The Education Forum

Warren Commission members by attendance.

My pet theory is that LBJ forced his friend Russell to serve on the Warren Commission because Russell was the ONLY man he trusted not to lie to him. 

LBJ didn’t fully trust anyone else on that Commission. Not particularly close to any of them; most he hardly knew. 
But he knew Russell, and I would think Russell kept Johnson informed throughout the WC during their private Wednesday night dinners. 

“You’re my man on that commission, Dick!” LBJ told him — Russell was LBJ’s mole inside the Warren Commission. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Lori Spencer said:

My pet theory is that LBJ forced his friend Russell to serve on the Warren Commission because Russell was the ONLY man he trusted not to lie to him. 

LBJ didn’t fully trust anyone else on that Commission. Not particularly close to any of them; most he hardly knew. 
But he knew Russell, and I would think Russell kept Johnson informed throughout the WC during their private Wednesday night dinners. 

“You’re my man on that commission, Dick!” LBJ told him — Russell was LBJ’s mole inside the Warren Commission. 

Back on page 1 Ben posted a link to a Thesis written about Russel "The First Dissenter" It's 80 pages, but double spaced and wide margins with lots of footnotes so it's actually a really brief read compared to the page count.

WELL worth a look at if you are interested in Russel's connection to LBJ and some very clean and precise analysis of the sort of things Dick was involved in as well as some of the WC shenanigans. 

I would never have had a young Mr Russel down as a flighty socialite who had to change schools to stay focused on his studies rather than his... "social life."

There is a strong suggestion that LBJ wanted him out of the way since RR was a very influential Senator who was STRONGLY opposed to LBJ's Civil Rights legislation and would have garnered more support to block it in the Senate if he hadn't been distracted by the WC...

But that's what I love about this forum.

I would never have learned that through Google.

Edited by Tommy Tomlinson
Accidentally deleted a block of text!