The Education Forum

You Find the Damndest Things on Etsy

Lori Spencer

So I was browsing Kennedy memorabilia on Etsy and ran across this EXTRA Edition of the Los Angeles Times dated Friday, Nov. 22, 1963 that raises some questions!

Saw this and was like, “wait… WHAT?” 😳

Am posting here to ask if anyone has the answers: 

1) What’s up with that headline? 
(Assuming a printer’s goof in their haste to get the edition rushed out. The headline was fixed later to “Kennedy Assassinated” but obviously a few of the wrong headline papers were printed before someone caught and corrected the error.)

2) How could this possibly be a morning edition? Printed before the assassination even happened? JFK is already declared dead by AP in paragraph one. (Having a Fletcher Prouty flashback now!) 👀 📰 

If anyone wants to buy this, here’s the product page: 👇🏽

L.A. Times Morning Edition 11-22-63

(UPDATE: I just bought it! hopefully you can still view the product page link above.) 

Gotta be a good backstory behind this. If anyone knows, please share… 

F9D70DE2-CE4C-4232-85A8-B89CAF3627E9.jpeg

487BEECD-21D1-4CB6-9AD1-D8AFC1BD618D.jpeg

ECBCBF16-CB0E-40BF-9BAB-9C3F18400708.jpeg

Edited by Lori Spencer
Added update

21 minutes ago, Lori Spencer said:

So I was browsing Kennedy memorabilia on Etsy and ran across this EXTRA Edition of the Los Angeles Times dated Friday, Nov. 22, 1963 that raises some questions!

Saw this and was like, “wait… WHAT?” 😳

Am posting here to ask if anyone has the answers: 

1) What’s up with that headline? 
(Assuming a printer’s goof in their haste to get the edition rushed out. The headline was fixed later to “Kennedy Assassinated” but obviously a few of the wrong headline papers were printed before someone caught and corrected the error.)

2) How could this possibly be a morning edition? Printed before the assassination even happened? JFK is already declared dead by AP in paragraph one. (Having a Fletcher Prouty flashback now!) 👀 📰 

If anyone wants to buy this, here’s the product page: 👇🏽

L.A. Times Morning Edition 11-22-63

(UPDATE: I just bought it! hopefully you can still view the product page link above.) 

Gotta be a good backstory behind this. If anyone knows, please share… 

F9D70DE2-CE4C-4232-85A8-B89CAF3627E9.jpeg

487BEECD-21D1-4CB6-9AD1-D8AFC1BD618D.jpeg

ECBCBF16-CB0E-40BF-9BAB-9C3F18400708.jpeg

Etsy is not a collectibles site, it's an arts and crafts site, with many fake collectibles. When I developed cancer last year, I started collecting baseball cards, to help kill the time, and keep my brain active. And I was suckered at least once by a collectible card that was really a reprint which some POS on Etsy had made look old and authentic. 

So, in short, it's a fake paper. 

Edited by Pat Speer

Crap! Well that’s $24 down the drain if it’s fake. 

I’ve been in the newspaper business for 35 years, am familiar with the old printing methods of the 1960’s — we were still using the same presses at the Daily Oklahoman in the 80’s when I worked there. These sorts of mistakes DO happen, and I could see how it might be a real misprinted edition. 

But if it does turn out to be phony, at least it will be an interesting conversation starter  in my exhibit case! Haha 😂 

According to this video, in which the narrator shows artifacts from a JFK historical newspaper collection (skip to around 45:15), it was a printing error by the Times. Evidently there have been copies circulating for many years. 

On 12/12/2022 at 3:58 AM, Pat Speer said:

So, in short, it's a fake paper. 

No, it's not. On August 26, 2020, I downloaded that same "Assassinate Kennedy" version of the 11/22/63 L.A. Times from Newspapers.com (seen below). And I don't think for a minute that Newspapers.com is in the habit of putting "fake" papers on their website. Do you?

And, BTW, the "Morning" designation for this LA Times edition would be correct, because Kennedy was shot (and died) in the "morning" (L.A. time). It was 10:30 AM Pacific Time when JFK was shot and 11:33 AM L.A. time when Kennedy was pronounced officially dead.

Click (twice) to enlarge to 7258px:

Los-Angeles-Times-Nov-22-1963 (Assassi

Edited by David Von Pein

43 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Isn't a hail of bullets attributed to Kellerman?  Or what was his phrase?

Roy Kellerman's phrase in his WC testimony was: "Flurry of shells" and also "Flurry of shots".

https://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/search=Kellerman+Flurry

Edited by David Von Pein

• 1 month later...

Wanted to update this thread with more info, now that I’ve had time to investigate further and review the full edition of that Friday morning edition. 

My findings are in this thread, posted as part of my #JFKSaturday series on Twitter. 

You’ll find several photos here of the article texts within, to see how the story was covered. 

Interesting stuff! This rare newspaper is now residing for posterity in my exhibit case! 📰

On 12/15/2022 at 9:52 PM, Rob Couteau said:

Lori, The subheading is intriguing as well as unwittingly accurate: "Hail of Bullets." Does it mention the number of bullets fired?

“Three loud blasts of gunfire were heard,” the article says.