The Education Forum

Undercovering Popov's Mole: The Assassination of President Kennedy by John M. Newman

Douglas Caddy

For example, the 15 June 1978 HSCA interview of Mr. Angleton which, thanks to Alan Dale and Jeff Morley, was found at the National Archives, listened to, transcribed and made available to us. It's an absolute master class in gaining some small understanding of the mind of James Angleton. 

https://jfkfacts.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Angleton-HSCA-interview.pdf 

here

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Why is the mole referred to as "Popov's mole?"

I know that Pyotr Popov was a KGB double agent. But what has he to do with Angleton's hypothetical mole?

Might help if you read Newman's previous three books in this series.

6 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

For example, the 15 June 1978 HSCA interview of Mr. Angleton which, thanks to Alan Dale and Jeff Morley, was found at the National Archives, listened to, transcribed and made available to us. It's an absolute master class in gaining some small understanding of the mind of James Angleton. 

https://jfkfacts.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Angleton-HSCA-interview.pdf 

here

I wish a RIF # could be given for this.  I think I might have this on audiocassette. I have an HSCA interview of Angleton on audiocassette. I'm pretty sure Alan and Jeff didn't make the transcript. 

1 hour ago, Joseph Backes said:

I wouldn't bother with Mr. Baer.  He's a disgusting xxxx.  His JFK Declassified TV show a ridiculous lie after lie. 

I found his interview rewarding. The back cover of his book, The Fourth Man, has praise of him from eight credible publications and persons, such as The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Washington Post, Boston Herald, Seymour M. Hersh, Pulitzer Prize-Winning author James Risen, Thomas Powers, David Ignatius, Lesley Stahl of CBS News, and Jayne Mayer. Seymour Hersh wrote, "Robert Baer was considered perhaps the best on-the-ground field officer in Middle East." The Washington Post declared, "Baer exposes a niche of the spy world we know little about." These persons and publications do not in any way find him "a dangerous xxxx" as do you. I encourage forum members to listen to the interview.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

24 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

I found his interview rewarding. The back cover of his book, The Fourth Man, has praise of him from eight credible publications and persons, such as The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Washington Post, Boston Herald, Seymour M. Hersh, Pulitzer Prize-Winning author James Risen, Thomas Powers, David Ignatius, Lesley Stahl of CBS News, and Jayne Mayer. Seymour Hersh wrote, "Robert Baer was considered perhaps the best on-the-ground field officer in Middle East." The Washington Post declared, "Baer exposes a niche of the spy world we know little about." These persons and publications do not in any way find him "a dangerous xxxx" as do you. I encourage forum members to listen to the interview.

Baer was terrible on Oswald but his book See No Evil, which inspired the excellent thriller Syriana (Clooney’s character is loosely based on Baer) is actually pretty fascinating,  and surprising as hell that it got any mainstream support since the last section of the book not so subtly implies that a major part of the War On Terror was basically a cover for exerting American influence in Central Asia over Caspian Sea petroleum fields, and making sure the BTC pipeline, which benefited the West much more than other pipeline proposals, actually got constructed. 

Off topic, but at the time I read Baer’s book (circa 2013) I freaking swear I saw multiple news stories about a woman who was either a reporter or government investigator who died under extremely suspicious circumstances (overseas car crash?) very shortly after she’d made some announcement about revealing explosive evidence about American involvement in Central Asia, but it seems to have disappeared from the internet because I haven’t been able to find it since. If anyone has any idea what I’m talking about let me know.

6 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

Baer was terrible on Oswald but his book See No Evil, which inspired the excellent thriller Syriana (Clooney’s character is loosely based on Baer) is actually pretty fascinating,  and surprising as hell that it got any mainstream support since the last section of the book not so subtly implies that a major part of the War On Terror was basically a cover for exerting American influence in Central Asia over Caspian Sea petroleum fields, and making sure the BTC pipeline, which benefited the West much more than other pipeline proposals, actually got constructed. 

Off topic, but at the time I read Baer’s book (circa 2013) I freaking swear I saw multiple news stories about a woman who was either a reporter or government investigator who died under extremely suspicious circumstances (overseas car crash?) very shortly after she’d made some announcement about revealing explosive evidence about American involvement in Central Asia, but it seems to have disappeared from the internet because I haven’t been able to find it since. If anyone has any idea what I’m talking about let me know.

I long ago realized to my shock that there are members of the JFK Assassination Community who sole interest is the JFK assassination to the exclusion of everything else and more specifically their focusing on Oswald's role in a larger conspiracy. 

If that is the litmus test for the perception of today's reality, then we are in deep trouble.

World War III has started. Putin made two speeches last week declaring that the West poses an existential threat to Russia. One speech was before an immense rally in Red Square and later inside the Kremlin before the Russian elite. [In 1974 I was in a small group of Americans who toured both venues at the height of the cold war.] The West now faces a test whether it will survive and in a larger sense whether the world will survive if the war evolves into a nuclear one. 

