The Education Forum

RFK on “Meet the Press,” Nov. 6, 1960

Always fascinating to see the Kennedy's both John F. and Robert F. when they were so young.

Robert Kennedy looks to be in his late 30's here!

What a contrast to today's super old candidates.

Thanks for the link, Lori. That gives me another episode for my MTP webpage (below).

Nixon's campaign manager wasn't on the program, however. Just RFK.

Related "Meet The Press" Link:

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/JFK , RFK, And Others On "Meet The Press"

Edited by David Von Pein

16 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Always fascinating to see the Kennedy's both John F. and Robert F. when they were so young.

Robert Kennedy looks to be in his late 30's here!

What a contrast to today's super old candidates.

Back in the 1980s, most major-party candidates were 20 to 30 years older than me. 

They still are. 

@2:40 notice how Bobby rankles when he speaks of Jack’s selection of LBJ as his VP running mate. He’s still pretty sore about that… 

Also around @24:00 RFK says it’s “virtually impossible” that he will hold a position in his brother’s administration if he wins the election. 

Ha! Pa Kennedy had other ideas. 

Edited by Lori Spencer
Added video time stamps

1 hour ago, David Von Pein said:

Thanks for the link, Lori. That gives me another episode for my MTP webpage (below).

Related "Meet The Press" Link:

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/JFK , RFK, And Others On "Meet The Press"

Oops, my bad! Posted before I had finished watching this video. Thought it was going to be the full episode with both RFK and Leonard Hall. Looks like NBC decided only to release the first half hour with Kennedy, omitting the second half w/ Nixon’s campaign manager Mr. Hall. 

Pleasure to make your virtual acquaintance, David. Longtime subscriber of your YouTube channel. It’s an invaluable resource! Do you happen to have the full hour-long episode w/ Mr. Hall & RFK in your vast archives? 

Edited by Lori Spencer
Added questions

1 hour ago, David Von Pein said:

Not in this particular segment, but part II of this 'Meet the Press' programme featured Nixon's campaign manager Leonard W. Hall.

RFK seems so competent for someone so young. How great were the days where interviews were conducted in this civilised manner? No interrupting, a pause in between speech. Wonderful. 

6 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Back in the 1980s, most major-party candidates were 20 to 30 years older than me. 

They still are. 

HA!   True.

9 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

Pleasure to make your virtual acquaintance, David. Longtime subscriber of your YouTube channel. It’s an invaluable resource! Do you happen to have the full hour-long episode w/ Mr. Hall & RFK in your vast archives? 

No, unfortunately I don't. And until today I didn't even realize that Meet The Press ever did a one-hour broadcast. The only ones I've ever seen and collected are 30-minute programs.

Here are a couple more MTP shows with the Kennedy brothers:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9E6ed_4-hx6azkycDhqd3JpaFE/view

https://app.box.com/s/zo3tbazni2oyhqbxw3h3ia88qg1gjybk

Two days later, the long awaited election results were tabulated and Kennedy read Nixon’s concession telegram at his victory speech in Hyannisport. 

On the 62nd anniversary of that historic moment, HelmerReeburg’s YouTube channel posted the full live coverage (network unidentified), including his motorcade to the Armory and quite a bit of raw footage I’d never seen before. Some of this might be new to you, too!

This is not to denigrate Helmer Reenberg's efforts (because I love Helmer's YouTube channel), but here's a slightly longer and higher-quality version of JFK's 11/9/60 speech (with the proper aspect ratio too). And to watch more of Election Night 1960, check out the second video below:

Edited by David Von Pein