The Education Forum

Atomic Energy Museum Visit – Supporting Evidence?

Gerry Down

A controversial signature of Oswalds showed up in the visitors book of the Atomic Energy Museum in the Summer of 1963. I always thought that was the only hint Oswald had been to that museum. However apparently news clips of the museum tour were also found in a box at Oswald's rooming house.

The section of the Gemberling report dealing with the alleged Atomic Energy Museum does not seem to mention anything about news clips:
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=11462#relPageId=622&search=atomic_energy museum news clips

Had anyone else heard of these news clips? Have photographs of the news clips? Or documents confirming their discovery at Oswalds rooming house?

Edited by Gerry Down

57 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

A controversial signature of Oswalds showed up in the visitors book of the Atomic Energy Museum in the Summer of 1963. I always thought that was the only hint Oswald had been to that museum. However apparently news clips of the museum tour were also found in a box at Oswald's rooming house.

The section of the Gemberling report dealing with the alleged Atomic Energy Museum does not seem to mention anything about news clips:
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=11462#relPageId=622&search=atomic_energy museum news clips

Had anyone else heard of these news clips? Have photographs of the news clips? Or documents confirming their discovery at Oswalds rooming house?

Do you know if the Lee H. Oswald signature at Oak Ridge-AEM bears resemblance to LHO's real signatures? 

There is always the possibility, in these various LHO signatures scattered across the country, that pranksters just took advantage of an empty line in log-in books. 

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Do you know if the Lee H. Oswald signature at Oak Ridge-AEM bears resemblance to LHO's real signatures? 

There is always the possibility, in these various LHO signatures scattered across the country, that pranksters just took advantage of an empty line in log-in books. 

The FBI examined it and said it was not Oswald's writing.

But such examinations can be fallible.

Now if there was some Atomic Energy Museum literature at LHOs rooming house, then that begins to build a stronger case.

JFK researcher Bill Kelly has mentioned these news clips found at LHOs rooming house, but he gives no source as to where he got that info from.

• Gerry Down changed the title to Atomic Energy Museum Visit – Supporting Evidence?
On 2/20/2023 at 2:29 AM, Benjamin Cole said:

Might be his signature, might not… 

‘USSR’ next to his name is puzzling, as is his ‘Dallas Rd’ address? 

Edited by Sean Coleman

10 hours ago, Sean Coleman said:

424D866C-CD92-4304-B05A-A8732584DA43.jpeg.4a60c451d0a0082990a15c0b96d35d11.jpeg

Might be his signature, might not… 

‘USSR’ next to his name is puzzling, as is his ‘Dallas Rd’ address? 

It does look like his signature---that is, close enough that a mere prankster probably did not sign the name. Even if there had been an empty line on the page. 

Beats me. Maybe LHO was at the museum. 

However...is that LHO signature the very last one for 7/26/63? That would suggest an empty line was available. 

Ben, there is no blank line between the last signature on 7/23/63 and the first signature on 7/25/63. Nor between the last signature on 7/21 and the first [only] signature for 7/22, or between the 7/22 signature and the first one for 7/23.

So why would you suspect a blank line had existed on the line where Oswald's signature was placed, and that Oswald's signature might be bogus?

4 hours ago, Stu Wexler said:

Worth noting this is the day JFK speaks about the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty signed the day before.

True.

Have you heard anything about the "news clips" on the Atomic Energy Museum JFK researcher Bill Kelly says were found at LHOs rooming house after the assassination?

5 hours ago, Mark Knight said:

Ben, there is no blank line between the last signature on 7/23/63 and the first signature on 7/25/63. Nor between the last signature on 7/21 and the first [only] signature for 7/22, or between the 7/22 signature and the first one for 7/23.

So why would you suspect a blank line had existed on the line where Oswald's signature was placed, and that Oswald's signature might be bogus?

What I speculate (do not suspect) may have happened, is that there was a line left inadvertently blank from one day to the next.

In other words, the first person to sign in on 7/27 left a line blank above his/her signature, the way the first person signing in on a new day might. That might not happen most days, or only once in a while. This is not a rigid government document. It looks like an informal sign-in sheet. 

OK, after 11/22, a prankster is reviewing the log-in book, sees the black line, and signs LHO's signature. 

But the signature is close enough to LHO's "real" signature to cause thought. I wonder when LHOs signature was discovered in the log-book. If it was after LHO's signature had appeared somewhere in print, then a prankster could have copied LHO's real signature. 

Frankly, I have no strong views whether LHO was at the atom museum or not. It sure is curious. 

On 2/20/2023 at 1:29 AM, Gerry Down said:

Where was LHO in July 1963? The museum is some way from Dallas/NO...

Edited by Ian Lloyd
Change June to July

1 hour ago, Ian Lloyd said:

I suppose the journey could be done in one day - or night? Looks like the LHO signature is the last on the 26th, so could be late in the day?

Well, 10 hours at an average of 60 miles an hour would get one from N.O. to Oak Ridge, but really, we are talking 12 hours of pretty hard driving, considering stops to eat, re-fuel and as I recall, it is bit of trundle to get to the museum from the main highway. 

That's one way. 

Yes, possible in a 24-hour period, if one's only goal was to get LHO to Oak Ridge, sign the book, and get back. 

Another possibility is the signature was forged, by someone who had knowledge of what LHO's signature looked like. The "USSR" add-n is interesting. 

Looking at the list, there only seem to be a few visitors per day - maybe 3 or 4? If that's the case, you might expect someone to remember something of LHO visiting?

I think the "USSR" notation would be typical of LHO...hand-waving..."I'm here!"...