The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

The moment this stock is able to be shorted, you will see it drop sooooooooo fast

I just read Kevin Drum's analysis of this Truth Social stock scam.

Quite a MAGA doozy.  The stock traded initially today at 100 times its actual value.

Why is Truth Social trading at 100 times its actual value? – Kevin Drum (jabberwocking.com)

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

I just read Kevin Drum's analysis of this Truth Social stock scam.

Quite a MAGA doozy.  The stock traded initially today at 100 times its actual value.

Why is Truth Social trading at 100 times its actual value? – Kevin Drum (jabberwocking.com)

I can only guess of course, but I'd bet the best time to short this turd will be about a month before Trump is legally able to cash out his shares.

-Not investment advice!-

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Now Republicans are even losing elections to Democrats IN ALABAMA lol

And just so folks don't think this was some kind of Blue oasis in Red Alabama:

GJpGqivWUAA1ez9?format=png&name=large

And, needless to say, the polls were wrong again:

She won by 25 points!

So,help me understand this.

Overnight, Trump went to one of the 500 richest people in the world.

He owns 60% of the stock in Truth Social.

If he gets a waiver and can sell early, or if he has to wait six months, he starts selling off his stock, which will create a huge sell off and the stock will plunge in value. Thousands of people stand to lose their shirts. The company will probably go bankrupt.

Last year the company had $3 mIllion in revenue and $49 million in losses. It has never earned a profit. Could this stock speculation lead to a stock market crash? 

Can Trump and the small handful of inside cronies be charged with insider trading? Are they artificially propping up the stock of a worthless company?

I think I read that one of the owners of the Digital Aquisitions Group is also one of the owners of TikTok, or at least, one of its major investors.

TikTok' parent company is ByteDance. ByteDance is a privately-held global company, with roughly 60 percent owned by global institutional investors (such as Blackrock, General Atlantic, and Susquehanna International Group.

The CEO of the Susquehanna International Group is a man by the name of Jeffrey S. Yass.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Yass#:~:text=Jeffrey S. Yass (born 1956,the richest man in Pennsylvania.&text=He is the co-founder,a major investor in TikTok.

"Jeffrey S. Yass (born 1956) is an American billionaire businessman. According to Forbes, Yass had a net worth of $28.5 billion in 2023. Yass is the richest man in Pennsylvania. He is the co-founder and managing director of the Philadelphia-based Susquehanna International Group (SIG) and a major investor in TikTok."

"As of March 2024, he is the largest donor in the 2024 US election cycle, having donated $46 million to Republican groups and campaigns, primarily to rivals of Donald Trump.[2] After Yass and Trump met in March 2024, Trump went from supporting a ban on TikTok to opposing a ban.[2] At the same time, Yass's SIG bought a substantial share in Trump's company Truth Social, providing Trump with a massive influx of money at a time when he faced mountainous legal expenses.[3]"

Are TikTok and Truth Social about to become the main sources of news in the social media world?

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

13 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

So, help me understand this.

Steve- I think what's happening there is this guy that "invested" in Trump, Yass, is trying to buy some influence, being a major holder in Tik Tok, which is actually a giant, very profitable company. Except Trump's influence is rapidly becoming worth less than squat, so this "investment" will likely end up as a tax write-off next year.

Hey, some rare good news today...  

Election Year Audience Erosion Continues for Right Wing Websites — TheRighting: Alerting mainstream audiences about headlines from the right

Right Wing Election Year Traffic Erosion Continues; MSM Falters Too

Election+Yr+Feb+20+to+24+screenshot.png?

19 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

I can only guess of course, but I'd bet the best time to short this turd will be about a month before Trump is legally able to cash out his shares.

-Not investment advice!-

With a company that awful, one might be able to make some money going long on a short squeeze.

Explanation for non-stock-traders:

Normally you make money by buying it at a low price and selling at a higher price. (If you're lucky and the price goes up.)

Short selling is when you do it backwards... to make money, first you sell the stock at a high price and later you buy it back at a lower price. (Again, if you're lucky and the price drops.) How do you sell a stock you don't own? You need to borrow from another trader.

After you sell it, you MUST buy it back at some point so that you can give the stock back to the trader you borrowed it from.

(You can lose your shirt short selling because stock prices can continue to rise for a long time, and you might have to buy it back when the price has gone up, say, 10 fold. Or 100 fold.)

If there's anybody still with me, I'll tell you what a short squeeze is:

Suppose you shorted Trump's stock. After some time Trump decides to sell his shares, at which time the price drops because demand for the stock is low. A lot of traders have shorted the stock and now need to buy it back. With all these traders buying the stock back at the same time, demand is suddenly HIGH and the price skyrockets.

