The Education Forum

When did the DeMohrenschildt BYP appear?

Thanks for all this information and it jibes with when I thought it first appeared.

Why do I ask?  Because this is what Epstein now says in his memoir:

He says that Oswald gave DeM  the picture in April of 1963.

I had never heard that before. Has anyone heard that one?

My memory was that the Baron was surprised when he found that in his belongings upon his return from Haiti. And Larry's link sure does make it seem that way since the Baron wrote about it that way.

And that it came to the HSCA through his widow.  And the HSCA was really taken with the picture since it was different in its perspective and its resolution. 

Edited by James DiEugenio

5 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

133-A, DeM, is significant because it is markedly clearer than 133-A, is even a bit clearer than 133-A, Stovall, is nearly twice as large as the other prints (except for 133-A, Stovall), and, oddly, was the only picture printed full negative, i.e., the only picture that was not cropped.

The HSCA PEP chose to assume that 133-A, DeM, was a copy of the 133-A negative, but the DeM print is noticeably clearer than either version of 133-A. The PEP admitted that 133-A, DeM, was “probably made in a high quality enlarger with a high quality lens." This was an admission that the DeM print almost certainly was not developed and printed in the same place that 133-A, 133-B, and 133-C were, which raises all kinds of questions about the photos' provenance. 

My understanding there is that LHO had all his BY photos printed at a local drug store, but then went somewhere different to get a better quality one made which was possibly made at his place of work JCS. He possibly wanted a higher quality print made to send to "The Militant" which would bring out the writing on "The Militant" newspaper he was holding more clearly. And it was one of these higher quality prints he gave to GDM.  

3 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

My understanding there is that LHO had all his BY photos printed at a local drug store, but then went somewhere different to get a better quality one made which was possibly made at his place of work JCS. He possibly wanted a higher quality print made to send to "The Militant" which would bring out the writing on "The Militant" newspaper he was holding more clearly. And it was one of these higher quality prints he gave to GDM.  

Can i ask where you got this story Gerry?

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Can i ask where you got this story Gerry?

Its not known where he got the photos developed, but there is a theory going around that the BY photos were of the low grade kind one would have made at a drug store, that when LHO saw them he saw that the whole point of showing off the two newspapers he was holding up had been negated by the poor quality of the photos and so he took at least one of the negatives to somewhere where there were higher quality printers to make sure the writing of the newspapers was visible. LHO then possibly used the higher quality printers at JCS, the same ones he had used to make his Hidell card.

Marina said he sent one of the photos to The Militant newspaper, and years later The Militant confirmed they had got one of them as detailed in Gus Russos book "Live By The Sword".

The Gus Russo story has been discredited by Jeff Carter.

10 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

The Gus Russo story has been discredited by Jeff Carter.

Are you specifically referring to the claim that The Militant received a copy of the BY photo?

Or are you talking in a general sense about Gus Russo not being a credible author?

17 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

Are you specifically referring to the claim that The Militant received a copy of the BY photo?

Or are you talking in a general sense about Gus Russo not being a credible author?

I think it’s in Jeff’s K&K article on the BYPs that he linked in this thread. I haven’t read it in a while but I’m assuming that’s what Jim is talking about. 

Farrell Dobbs, who almost certainly would’ve known about it, said the Militant BYP thing never happened. He wrote in his affidavit that the only photo of Oswald in the Militant’s files was a press clipping from after the assassination, and that he was “confident no photo of him was ever received prior to President Kennedy’s assassination.” FWIW

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh11/pdf/WH11_Dobbs_aff.pdf

Edited by Tom Gram