The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

Record high 95 F temperatures in Dallas this week, with the largest wildfire in Texas history in the Panhandle.

We have also had some wildfires on the front range up here in Colorado, including one at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

My wife and I have been in Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park this week, and the wind was so high recently that it actually blew a wooden Adirondack chair off of our neighbors patio, down the hill.

Texas wildfire becomes largest in state history, "critical" fire weather threatens

www.axios.com/2024/02/29/texas-wildfire-largest-state-history-forecast

March 2, 2024

Edited by W. Niederhut

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/1/2024 at 8:30 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

Here, I fill in your blanks with bold text:

The Israelis are not as piously religious as I had thought, so they are grievously violating the Jewish principle of "an eye for an eye" (exacting punishment that is commensurate with the crime) by killing so many Gazans. (Not to mention violating their religious belief in "loving your neighbor," when it comes to the collateral killing and maiming of Gazans, and causing them to suffer.)

Ok Sandy , I think we can discuss this stuff reasonably. I have a question for both you and W. 

I've always thought Sandy has no problem, speaking from his heart so to speak.  Sandy, I'd like you to hold off from answering. 

W. Ive asked you a number of times now to answer in your own words and your response is  just to start quoting  books  and authors. Like your recent post, It should be obvious to you that I question any motive involved in trying to establish a premise that the good old time religious genocides through the millennia  are more humane  than, in your terms the Social or atheist based genocides of the 20th Century.  I've explained that to me, Genocide is genocide" and I have no desire to read  any of your authors who would pose that argument  or read the Talmud, for other reasons we could perhaps discuss later. Could we start with you?

Ok,

It's not a  trap or a "gotcha" question. I don't presume to know the answer. For example, I sometimes have felt like we're going to "hell in a hand basket."   heh heh

Is the decline in religiosity in the U.S. (less church attendance, etc. ) a concern for either of you? Have at it.

1 hour ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Highlight: President Biden eats an ice cream cone while talking about the starvation in Gaza.

Good podcast Doug!  Napolitano could never get away with this on Fox. Biden being held to task.
But you do trivialize it by mentioning the Biden ice cream cone incident. Here's what happened. Biden was a guest on Seth Myers show.

With all these previous photos out in the public of Biden nonchalantly licking an ice cream cone. For entertainment value, Myers took Biden to a nearby ice cream shop. There a person unexpectedly asked Biden about the prospects of a  ceasefire in Gaza. Biden hesitated a little, (which of course make people  jeer him for being slow.) because he was wondering if he should reveal a potential  policy  direction at an ice cream shop. But he wanted to deliver something of substance so he mentions the upcoming plans for a ceasefire that haven't been  finalized, and gets a lot of heat for it. That's the story.

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Ok Sandy , I think we can discuss this stuff reasonably. I have a question for both you and W. 

I've always thought Sandy has no problem, speaking from his heart so to speak.  Sandy, I'd like you to hold off from answering. 

W. Ive asked you a number of times now to answer in your own words and your response is  just to start quoting  books  and authors. Like your recent post, It should be obvious to you that I question any motive involved in trying to establish a premise that the good old time religious genocides through the millennia  are more humane  than, in your terms the Social or atheist based genocides of the 20th Century.  I've explained that to me, Genocide is genocide" and I have no desire to read  any of your authors who would pose that argument  or read the Talmud, for other reasons we could perhaps discuss later. Could we start with you?

Ok,

It's not a  trap or a "gotcha" question. I don't presume to know the answer. For example, I sometimes have felt like we're going to "hell in a hand basket."   heh heh

Is the decline in religiosity in the U.S. (less church attendance, etc. ) a concern for either of you? Have at it.

Kirk,

I have studied the history of genocide for years. 

UCLA Professor Jared Diamond has approached the subject from the perspective of the biological history of Homo Sapiens and our closest biological relatives-- chimpanzees.  Both Homo Sapiens and chimps are inherently tribal and genocidal.  (See The Third Chimpanzee and Guns, Germs, and Steel.)

Diamond has listed Stalin's Soviet genocide as the worst in history-- at 20 million.

The Nazi Holocaust is second-- at 6 million.

The Khmer Rouge killed 2 million Cambodians.

All three were perpetrated by atheistic governments that, essentially, declared, "God is dead."

Dostoevsky anticipated Nietzsche by asking, (In the Brothers Karamazov) "If God is dead, will everything become lawful?"

Put differently, would the Soviet and Nazi genocides have happened if God had lived, so to speak?

