The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

12 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

[Sandy] demographically falls right into the typical American Christian in that he's offended by what he sees on TV, but it doesn't translate into any real policy, probably like a lot of Israelis.

Kirk,

I'm a Christian and I abhor wars. But I'm also a realist. Wars happen. Sometimes they are justified.

BTW, it might surprise you to learn that I've been a critic of Israel and of American support of Israel for thirty years.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Interesting article about the Pope but there's a lot of controversy about that. Including some newly released documents. that were every bit as hard to get out of the Vatican as the remaining JFK files.

Pious was on thin ice because he feared the Nazis would take over Europe. And despite that document you cite sent from the Vatican to Germany in 1937.  In 1943, the Nazis came up to the Vatican's doorstep in Rome and rounded up  1250 Jews to take back to Auschwitz. The only  angle that Pope Pious XII could work was that some of them had been baptized and he managed to spare 250 but the remaining 1200 were sent back to Auschwitz and all but 7 of them were exterminated! 

You can read and watch here.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/vatican-documents-show-secret-back-channel-between-pope-pius-xii-and-adolph-hitler

I know I brought that up, but my intention wasn't to talk history. But I do see similar things going on right now, and what I'm curious about is trying to get your thoughts in your own words about these questions.

Kirk: America is still a largely  Christian nation. American Christians have seen   4 months of genocide going on in Gaza on TV and whatever their expressed revulsion is, it's not enough to translate even into the first step of calling for a ceasefire. 

W. Where is the humanitarian outrage of the American Christian community? As I've said, politically they are very pro Israeli, and they exert absolutely zero pressure in Congress against the genocide. Quite the opposite. They are  forging on , with their support of Israeli which seems to be the one issue that Dems and Repubs are united on.

Then on a more macro level. Purely on a political level now, isn't religion in America a huge  net negative force with horrendous consequences? The only people who are trying to make any difference are the right wing, who are the most active, the most vocal, and the most well financed and are Fascistic in their trampling of human rights, and the traditional Christians have no courage to oppose them because they are other Christians. So what good are they?

Kirk,

I'm not an apologist for the Vatican-- on the contrary, I'm a convert to the Orthodox Church (which was ditched by the Latins in 1054 A.D., when the Vatican established the "modern" monarchical Papacy and College of Cardinals.)  But I wanted to point out that Pope Pius XI correctly anathematized Naziism as an anti-Christian heresy in 1937.  Let's give credit where it is due.  (Pius XII -- who became Pope in 1939--had a less admirable history with the fascists.)

Most people don't know about Pius XI's 1937 anti-Nazi encyclical.  Some even believe, erroneously, that Hitler and his neo-pagan Wotanists (and atheists) were Christians.  They weren't, although Hitler was a "cradle" Catholic, like most Austrians. (Steven Gaal, one of my favorite Education Forum members, posted some interesting historical material on that subject here on the Education Forum.)

Orthodox Christians in the Middle East have long been bewildered by many things about right wing Protestant Evangelicals in the United States, including their beliefs about the "Rapture," and their support for the Nakba and Zionist militants in Israel.   I know this from personal experience, because, during the past 30 years, I have conversed with indigenous Orthodox Christian Arabs from Palestine, Jordan, and Syria, (including a Syrian Orthodox bishop who grew up in Damascus on "the street called 'Straight,' where St. Paul recuperated from his blindness on the road to Damascus.)

Most Americans don't know about the Orthodox Jewish custom of spitting on Orthodox Christian priests and bishops in Israel.  But I have known Orthodox Christian priests who have been spat upon there.  The Talmud has always taught that Christ and Christians are an abomination.  Someone needs to tell the bad news to Trump's clueless Evangelicals.

Not that Islamic Sharia law has been much better.  Under Sharia law, Muslim converts to Christianity were traditionally executed, and Jews and Christians had to pay a religious tax called the "jizya."  They had the status of "dhimmis," second class citizens who were not allowed to hold public office or serve as witnesses in trials.

Here's the definitive historical reference on that subject.

The Decline of Eastern Christianity Under Islam: From Jihad to Dhimmitude : Seventh-Twentieth Century: Ye'Or, Bat: 9780838636886: Amazon.com: Books

Edited by W. Niederhut

Lara Logan: Christianity trumps Native Americans' beliefs because 'they just didn't win'

by David Edwards February 27, 2024

https://www.rawstory.com/2667377021/

“Conservative journalist Lara Logan suggested Christian nationalism was more significant than the beliefs of Native Americans because white colonizers massacred them.”

And Jesus wept.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

I wonder how the "Russia First" wing of the GOP will make excuses for this.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lawyer-of-putin-foe-alexei-navalny-arrested-in-moscow-russian-media?ref=home

Putin is an enemy of the U.S. and the entire world.

Matt,

I doubt that Trumpsters will even hear about this.  Most of them don't even remember when Trump dismissed reports (from physicians in Germany) that Navalny had been poisoned.  Then, at the time, Trump declared that Navalny's fate was none of our business!

Can't make this stuff up...  🙄

It reminds me of the twin and adoption study data indicating a possible genetic etiology of sociopathy.

In this case, the apple didn't fall far from the rotten apple tree.

Lauren Boebert’s Son Arrested in ‘Crime Wave’

February 28, 2024 at 8:23 am EST By Taegan Goddard 

Rep. Lauren Boebert’s (R-CO) son was arrested Tuesday and now faces 22 charges — including five felonies — relating to an alleged crime wave in Colorado, the Daily Beast reports.

The arrest is the latest drama involving Boebert’s family which has come as she runs for election in a new Colorado district.