The Education Forum

Reflections on Alexandra Zapruder’s Expiation of Her Grandfather’s Anguish

Phil Nelson

"Blew the brains out" of the President?

If that quote is accurate, how does one explain it's ridiculously obvious contradicting of the final "official autopsy report" listing JFK's removed brain weight as heavier than an average intact male brain?

And one must wonder how someone as extremely emotionally devastated and even traumatized from his up close witnessing of a such a nightmarish brutal event ( as Zapruder was described in his granddaughter's memoir - locking himself in his office, crying, screaming, kicking doors, knocking over anything that moved and never wanting to talk about it ) could at the same time still trust themselves to be in a rationally calm business state of mind enough to decide so quickly what to do with the film ( sell it's rights to a national magazine ) and hard ball negotiate a gold mine high selling price equivalent to a 1.2 million dollars in today's dollar value?

I would think someone who felt that the actual shooting of JFK resulting in his brains being blown out was the most horrible thing he had ever personally witnessed to the point of being traumatized for life by it, might be reasonably concerned that his live film of such should be given over to the government who would have much more control over it's security to save millions of others from being similarly traumatized by it's content?

Edited by Joe Bauer

2 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

"Blew the brains out" of the President?

If that quote is accurate, how does one explain it's ridiculously obvious contradicting of the final "official autopsy report" listing JFK's removed brain weight as heavier than an average intact male brain?

And one must wonder how someone as extremely emotionally devastated and even traumatized from his up close witnessing of a such a nightmarish brutal event ( as Zapruder was described in his granddaughter's memoir - locking himself in his office, crying, screaming, kicking doors, knocking over anything that moved and never wanting to talk about it ) could at the same time still trust themselves to be in a rationally calm business state of mind enough to decide so quickly what to do with the film ( sell it's rights to a national magazine ) and hard ball negotiate a gold mind high selling price equivalent to a 1.2 million dollars in today's dollar value?

I would think someone who felt that the actual shooting of JFK resulting in his brains being blown out was the most horrible thing he had ever personally witnessed to the point of being traumatized for life by it, might be reasonably concerned that his live film of such should be given over to the government who would have much more control over it's security to save millions of others from being similarly traumatized by it's content?

Zapruder made sure the Secret Service got a copy. And he cried in his first TV interview and then again in his testimony. So I don't think there's anything suspicious about him. In contrast I do know that some of those who've claimed he was part of a plot, or that he wasn't even in the plaza at the time of the shooting, but was later added onto the films--are not to be trusted. 

6 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

Zapruder made sure the Secret Service got a copy. And he cried in his first TV interview and then again in his testimony. So I don't think there's anything suspicious about him. In contrast I do know that some of those who've claimed he was part of a plot, or that he wasn't even in the plaza at the time of the shooting, but was later added onto the films--are not to be trusted. 

No, of course he wasn't in on the plot. Never ever considered such a ridiculous theory.

However, I do think his aggressive negotiation for such a massive amount of money for the film from private parties and so soon after the event belied his supposed devastated grief state.

I would think someone so devastated would have taken more time in giving up something so personally effecting.

I would also have expected our own government to have confiscated the original film and spent much more time studying and evaluating it.

The agencies took many cameras and photos away and took their time returning them.

5 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

No, of course he wasn't in on the plot. Never ever considered such a ridiculous theory.

However, I do think his aggressive negotiation for such a massive amount of money for the film from private parties and so soon after the event belied his supposed devastated grief state.

I would think someone so devastated would have taken more time in giving up something so personally effecting.

I would also have expected our own government to have confiscated the original film and spent much more time studying and evaluating it.

The agencies took many cameras and photos away and took their time returning them.

If I remember correctly, his partner got involved, and convinced him he could make a lot of money off the film. 

I do find it interesting, however, that the government never forced anyone to provide any evidence. I mean, the major networks stalled and stalled and eventually provided copies of broadcasts, but never previously unseen witness interviews. (CBS had dozens of them--some of which are still unseen.) I find that ridiculous. And no, I don't think it has anything to do with freedom of the press--it has to do with money money money. "Well, we might be able to make some money off of this--and if we give it to you we'll get nothing! WAA WAA WAA."