The Education Forum

"The Oswald rifle scope installation at the Irving Sport Shop of Monday, November 11, 1963"

Greg Doudna

2 hours ago, Jean Paul Ceulemans said:

David, the image in the viewfinder is inverted horizontally (the left side becomes the right side and vice versa.), not vertically.

100% correct...  I blew it.  Saw a brownie box camera which inverts the image vertically...  I've been to that Camera's page so many times too...

Sorry for the misrepresentation

DJ

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/7/2023 at 9:28 PM, David Josephs said:

Well, here is the REPAIR TAG ticket I have in any case... if Greg can post something more legible, like where it says what Ryder claims it says..

that would be great...  this is what the FBI calls "Evidence". 

image.jpeg.66946a41db380f107e06226a0f25fc96.jpeg

Here's a better copy

**Picture removed to save space **

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans
**Picture removed to save space **

3 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

I don't see on that receipt anything about 3 holes vs 2 holes being drilled?

That comes from the $4.50 drill and tap at the shop price of @1.50, therefore was for 3. 

Thanks for the good photo Jean Paul. Incidentally here is a photo of Dial Ryder from 1963: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/79137046/dial-ryder . This photo at some point was wrongly published as a possible photo of Dallas gun dealer John Thomas Masen, and one still sees this photo circulating as a possible photo of Masen, when the photo has nothing to do with Masen; it is Dial Ryder. 

Dial D. Ryder made that assumption in his statement, he based it on the price of 1.50 USD for each hole to be drilled (and tapped).  According to him the 4.50 USD as such was for 3 holes. Anyway, that's how he explained it.

Oops, we answered at the same moment 😃

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans

1 minute ago, Greg Doudna said:

That comes from the $4.50 drill and tap at the shop price of @1.50, therefore was for 3. 

Thanks for the good photo Jean Paul. Incidentally here is a photo of Dial Ryder from 1963: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/79137046/dial-ryder . This photo at some point was wrongly published as a possible photo of Dallas gun dealer John Thomas Masen, and one still sees this photo circulating as a possible photo of Masen, when the photo has nothing to do with Masen; it is Dial Ryder. 

Thanks for the link to Ryder's photo, and the heads-up on Masen, I had no idea 

On 2/8/2023 at 10:59 AM, Greg Doudna said:

HSCA panel of experts found no indication of inauthenticity. Like you, I don't have the expertise to dispute that.

Here's a suggestion: I offer my paper for anyone interested, and if you don't like it, just don't read it, or put it on ignore. 

That "rifle" was not received until March 1963, right? Fall of 1962?

With them seeing the OSWALDs last in Jan 1963...  How is that possible? and how reliable is their story now?
These are the only other people than Marina to claim to have seen a rifle.

887040045_GeorgeDeMohrenschildtclaimstherifleincidenthappenedinlate1962orJan1963astheywereleavingforHaiti-smaller.jpg.6efd3e1a4f5dc373cf169bb058c4ab48.jpg

A slide from my SF rifle presentation...   no doubt all these people are wrong and you MUST be right about the 4 of them, despite Marina claiming they never went, Ruth saying she never took them...

But hey, nice house of cards you built there...

1726487529_RuthPaineNONONO.jpg.0a91fbf66477bbb6e421b90fce83a679.jpg

Edited by David Josephs

Thanks for the great copy of the Claim Ticket...

Greener Exhibit...   

Hiding in plain sight under Greener...  too bad their testimony is so uncertain..

Wonder how many old Carcano rifles Dial/Greener see in the course of a month for which mounting a scope was requested.

Also wonder if disassembling the rifle does something to the scope's accuracy when reassembled... especially after paying for a Dry Bore and Sighting... and not being able to test the scope before using it.. (or Marina ever mentioning to her friend Ruth what they did with her car and that rifle she never saw)

But since nothing happens before or after this event that has any bearing on this event or the assassination, the POS scope and rifle must have been zeroed in perfectly since he got 2 of 3 on target and only missed by a hair with one of the shots...  

:up

19 hours ago, David Josephs said:

That "rifle" was not received until March 1963, right? Fall of 1962?

With them seeing the OSWALDs last in Jan 1963...  How is that possible? and how reliable is their story now?
These are the only other people than Marina to claim to have seen a rifle.

887040045_GeorgeDeMohrenschildtclaimstherifleincidenthappenedinlate1962orJan1963astheywereleavingforHaiti-smaller.jpg.6efd3e1a4f5dc373cf169bb058c4ab48.jpg

A slide from my SF rifle presentation...   no doubt all these people are wrong and you MUST be right about the 4 of them, despite Marina claiming they never went, Ruth saying she never took them...

But hey, nice house of cards you built there...

This is a little exasperating David. First, this is not my house of cards but the mainstream view of most researchers of all sides of the LN/CT spectrum. Take your argument to the photographic experts of the HSCA panel or their modern-day successors, and prove to them, or to peer reviewers or those with expertise in those fields, that those experts are idiots. I'm not interested in that debate. But that is where your argument should go, not to me. When you establish your case that the BYP are forged by that means, by a significant number of bona fide experts read your arguments, slap their heads, and say "why didn't I think of that?" and agree you are right, through the peer-reviewed journal process or other informed discussion within relevant expert communities, which is how technical questions and claims should be presented and vetted, then I'll listen more closely.   

Turning to your de Mohrenschildt slide above, I am sure you are aware that de Mohrenschildt, in his Warren Commission testimony and in his posthumously published Oswald-sympathetic manuscript I'm a Patsy!, told clearly of he and Jeanne visiting Lee and Marina in April 1963. Now since you know that, as I know you do know that, this raises two questions, and I would like you to answer these two questions before proceeding with one thing further:

First, when you present your slide above to audiences, do you disclose to them that de Mohrenschildt told differently on that date than in this interview report in Haiti? Yes or no? And if not, is that ethical on your part to not disclose that to viewing audiences who may not know, if you do not tell them?

Second, do you even believe the slide you are showing? Do you personally believe it? That de Mohrenschildt's accounts of a date of April 1963 for a visit to Lee and Marina are fabrications of de Mohrenschildt and Jeanne, both of them, never happened? If so, would you state that directly and why?

Peter Dale Scott, Paul Hoch long ago and many others since, have suggested that Oswald's actions and behavior with respect to the BYP photos and the rifle purchase may have been related to informant or undercover work on the part of Oswald related to the Dodd Committee investigation on mail-order firearms, in continuity with Oswald's attempt to infiltrate Bringueir in New Orleans and pretend to have a Fair Play for Cuba branch in New Orleans, etc. Many researchers, myself included, think there may be something to that argument, even though proof in the form of, e.g. a confession from the then-Alcohol and Tobacco Tax intelligence division of IRS under the Treasury Department is elusive ("no files found on that", files which were routinely destroyed after 20 years before AARB 1990s made their inquiries, with ATF simultaneously acknowledging that informant files were kept at home by control agents, not in agency files even if agency files had not been destroyed). Has it occurred to you that your practice of "throwing everything but the kitchen sink" at the rifle-Oswald association evidence could function to deflect from going to actual solution of what was going on there? 

Edited by Greg Doudna