The Education Forum

Dec 15th, and we get....

1 hour ago, Joseph Backes said:

So, anyone hearing anything? 

Will everything be released? I don't think so.

Will everything be digitized and online? I don't think so.

Yet, I hope I'm wrong. 

Joe

Here's my concern:

Biden will release some documents, might even say "We released 95% of the documents," and will suggest the release is all but complete and the issue is now dead, perhaps some minor mopping up to do. 

Of course, the real stuff is in the 5% not released. 

The other concern is that there is a lack of clarity if some documents are somehow outside the loop, and not even covered by the JFK Act, although they should be. 

Of course, we will probably never know if the CIA scrubbed a lot of documents decades ago, released some intentionally misleading documents in the meantime, or simply never documented what they should have. 

Well, something is getting released on Thursday.

I kind of wish NARA had a countdown clock.  

Courtesy of Bill Kelly, the following verified ANNOUNCEMENT:

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022, 2:51 PM National Archives Public and Media Communications <public.affairs@nara.gov> wrote:

Good afternoon,

The records will be posted online the afternoon of Thursday, December 15.

Sincerely,

National Archives Public and Media Communications staff

Edited by Joseph Backes

a statement from public affairs is meaningless because the white house can always pull out the rug at the last minute. they are simply confirming the deadline established by the president in his 10-22-21 order.

That being said, we understand from informed sources within NARA  that there will be a significant release but that CIA is still wrangling over what documents to withheld with FBI to a lesser degree. 

we will likely hold a virtual press conference on Friday either way. 

I'm sure it won't be everything.  I can't wait to see what it is.  I'll analyze it as fast as possible. 

But, we should take our time to analyze it.  What will be released most likely cannot be properly read in a day.  It needs to be properly indexed.  It will need to be put into the proper context, compared and contrasted with what we know.  

I hope people will shy away from the instant analysis offered up from people who never once set foot in Archives II,  who cannot even be bothered to read any document on the Mary Ferrell site who nevertheless will flood the internet with their thoughts on this release. 

A virtual press conference on Friday is too soon to offer any substantive analysis.  

Not only do we have to address adding these new pieces to our jigsaw puzzle, but we need to compare each document to its previous release(s).  We need to know if they are releasing something now while at the same time trying to redact what they have previously released.  This is already the case with the 2017, 2018, and 2021 releases.  

Joe 

Edited by Joseph Backes

11 hours ago, Joseph Backes said:

I'm sure it won't be everything.  I can't wait to see what it is.  I'll analyze it as fast as possible. 

But, we should take really our time to analyze it.  What will be released most likely cannot be properly read in a day.  It needs to be properly indexed.  It will need to be put into the proper context, compared and contrasted with what we know.  

I hope people will shy away from the instant analysis offered up from people who never once set foot in Archives II,  who cannot even be bothered to read any document on the Mary Ferrell site who nevertheless will flood the internet with their thoughts on this release. 

A virtual press conference on Friday is too soon to offer any substantive analysis.  

Not only do we have to address adding these new pieces to our jigsaw puzzle, but we need to compare each document to its previous release(s).  We need to know if they are releasing something now while at the same time trying to redact what they have previously released.  This is already the case with the 2017, 2018, and 2021 releases.  

Joe 

:up

sources advise that about 7,000 records will be withheld-principally CIA records.

Joe Backes- MFF has organized a rapid response team with a focus on the critical records. we will be prepared for a press conference to discuss what was released and what was not released.  some people know how to work quickly and accurately....