The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I should say a few words about Ken and Barbie here.

One of my older sisters had a Barbie and a Ken doll-- and an orange Barbie & Ken convertible sports car-- back in the early 60s, when I was a lad.  So, I knew all about them, despite the fact that they never talked.

And, IMO, the Barbie movie illustrated some profound truths about male and female psychology-- some of which was originally identified by Dr. Carol Gilligan and the women's psychology movement (at the Stone Center in Wellesley, Massachusetts) in the 1980s.

Gilligan's book, In A Different Voice, was a landmark description of developmental differences between boys and girls, and it helped me understand why men tend to be fundamentally more narcissistic, and dependent, than women. 

The archetype of the roving cowboy who doesn't need a woman is, in fact, a counter-dependent myth.  We men, like Ken, are, generally, more needy and dependent than women.

The essence of Gilligan's theory is that little boys tend to experience an earlier, traumatic separation/break with their mothers than little girls, due to a lack of gender identification with their mothers.  We respond to the narcissistic injury with grandiosity and counter-dependence.

So, for example, in the Barbie movie, Ken desperately wants Barbie to love him, but Barbie is, basically, content to live her life without Ken encroaching on her autonomy.  

Speaks volumes about core issues between men and women.

517eBcMAe8L._SY466_.jpg

Amazon.com: In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women’s Development: 8583210654338: Gilligan, Carol: Books

Edited by W. Niederhut

3 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

After its electoral defeat on November 5th, 2024, the Republican Party will, for all intents and purposes, no longer exist.

I sure hope you're right Matt. I'm a bit worried. Have you seen how much Hispanic support has switched from Biden to Trump since 2016 and 2020?

My wife, who works with a lot of Hispanics (including illegals) say's that they're unhappy with the Biden Administration allowing migrants from Mexico coming in and supporting them financially. Which makes no sense to me, but that's what they say.

Are you in Texas, Sandy? Or somewhere down south? I know Biden's support with Hispanics in Red States isn't as high as it should logically be, seeing as Trump wants to round up all brown people and put them in internment camps, but in general I don't think there is an issue there. Trump is going to lose, and it won't be particularly close.

11 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I sure hope you're right Matt. I'm a bit worried. Have you seen how much Hispanic support has switched from Biden to Trump since 2016 and 2020?

My wife, who works with a lot of Hispanics (including illegals) say's that they're unhappy with the Biden Administration allowing migrants from Mexico coming in and supporting them financially. Which makes no sense to me, but that's what they say.

Sandy,

Denver has been swamped with busloads of Venezuelan refugees (from Texas) this year.  These poor guys are out on the street corners here trying to make a few bucks washing windshields.  And the city is cutting back on Parks & Rec services to try to fund emergency shelter and food for the refugees.  

I spoke to a grounds keeper at a local golf course this week who told me that his hours have been redued by the city, because of the budget cuts.

So, some locals are, unfortunately, angry at Biden because of Greg Abbot and Trump's sabotage of the recent bipartisan Senate border bill.

It's merely one aspect of the Trump/MAGA strategy of sabotaging rational governance to engender hostility to Biden.