No doubt, some religions have played a role in wars throughout history, but is there a bona fide sense in which Christianity-- in its unadulterated, Orthodox form-- Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduism have ameliorated our inherently genocidal tendencies?

Let's recall that the pagan Romans killed people for sport in their Ludi, and Holy Russia eschewed capital punishment.  (The Tsars sent convicted criminals, like Lenin and Stalin, to Siberian dachas, to repent.)

I raise these questions because most modern intellectuals don't realize that the worst genocides in history have been committed by atheists.

As for church attendance,  Evangelical Protestantism has largely become unrecognizable to the original Orthodox Church.  Where is the love for humanity?  Non-violence?  Charity?  Forbearance?  Evangelical Trumpsters are not Christians, as I understand the term.

In any case, the modern world has become, essentially, post-Christian.

Edited by W. Niederhut

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Good podcast Doug!  Napolitano could never get away with this on Fox. Biden being held to task.
But you do trivialize it by mentioning the Biden ice cream cone incident. Here's what happened. Biden was a guest on Seth Myers show.

With all these previous photos out in the public of Biden nonchalantly licking an ice cream cone. For entertainment value, Myers took Biden to a nearby ice cream shop. There a person unexpectedly asked Biden about the prospects of a  ceasefire in Gaza. Biden hesitated a little, (which of course make people  jeer him for being slow.) because he was wondering if he should reveal a potential  policy  direction at an ice cream shop. But he wanted to deliver something of substance so he mentions the upcoming plans for a ceasefire that haven't been  finalized, and gets a lot of heat for it. That's the story.

Biden arranged for 38,000 meals to be dropped in Gaza today where 500,000 are close to total starvation.  He is also pushing for more bombs to be sent to Israel that will be dropped on Gaza. He boasted on Myers show that he is a Zionist, which explains a lot about him.

Beware: Trump supporters getting conned with worthless currency

https://nordot.app/1136727684694196800?c=592622757532812385

Have you heard of the Trump Rebate Banking System? 

"Supporters are told Trump Bucks will propel Donald Trump’s 2024 presidential bid and make the “real patriots” who support him rich when he wins and they can cash in.
How would it work? According to NBC News, those who got duped believe Trump, when he is re-elected, will institute a new monetary system that will make Trump Bucks valuable:
Those who buy these items, the ads from Patriots Dynasty, Patriots Future and USA Patriots suggest, will be rewarded when Trump unveils a new monetary system that will turn these products into legal tender worth far more than the purchase price."

People have actually tried to go to their local bank and cash them.

Trump. The Don of the MAGA Crime Family.

Steve Thomas

deleted

Edited by W. Niederhut

17 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Highlight: President Biden eats an ice cream cone while talking about the starvation in Gaza.

Well shame on that Biden for eating an ice cream cone!

Jeez Doug, I can't believe how anti-Biden you have become.

16 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Sandy, I'd like you to hold off from answering.

I don't know if you want me to hold off from answering your following question or not.

16 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I'm not really concerned with church attendance. It's a personal choice for everybody.

But I do want to make a point that seems to favors religion and church attendance:

I live in Utah County, which is in central Utah. Although Salt Lake County is technically the center of Mormon leadership, Utah County truly is the center of Mormonism itself. It is where Brigham Young University is located, and it has the highest rate of LDS membership in the country -- 88% I just found. There's an LDS church building every several blocks. I believe that a majority of residents attend church weekly.

You get the point... Utah County is VERY religious.

Utah County also has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. Utah State as a whole is ranked the fourth safest state, and Utah County is by far the safest heavily-populated county in the state.

The point I am trying to make is that it appears that Mormonism has a positive effect on its followers, in terms of lowering their propensity to commit crimes. (Though it also helps that Utah County's poverty rate isn't through the roof... though it's not low either.)

Having made my point, I'm not sure that the same can be said for all Christian denominations.

13 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

The point I am trying to make is that it appears that Mormonism has a positive effect on its followers, in terms of lowering their propensity to commit crimes.

BTW, I'm not a believing Mormon. I believe only what is in the New Testament.

Democratic Progressives are the only people in the U.S. who have been correct about Netanyahu's ethnic cleansing of Gaza since October.  So, naturally, AIPAC is determined to drive them out of the U.S. Congress.

AIPAC Uncorks $100 Million Against Progressives

March 3, 2024 at 9:24 am EST By Taegan Goddard 53 Comments

“AIPAC is expected to spend $100 million across its political entities in 2024, taking aim at candidates they deem insufficiently supportive of Israel,” Politico reports.

“The strategy has taken on new urgency this election season from donors animated by the Israel-Hamas war.”