The Education Forum

J. Gary Shaw 1988 Interview — 25th Anniversary

Lori Spencer

When I lived in Austin back in the 80’s & 90’s there was an excellent cable access TV show called “Alternative Views.” The hosts were very interested in the JFK Assassination and frequently had some big name guests on to discuss the case. 

On the 25th anniversary in 1988, they had J. Gary Shaw on for a 2 hour interview. Unfortunately if you didn’t live in Austin back then, you probably never got to see this. 

Thanks to a YouTube channel called The Memory Hole, this rare program has been digitally restored and premiered tonight. Watch here: 

The Memory Hole channel is airing a lot of rare old Kennedy stuff on this anniversary week. Check out their recent uploads for more goodies! 

Thank you.  A great perspective from a time before even PC's by someone I respect.  I've not looked at Memory Hole, need to get to bed with commitments in the morning.  Do you know if part two is available there?

Edited by Ron Bulman

23 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Thank you.  A great perspective from a time before even PC's by someone I respect.  I've not looked at Memory Hole, need to get to bed with commitments in the morning.  Do you know if part two is available there?

Paul, they just uploaded Part 2 tonight! 

Something at 29:40 intrigued me — Gary is talking about ZR RIFLE and Ruby running guns to Cuba. From the documents I’ve seen I always thought it was Ferrie, Ruby, and Oswald spotted at Miami airport on these Gun-running trips — but the timing didn’t add up, as Oswald was overseas at the time period in question. 

Gary implies that a guy named Tom Davis was using Oswald’s name, working directly with Ruby. I don’t know who this character was… any truth to this story? 

Can anyone clue me in a bit on the mysterious Mr. Davis? 

Although Gary Shaw doesn’t reveal the name of the Dallas newspaper reporter Tom Davis told his story to, I think he’s referring to Seth Kantor? 

Evidently Ruby instructed his lawyers during trial NOT to ever bring up the name “Tommy” Davis… 

Edited by Lori Spencer

2 minutes ago, Lori Spencer said:

Paul, they just uploaded Part 2 tonight! 

Something at 29:40 intrigued me — Gary is talking about ZR RIFLE and Ruby running guns to Cuba. From the documents I’ve seen I always thought it was Ferrie, Ruby, and Oswald spotted at Miami airport on these Gun-running trips — but the timing didn’t add up, as Oswald was overseas at the time period in question. 

Gary implies that a guy named Tom Davis was using Oswald’s name, working directly with Ruby. I don’t know who this character was… any truth to this story? 

Can anyone clue me in a bit on the mysterious Mr. Davis? 

I think he is referring to Eli Thomas Davis 

2 hours ago, Matthew Koch said:

I think he is referring to Eli Thomas Davis 

Yes, I believe so. Found this post from several years ago — are these documents still classified? Might we finally see them Dec. 15th? 

“Kennedy, John. Suspect:…” 

Thats the file I want to read. 

531D0C3C-9E97-4C20-B310-697BF0DE6B7C.jpeg

On 11/21/2022 at 9:33 AM, Lori Spencer said:

When I lived in Austin back in the 80’s & 90’s there was an excellent cable access TV show called “Alternative Views.” The hosts were very interested in the JFK Assassination and frequently had some big name guests on to discuss the case. 

On the 25th anniversary in 1988, they had J. Gary Shaw on for a 2 hour interview. Unfortunately if you didn’t live in Austin back then, you probably never got to see this. 

Thanks to a YouTube channel called The Memory Hole, this rare program has been digitally restored and premiered tonight. Watch here: 

The Memory Hole channel is airing a lot of rare old Kennedy stuff on this anniversary week. Check out their recent uploads for more goodies! 

Yes, good post, and I have been watching some of the Memory Hole and Alternative View stuff. YouTube may a sea of flotsam, but there is some good stuff out there if you hunt for it. Boy, what terrible haircuts....and with turtlenecks? 

32 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Yes, good post, and I have been watching some of the Memory Hole and Alternative View stuff. YouTube may a sea of flotsam, but there is some good stuff out there if you hunt for it. Boy, what terrible haircuts....and with turtlenecks? 

And how ‘bout those primitive access TV computer graphics? Lol that 80’s synthesizer music 🎶… and during the hot summer months, you’d often see Professor Frank Morrow wearing flip-flops with his snazzy shirt-sleeve turtleneck!