Robert Baer is performing a great public service in his book by exploring whether there was a fourth Russian spy high up in the CIA or possibly the FBI who was never uncovered. In doing so he implicitly raises the question whether today there are Russian spies embedded in our government or in other key sectors of our society.  His mission in undertaking this should not be evaluated on basis of his opinion of Oswald.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

14 hours ago, Joseph Backes said:

I wish a RIF # could be given for this.  I think I might have this on audiocassette. I have an HSCA interview of Angleton on audiocassette. I'm pretty sure Alan and Jeff didn't make the transcript. 

If you have that on audiocassette, maybe switch it to digital, if possible. Tapes wear out.  If you make a digital copy, then post. I would listen. 

Message from Tom Graves, a longtime recognized expert on the Soviet Union and Russia:

I'm glad that Tom Gram at the EF has posted Bart Kamp's interview of Malcolm Blunt. I totally agree with everything Malcolm says in it, but I would make just one correction or comment: In addition to "Popov's Mole" (the mole who betrayed Popov in late 1956 or early 1957), there may have been a separate traitor, "Popov's U-2 Mole," the person who (according to Popov via possible mole! George Kisevalter) leaked the details of the U-2 spy plane to the Soviets sometime in or before April, 1958. I believe this person was John Paisley, the guy who faked his own suicide/murder (two days after receiving notice from CIA that he was going to be polygraphed and background-checked for the first time in 25 years) and hopped a Polish merchant ship in Chesapeake Bay that was bound for Baltimore and then Rotterdam. Please advise Gram (and the others?) that Howard Blum's relatively new book, "The Spy [i.e., Pete Bagley] Who Knew Too Much," not only tells us that Paisley was (one of the?) "moles" Bagley and Angleton were searching for but is what gave me the idea that Paisley (who had worked on the U-2 project) may have been this "Popov's U-2 Mole." to boot.

The Spy Who Knew Too Much – HarperCollins

Edited by Douglas Caddy

On 10/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, Douglas Caddy said:

Message from Tom Graves, a longtime recognized expert on the Soviet Union and Russia:

I'm glad that Tom Gram at the EF has posted Bart Kamp's interview of Malcolm Blunt. I totally agree with everything Malcolm says in it, but I would make just one correction or comment: In addition to "Popov's Mole" (the mole who betrayed Popov in late 1956 or early 1957), there may have been a separate traitor, "Popov's U-2 Mole," the person who (according to Popov via possible mole! George Kisevalter) leaked the details of the U-2 spy plane to the Soviets sometime in or before April, 1958. I believe this person was John Paisley, the guy who faked his own suicide/murder (two days after receiving notice from CIA that he was going to be polygraphed and background-checked for the first time in 25 years) and hopped a Polish merchant ship in Chesapeake Bay that was bound for Baltimore and then Rotterdam. Please advise Gram (and the others?) that Howard Blum's relatively new book, "The Spy [i.e., Pete Bagley] Who Knew Too Much," not only tells us that Paisley was (one of the?) "moles" Bagley and Angleton were searching for but is what gave me the idea that Paisley (who had worked on the U-2 project) may have been this "Popov's U-2 Mole." to boot.

The Spy Who Knew Too Much – HarperCollins

Thank you Douglas (and Tom Graves). I will definitely check out that book. The entire Blunt-Kamp interview series is excellent, but the Nosenko episode is definitely my favorite: 

http://dealeyplazauk.com/research/collections/malcolm-blunt/video/

Edited by Tom Gram

On 10/2/2022 at 1:53 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

Okay, I think I get it.

Double agent Popov was arrested and sentenced to death in October 1959. Apparently Angleton figured that a KGB mole working for the CIA had informed the Soviets that Popov was giving secrets to the CIA, and that was the reason for his arrest and death sentence. And so Angleton set out to find "Popov's mole."

Also, Nosenko convinced Angleton that there was a mole and that Golytsin was sent over to protect said mole.

EDITED: I said it backwards:  Nosenko was sent sent to to make Golytsin out to be a xxxx in case Golytsin new the identity of the mole.

Edited by Tony Rose
correction of inadvertant error

On 10/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, Tony Rose said:

Also, Nosenko convinced Angleton that there was a mole and that Golytsin was sent over to protect said mole.

From what I've read, Angleton trusted Golitsyn and thought that Nosenko was a false defector. And Angleton continued believing that after Nosenko's release from solitary confinement.

2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

From what I've read, Angleton trusted Golitsyn and thought that Nosenko was a false defector. And Angleton continued believing that after Nosenko's release from solitary confinement.

I think Newman believes as Angleton did. Pete Bagley is an important source for Newman and for Malcolm Blunt. Bagley was Angleton’s man. 

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

I think Newman believes as Angleton did. Pete Bagley is an important source for Newman and for Malcolm Blunt. Bagley was Angleton’s man.

I hope you're right Paul. Because with my limited knowledge, I agree with Angleton as well. It's good to know that I'm on the same side of the fence as the expert, John Newman.