The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

The original song was written by a northern Mississippi blues singer named Bukka White--aka Booker T. Washington White-- an older second cousin of B.B. KIng.

interesting - I didn't know that.

I had Tom Rush's Ladies Love Outlaws album that had 2 real gems on it - Urge for Going and Hobo's Mandolin.  Got it for 25c in a cutout bin in the 70s.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W's Tom Rush post got me thinking about the albums I used to play a lot in the 70s and which ones I still go to today.

Anyway - here's one that I'll guess no one has heard, but that is easily in my top 5 by number of times listened to.  A 1976 Stereo Review album of the year - Have Moicy!

It opens with a bang and then is just great and almost completely different all the way through featuring different singers, musicians and incredibly crazy song lyrics.   I'll link the opener - Midnight in Paris, but highly recommend at least listening to these 2 if I was in a band I would insist we play these 3.

* Robbing Banks  (my favorite song on the album)

* Jackknife / Red Newt (2nd favorite)

Other highlights, if I can call them that, include - Jealous Daddy's Death Song, Slurf Song (a song about digestion), Country Bump & Weep Weep Weep (with the incredible opening lyric - 'I pasted your picture to the bottom of my glass and then I got drunk and fell on my ass').

The rest of the album doesn't sound like this, see above - but.....

Edited by Bill Fite

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

The original song was written by a northern Mississippi blues singer named Bukka White--aka Booker T. Washington White-- an older second cousin of B.B. KIng.

I had Tom Rush's Ladies Love Outlaws album that had 2 real gems on it - Urge for Going and Hobo's Mandolin.  Got it for 25c in a cutout bin in the 70s.

30 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

Yeah, Bill, Tom Rush did a fine cover of Joni Mitchell's song, Urge for Going, which is a real gem.

There was a lively folk scene in New England and Greenwich Village back in the day.

My friends and I were amateur folk musicians at Brown, but we were the last of a dying breed by the late 70s.

It's one reason why I now admire Billy Strings and his terrific young bluegrass band.

Edited by W. Niederhut

40 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Yeah, Bill, Tom Rush did a fine cover of Joni Mitchell's song, Urge for Going, which is a real gem.

There was a lively folk scene in New England and Greenwich Village back in the day.

My friends and I were amateur folk musicians at Brown, but we were the last of a dying breed by the late 70s.

It's one reason why I now admire Billy Strings and his terrific young bluegrass band.

W - I'd be interested in your & anybody else's opinion of the 3 songs I linked on Have Moicy I think they are mostly NY folkies.

Edited by Bill Fite

11 hours ago, Bill Fite said:

W - I'd be interested in your & anybody else's opinion of the 3 songs I linked on Have Moicy I think they are mostly NY folkies.

LMAO...🤣

Good stuff, Bill.  I had never heard of these guys before.

They're talented and very funny.

The Rounder label also produced my two favorite Norman Blake albums, and some Doc Watson family recordings, as I recall.  I've always liked that old timey stuff.

I've recorded some old timey songs in my basement "studio" over the years-- with guitar, mandolin, and fiddle.

(I inherited a vintage 1934 Martin mandolin from my aunt back in the day.)

Here's an archival old timey recording of Rye Whiskey I made about 20 years ago.  Simple song, but I like it.

It was originally a Scottish folk song called, "Up on Clinch Mountain," which I learned (in Texas form) from an old Tex Ritter recording as a boy.  I changed the lyrics, to "Up on West Gold Hill," about a mountain outside of Tincup, Colorado, where I spent summers as a boy.

The cabin in the photo is our old family cabin in Tincup.

RYE WHISKEY

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14841773

41 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Here's an archival old timey recording of Rye Whiskey I made about 20 years ago.  Simple song, but I like it.

Very nice rendition.

If you liked those 3 songs the rest of the album is almost that good.  Jealous Daddy's Death Song is really good.  

You might have heard of Peter Stampfel the fiddle player and lead vocal on Midnight in Paris.  He was one of the duo that were the Holy Modal Rounders.

I was a big Rounder / Flying Fish records customer back in the day after Led Zeppelin, Buckingham/Nicks and the Eagles killed my interest in rock.

New Lost City Ramblers, New Grass Revival, John Hartford,  Holy Modal Rounder & Martin, Bogan and Armstrong were some of my favorites.

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Elon Musk is the immigrant that needs to be deported.

Yes, Matt, the U.S. has a serious Elon Musk problem.

I noticed that Brazil recently banned X.

I wonder what options we have, if any, to get rid of this fascist SOB.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/sep/03/california-hydrogen-powered-train-air-quality-solution

"There’s a new train pulling into the station in San Bernardino, a southern California city about 60 miles from Los Angeles. From the outside, it looks like any other commuter train, with three passenger carriages, blocky windows and a colourful blue exterior.

But inside, it’s unlike anything the region – or the country – has seen before. The $20m Zero-Emission Multiple Unit, known as Zemu, uses a hybrid hydrogen fuel cell and battery system to propel the train and run other onboard electrical systems. The only byproduct of the fuel cell is water vapour, a welcome change in an area known as the Inland Empire that suffers from some of the worst air quality rates in the country.

The new technology will make Zemu the first hydrogen-powered, zero-emissions passenger train in North America to meet Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) requirements when it goes into service early next year"

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

I wonder what options we have, if any, to get rid of this fascist SOB.

Once we’re past Nov 5th I hope he is investigated for election interference; he’s deliberately ignoring the fact that 75% of his “users” are Russian bots and trolls spreading misinformation.

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Matt,

If Biden is serious about shutting down Russian propaganda in the U.S., he needs to do something about Elon Musk.

Also, RFK, Jr. has utterly disgraced himself today by repeating this moronic, racist trope about Kamala Harris.*

One of the Kennedy boys should kick the crap out of racist Bobby F. Brainworm.

There's something seriously wrong with this nutcase.

*   RFK Jr. rips Kamala Harris: We need a president 'who can give an interview' (thehill.com)