run by EAR and Sforza in Havana. 

Sforza and EAR were under close scrutiny by Cuban G-2 during and after the BOPs. Sforza hid out at Carlos Tepedino's (AMWHIP-1) house. EAR was arrested but was released. It was shortly after this that both Sforza and EAR were exfiltrated and met with Zamka (Dave Morales) at JMWAVE. He was debriefed at the Hotel Dupont Plaza. He mentions that his responsibilities weren't as great at AMRYE's (Tony Sforza) but he did help set up the network. Diagram of network. Used alias of Eugenio Gonzalez.

EAR getting arrested 3/5/61 by G-2.

Thought Rolando Cubela would defect June 8, 1961.

EAR would work as a recruiter at embassies, the UN, and other social functions. I'm not sure how many successful defectors he recruited but his review said that he was one of the top 2-3 members of JMWAVE and could work in either Foreign Intel, Counter Intel or Covert Action with equal effectiveness. He worked undercover as an electronics guy for Robert Hunkeler, a former CIA officer.

Received an award for Stay Behind work.

1 hour ago, David Boylan said:

From Larry Hancock and my Lancer presentation:

Who was Emilio Rodriguez?

According to his personal statement written for the CIA he:

• Born in Havana 1928

• US Citizen, Cuban by birth

• Nationalized in New Orleans

• High School and University in New Orleans (Tulane)

• BA in Biology/Chemistry. Masters in Spanish and Portuguese

• Lived in Cuba 1954-61

• Student Pilot Certificate

• Exfiltrated to US June 6, 1961 with a Swiss Protective passport

• Asst District Mgr for Century Electronic Company

• Father, Arnesto was District Manager

• Previously was professor of the Berlitz School of Languages at the ITM in New Orleans

• Med Research technician at Tulane

• Get’s his interview. (Wears glasses)

• Got the job! Case officer was Ralph Seehafer WH/4/FI-CI

• His $2050 delivered by Zamka (David Morales)

He (EAR) ran an electronics store in Havana and appears to have been recruited by Henry Hecksher using the pseudo of  Nelson Raynock. (Getting his Provisional Operational Approval) As such, he became a member of the Stay Behind Network that was started by Dave Morales and run Jim Pekich. EAR would meet with Jim Pekich who was running Brand/AMPANIC-7/Rivero who was running an assassination plot among other things. Here's a good report as written by EAR using Secret Writing 

EAR worked closely with David Morales and Tony Sforza in Havana and later at JMWAVE. Morales had set up a small intelligence team of AMOTs (Anonymous Operational Team) that was run by EAR and Sforza in Havana. 

Sforza and EAR were under close scrutiny by Cuban G-2 during and after the BOPs. Sforza hid out at Carlos Tepedino's (AMWHIP-1) house. EAR was arrested but was released. It was shortly after this that both Sforza and EAR were exfiltrated and met with Zamka (Dave Morales) at JMWAVE. He was debriefed at the Hotel Dupont Plaza. He mentions that his responsibilities weren't as great at AMRYE's (Tony Sforza) but he did help set up the network. Diagram of network. Used alias of Eugenio Gonzalez.

EAR getting arrested 3/5/61 by G-2.

Thought Rolando Cubela would defect June 8, 1961.

EAR would work as a recruiter at embassies, the UN, and other social functions. I'm not sure how many successful defectors he recruited but his review said that he was one of the top 2-3 members of JMWAVE and could work in either Foreign Intel, Counter Intel or Covert Action with equal effectiveness. He worked undercover as an electronics guy for Robert Hunkeler, a former CIA officer.

Received an award for Stay Behind work.

So why would the L.A office of the CIA be asking about Emilio and Guy Bannister? 

I have noticed a few times (without digging any deeper) when the LA Office was involved, it usually had to do with Mexico.  Could be the connection to the Cuban consulate for all I know.

If you take a careful look at some of the designations in the document (Special Agent in Charge, etc) I think you are seeing the FBI station chief in LA signing off on a background check on Emilio ordered out of FBI HQ in DC pursuant to a standard CIA request at the time Emilio was being cleared for a new set of responsibilities on his return to the US - which included foreign intelligence work against Cubans domestically and in Mexico.

Standard practice for agencies to use the FBI investigations group in background checks for clearances.  As to why LA, I suspect Jean Paul is right right in that the LA office handled surveillance on the Cuban consulate in LA, as well as some matters related to Mexico including international travel.

12 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Tom--

More on Emilio:

Ben,

As always, excellent essay by Alan Dale. I think Larry answered "the why" of the LA office.

Great info here David on the Rodriguezs, much thanks.

So at the court hearing Oswald would have recognized Arnesto from their Spanish language lessons a few weeks earlier? Arnesto being the one in the black suit closest to the camera in your picture?

Gerry, yes and yes.

Oswald visited Arnesto at his Berlitz Language school. Oswald spoke to him in English and Russian. Arnesto gave up because he couldn't keep up with Oswald's Russian. Now if his brother Emilio asked him to call the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City and pretend to be Oswald on September 28th, well that wouldn't be too much of a stretch, would it? The Mexi City CIA translators did say the caller's Russian wasn't very good but his Spanish was much better.

Edited by David Boylan

35 minutes ago, David Boylan said:

Gerry, yes and yes.

Oswald visited Arnesto at his Berlitz Language school. Oswald spoke to him in English and Russian. Arnesto gave up because he couldn't keep up with Oswald's Russian. Now if his brother Emilio asked him to call the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City and pretend to be Oswald on September 28th, well that wouldn't be too much of a stretch, would it? The Mexi City CIA translators did say the caller's Russian wasn't very good but his Spanish was much better.

In Mexico City, not only was Oswald impersonated but also Silvia Duran apparently. 

A man could have impersonated Silvia Durans female voice. Have you ever come across this ability being used by CIA officers or CIA agents like Arnesto? That is, CIA agents being trained to impersonate a womans voice on the phone? You could see how such an ability could come in handy. 

Edited by Gerry Down