Here's an example of a short squeeze:

DRYS-Stock-Chart.png

Now, if instead of shorting the stock you decide to go long, that just means you buy and sell the normal way. You buy the stock well before Trump dumps his shares, when the price is "normal." Then you wait for the short squeeze and you sell at the high price.

In all honesty, I would never short a stock that is owned by a small number of people. You can be forced to buy the stock back at any time by the trader you borrowed the stock from. Going long is a better choice for this Trump stock IMO. Unless you miss the squeeze... in which case you're hosed.

20 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

So,help me understand this.

Overnight, Trump went to one of the 500 richest people in the world.

He owns 60% of the stock in Truth Social.

If he gets a waiver and can sell early, or if he has to wait six months, he starts selling off his stock, which will create a huge sell off and the stock will plunge in value. Thousands of people stand to lose their shirts. The company will probably go bankrupt.

Last year the company had $3 mIllion in revenue and $49 million in losses. It has never earned a profit. Could this stock speculation lead to a stock market crash? 

Can Trump and the small handful of inside cronies be charged with insider trading? Are they artificially propping up the stock of a worthless company?

I think I read that one of the owners of the Digital Aquisitions Group is also one of the owners of TikTok, or at least, one of its major investors.

TikTok' parent company is ByteDance. ByteDance is a privately-held global company, with roughly 60 percent owned by global institutional investors (such as Blackrock, General Atlantic, and Susquehanna International Group.

The CEO of the Susquehanna International Group is a man by the name of Jeffrey S. Yass.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Yass#:~:text=Jeffrey S. Yass (born 1956,the richest man in Pennsylvania.&text=He is the co-founder,a major investor in TikTok.

"Jeffrey S. Yass (born 1956) is an American billionaire businessman. According to Forbes, Yass had a net worth of $28.5 billion in 2023. Yass is the richest man in Pennsylvania. He is the co-founder and managing director of the Philadelphia-based Susquehanna International Group (SIG) and a major investor in TikTok."

"As of March 2024, he is the largest donor in the 2024 US election cycle, having donated $46 million to Republican groups and campaigns, primarily to rivals of Donald Trump.[2] After Yass and Trump met in March 2024, Trump went from supporting a ban on TikTok to opposing a ban.[2] At the same time, Yass's SIG bought a substantial share in Trump's company Truth Social, providing Trump with a massive influx of money at a time when he faced mountainous legal expenses.[3]"

Are TikTok and Truth Social about to become the main sources of news in the social media world?

Steve Thomas

Steve, Trump can sell his stock now. All he needs is an ok from other shareholders which largely include his family. When a big shareholder wants to sell large lots of his stock. They usually use brokers who  dribble out smaller sell orders  over  a few weeks to not directly alert the markets,  or they will sell anonymously through "dark pools". But by law  after a couple of days it takes to clear sale, all sales are public so  it will be well known an insider of DJT is selling, which would trigger a wave of selling. He could certainly leave  a lot of his fellow share holders in s lurch, but  we know he's not beyond that, and he's been doing it to anyone whose trusted him all his life.

At this this time all shares of DJT have  been sold short so shorts are very expensive and the borrowing fees are currently 210% of the price, which it would seem to be that you'd be banking on the stock losing 3/4 of it's current share price just to break even.

It's interesting to hear CNN reporting that  Truth Social was up so much in it's opening day, they had to halt trading, which was  false and left the completely wrong impression. It  opened around 70 and in 10 minutes was up to 80 only to abruptly retrace  then  go lower down to 65. At that point, a trading halt was initiated to avoid panic selling, nor buying!   It was off the exchange for I think about 10 minutes and the halt did stop the panic selling, as when trading resumed,  it steadily advanced up to the low 70's and hung there for awhile.

New York Times headline today: "Many Have Made Millions on Former President's Media Stock":

From the article: "The biggest beneficiary is Mr. Trump, the company's biggest stockholder, whose stake is worth more than $5 billion on paper."

Former California Congressman Devin Nunes share in Trump Media is now worth $7 million.

Scott Globe, former acting secretary for policy at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, share in Trump Media is now worth more than $1 million,

"The bullishness around Trump Media has been driven by the enthusiasm of individual investors and Trump supporters, rather than by investment firms and hedge funds. The company's lofty valuation stands in contrast to its relatively small operations, with $3.3 million in revenue in the first nine months of last year."