The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

William Saletan has long been one of my favorite op-ed journalists in the U.S.

Republicans Are Rationalizing Cruelty Toward Gaza

November 1, 2023 at 11:00 am EDT By Taegan Goddard 

William Saletan: “I’m Jewish. I believe in Israel, and I’m aghast at what Hamas did to so many innocent people on October 7. I strongly support the use of force against the killers.”

“But as thousands of innocent people die in Gaza—not as targets, but as victims of relentless bombardment in a war they didn’t choose—I can’t accept the bigotry, zealotry, and callousness these candidates are espousing. They aren’t standing up against ruthless religious violence. They’re promoting it.”

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, directing people including women and children to camps in South Gaza and then bombing them! 

I saw this interview with a guy in the Knesset who speaks great English and he says the people of Israel felt a great sense of relief and gratitude at Biden's declaration that the U.S.  stands  by Israel. People freak out about that but it's really only  Biden reaffirming the U.S.  position that Israel is an ally. That's to be expected. But what really matters is what is Biden doing behind the scenes?

When asked if Israel is being pressured by BIden for a humanitarian evacuation he said not "pressured" but "advised". To me it better be pressured, but of course  I would expect them to overemphasize solidarity and say "advised" 

I'm relieved that a humanitarian evacuation is starting to happen. But this bombing of the designated refugee areas is a human tragedy that also makes us look like dooky.  Biden should have called Israel to cease fire  a couple of weeks ago. Though we have incomplete knowledge, Biden looks pretty weak. It's the best for the stability of the world as well as the region if the only country that has the power to shape events in the Middle East is not seen to be so partisan. Otherwise the whole region could go up in flames.

Mike Johnson was dropped on everybody so fast, the media had no time to  vet him. He' an absolute extremist loon! Notice the conciliation the GOP wants is to down fund the IRS!  That should tell everybody where the GOP is at.

This pretty much tells it. There's a clip of Matt Gaetz crowing that  the GOP has now taken over by the MAGA wing!

Will the GOP shut down the government? Should we be really upset or will this eventually be just another incident of the Maga Republicans hanging themselves in 24'?

1 hour ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Pope Francis is walking in St. Augustine's footsteps here, in describing the proper relationship between Catholic theology, comparative religion, and scientific knowledge of the natural world.   In the 4th century A.D., Augustine had advised Catholic theologians to eschew assertions contradicted by science, to avoid "scandalizing the faithful" by their ignorance.

Unfortunately, the Roman Catholic Church ignored St. Augustine's sage advice for centuries.

This historical issue was discussed in detail by Brown University biology Professor Kenneth Miller in his outstanding book, Finding Darwin's God.

Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution (P.S.): Miller, Kenneth R.: 9780061233500: Amazon.com: Books

13 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

News Flash:  Washinton Senators win World Series.

13 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

News Flash:  Washinton Senators win World Series.

Congratulations to your intrepid Texas Rangers, Ron...

They were 11-0 on the road in the post-season.

Obviously, beating the reigning world champion Astros was the hard part.

Now they should host a celebration wth those famous old Texas Rangers, Augustus McCrae and Woodrow Call-- aka Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones.

50 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Pope Francis is walking in St. Augustine's footsteps here, in describing the proper relationship between Catholic theology, comparative religion, and scientific knowledge of the natural world.   In the 4th century A.D., Augustine had advised Catholic theologians to eschew assertions contradicted by science, to avoid "scandalizing the faithful" by their ignorance.

Unfortunately, the Roman Catholic Church ignored St. Augustine's sage advice for centuries.

This historical issue was discussed in detail by Brown University biology Professor Kenneth Miller in his outstanding book, Finding Darwin's God.

Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution (P.S.): Miller, Kenneth R.: 9780061233500: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for this historical background. Pope Francis is a blessing to all mankind in these perilous times.

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Congratulations to your intrepid Texas Rangers, Ron...

They were 11-0 on the road in the post-season.

Obviously, beating the reigning world champion Astros was the hard part.

Now they should host a celebration wth those famous old Texas Rangers, Augustus McCrae and Woodrow Call-- aka Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones.

Nah, how about Ferguson Jenkins, Rusty Greer, Pudge, and of course Nolan Ryan (I saw his 7th no-hitter, for free on tickets from Wynn Dixie for buying groceries).  Let's don't forget David Clyde.  I need to thank Cliff for Bochy coming out of retirement.

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Nah, how about Ferguson Jenkins, Rusty Greer, Pudge, and of course Nolan Ryan (I saw his 7th no-hitter, for free on tickets from Wynn Dixie for buying groceries).  Let's don't forget David Clyde.  I need to thank Cliff for Bochy coming out of retirement.

Yeah, Congratulations Ron! I loved it when Dusty took the Astros to the Championship! But I was firmly for Bochy over Dusty because Bochy took us 3 times to the Championship and Dusty pulled our stater Russ Ortiz with a 1 hitter in the bottom of the 7th to then blow a 5 run lead with us up 3-2 in game 6, then to lose game 7 in 2002!

I'm always in favor of a new team winning the World Series. It's great for the town!

I actually remember the Senators! I had Bob Lemon, Harmon Killebrew and Claude Osteen baseball cards! I thought Osteen was good, but the Dodgers got wise and traded for him, which sucked for us!.

P.S. Then it occurred to. Why did you mention the Senators? The Senators moved to Minneapolis.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway