The Education Forum

Judge Burt Griffin on "the Rosetta Stone to Jack Ruby"

From Judge Burt Griffin's new book, JFK, Oswald, and Ruby: Politics, Prejudice and Truth (2023), pp. 56-57:

"At about 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, November 23, Ruby phoned Crafard from his apartment, telling Crafard to secure a small flash camera from the Carousel Club and wait for him and George Senator to pick him up. They drove to a billboard overlooking a Dallas freeway that proclaimed 'Impeach Earl Warren.' Ruby wanted to photograph it. He believed the billboard was somehow connected to a full-page ad attacking President Kennedy that had appeared that day in the Dallas Morning News. Ruby suspected that the billboard, the ad, and the assassination were connected. Ruby was going to solve the crime ... By about 5:45 a.m. Crafard was back at the Carousel Club. Ruby and Senator were on their way home.

"At about 8:30 a.m., Crafard telephoned Ruby ... Crafard told the FBI that Ruby's anger caused him to make a decision ... [he] set off hitchhiking for Michigan.

"To [Leon] Hubert and me, this was strange behavior. The president has been assassinated. Crafard joins Ruby to take photographs at 5:00 a.m. the next day, and a few hours later Crafard leaves Dallas without telling Ruby. Did Crafard know something that we did not know? ... We were able to bring Crafard to Washington to testify. He repeated what he had previously told the FBI: Ruby was difficult to work for; Ruby's behavior after the assassination was bizarre (my word, not Crafard's); Crafard had been thinking about leaving Dallas for about a week; Ruby had mistreated him; and he wanted to be with relatives in Michigan. Ruby had not said anything about killing Oswald. Crafard had no information about a conspiracy.

"For many years, I thought Crafard might be the Rosetta Stone to Jack Ruby and that someday he would tell a story that we had not heard. He died on April 19, 2011, at age seventy without writing a book or telling a different story to other investigators. I suspected that after nearly forty-eight years of silence, he was not withholding anything of importance."

Comment:

The strange story of the billboard photography functioned as alibi.

At 7:30 am that morning of Sat Nov 23 a snub-nosed .38 Special Smith & Wesson revolver in a paper bag (with an orange and apple in the paper bag, all the better to give weight to a paper bag being tossed from a moving car) was found near a street curb at Ross and Lamar, downtown Dallas, probably tossed there by someone wanting to disassociate themselves from a weapon used in a serious crime.

Such as maybe a recent murder done with a .38 Special.

The citizen who found it turned it in to the Dallas Police, who notified the FBI, but nobody else for decades knew of it--not Burt Griffin, not the Warren Commission. And nobody even among CT's thought to propose that was the murder weapon of the killing of Officer Tippit, shot and killed with a .38 Special only 18 hours before the citizen found the strange paper bag with the discarded apple, orange, and .38 Special Smith & Wesson.

The killing of officer Tippit was the only known homicide by handgun in the greater Dallas region at that time, a killing done by someone that Tippit crime scene witnesses thought agreed in physical description and resemblance to Curtis Craford (based on multiple mistaken identification sightings in which witnesses who had seen Craford thought they had seen Oswald, as the Tippit crime scene witnesses thought they had seen Oswald).

And the paper-bag revolver was tossed on the direct driving route one would drive from the Carousel Club (where Ruby picked up Craford), west on Commerce, north on Lamar, to get on to the nearest freeway by which to get to the location of the billboard in another part of town. 

And you know Ruby looks like he might have had something to do with the Tippit killing for this reason: that on Sun Nov 24, the same day he killed Oswald, Ruby told the FBI the street address where the Tippit cruiser was when Tippit was killed, as the street address of his dancer (and friend of Craford) Joy Dale [Joyce McDonald], even though that was not her address. Ruby by mistake gave as the address of Joy Dale where Tippit stopped his cruiser when he was shot and killed! And not to mention that where Tippit was killed was near where Ruby lived, and that Ruby was seen with Craford leaving a restaurant with Ruby at 2:30 a.m. on Nov 22 for Craford's ride home from work at the Vegas Club, from which Ruby could have driven Craford to Ruby's apartment, instead of to the Carousel Club, to sleep that night, leaving Craford by himself there within walking distance of the Tippit crime scene, after both Ruby and George Senator left the apartment that morning. And the killer of Tippit was seen going to the scene of the Tippit killing walking from the east from the direction of Ruby's apartment, and when he got there must have flagged Tippit to talk to him (rather than Tippit stopping him), and the killing looked professional ... 

And Ruby himself personally killed Oswald a day later, after the odd 5-5:45 am photography trip with Craford, driving a course which included at the beginning where a murder weapon of the kind used to kill Tippit hours earlier was dropped in a street at about the time that murder weapon was dropped in that street, Craford alone in Ruby's car in the back seat as Ruby in the front drove and Senator was in the passenger seat in front, Craford in the back seat perhaps with a window rolled down...

And as I showed in my paper which can downloaded here, https://www.scrollery.com/?p=1553, the witnesses inside the theater, civilians and police alike, support an interpretation that the killer of Tippit who went into the balcony was a different person than Oswald sitting on the ground level who had been there earlier. There was a vehicle out back behind the theater waiting with engine running and key in the engine and no one in it ... as the killer of Tippit went into the balcony intent on killing again: killing Oswald already there in the theater.

The same intent that his boss, Ruby, carried out later that weekend, after the theater attempt failed.

And the Dallas Police Department, and the FBI, covered up that paper-bag revolver's existence, and that revolver and all Dallas Police paperwork thereof was disappeared.

And so there is no issue that the DPD and FBI covered up. And what was that paper-bag revolver being covered up over? Isn't it obvious? The Tippit killing is the obvious default hypothesis, the hypothesis that makes so much sense only specific evidence or compelling scenario offering an alternative explanation for the paper-bag revolver is sufficient to dislodge it.

The issue on tampering with physical evidence is between whether the DPD and/or FBI tampered with/covered up only once, the paper-bag revolver (but were clean on the shell hulls matched to Oswald's revolver), or twice, the paper-bag revolver and the match of the shell hulls to Oswald's revolver.

If the paper-bag revolver was covered up/tampered with because it was suspected to be the Tippit murder weapon, right there is motive and precedent for manipulation of the shell hulls found at the crime scene to be matched to Oswald's revolver, as I have separately examined in this paper: https://www.scrollery.com/?p=1541

The paper-bag revolver was never known to the Warren Commission. No one from the Dallas Police or FBI breathed a word of it to the Warren Commission.

Judge Griffin, whose book is a straight-up sincere well-written defense of the Warren Commission's investigation and conclusions from an honorable staff counsel on that Commission ... Judge Griffin by his own account "for many years" after the Warren Report thought Curtis Craford had held back, that Curtis Craford could be the Rosetta Stone for understanding Ruby. 

Judge Griffin may have been more right all those years on Craford than he realized--right in spades. 

The Dallas Police arriving in force at the Texas Theatre in hot pursuit of a killer at large of a fellow officer suspected to have run into that theatre, believed Oswald was that culprit after eyewitness Brewer told the police he was (after Brewer first tried to find the man he was looking for in the balcony but could not see anyone there). 

And Oswald's reactions and also having a .38 Special on his person, plus identified very quickly afterward as the assassin of JFK, and Tippit crime scene witnesses in the lineups picking out Oswald as the fleeing gunman they believed they had seen, quickly produced what seemed a conclusive, open-and-shut closure of the Tippit killing on Oswald.

But the witnesses inside the theatre, both civilian and police, support that the killer of Tippit was in the balcony (where he had gone from the street and where police encountered and talked to him), and that Oswald on the ground floor was not the killer of Tippit but that killer of Tippit's next intended victim. (See my paper of the link above for fuller argument on that.)

And so it was not a matter of--there was no advance plot to frame Oswald for the Tippit killing. There was no wallet with Oswald ID at the Tippit crime scene. It instead was an intent to kill Oswald the day of the assassination, right there in the theater, getaway vehicle all primed and ready to go, engine running, out the back of the theater for the killer to jump into and drive away after the deed was done. 

And the shocking idea that Oswald on the ground level may have been the Tippit killer's intended victim, Oswald having entered the theater as a ticket-purchasing customer, not the Tippit killer who passed Brewer's store and went into the balcony, has nothing to do in itself with being an argument for Oswald's innocence in the JFK assassination, any more than did the action two days later of Craford's chauffeur (the night of the tossing of the murder weapon) and employer in carrying out the extrajudicial execution, aka mob hit, on Oswald on Sunday morning.

All Oswald in the theater as intended next victim of the Tippit killer says is that Oswald was marked for death following the assassination, however that is to be interpreted. It does not make him innocent of JFK. It does not make him guilty of JFK. It only makes him innocent of Tippit.

In this different way of looking at that crime case, the Tippit crime scene witnesses and Brewer did the same thing as non-Tippit crime scene witnesses--misidentified Craford as Oswald, based on brief glimpses, no prior familiarity, influence from police and peer and news influence, and the physical similarity between Craford and the nondescript Oswald to witnesses who did not know better.

The information in those crime scene eyewitnesses' identifications is not that the killer of Tippit was Oswald, but that the killer of Tippit sufficiently resembled Oswald as to be capable of being identified as Oswald whether or not he was Oswald. 

Another Carousel Club employee of Ruby, Andy Armstrong, is the only alibi Craford has (other than Ruby and Craford himself) claiming Craford was elsewhere than the Tippit crime scene at the time of the murder, or at the Carousel Club the morning of Nov 22. Can Andy Armstrong be relied upon to have been truthful on that? Or could that have been a favor he was asked to provide? There is no other alibi for Craford.  

The paper-bag revolver looks like the smoking gun of the Tippit case.

Did not receive one syllable of mention in Myers' encyclopedic book on the Tippit case.

Nor did CT's make the connection of the paper-bag revolver to the Tippit case either. Just missed what was right there in front of collective eyes ever since Paul Hoch in the 1990s brought to light the previously-classified FBI document telling of it (and then some more FBI documents about it came to light).   

It must be considered that was the Tippit murder weapon, not Oswald's revolver.

It must be considered that was the smoking gun of this case, in this case literally.

Invisible to CT eyes for so long, even though in plain view. The Tippit murder weapon.

A weapon that was covered up and disappeared.

Although Judge Griffin suspected Craford was the Rosetta Stone to what Ruby was about, the Warren Commission had no knowledge of the paper-bag revolver and its significance which if pursued could have shown how right Judge Griffin was on that, if there had been then the knowledge that there is now of that paper-bag revolver's juxtaposition with the "strange behavior" of Ruby and Craford (and Senator) at 5 am that morning as Craford prepared his sudden departure from Dallas that morning.

There is an innocent explanation for Oswald carrying a .38 Special--self-defense, fear for his life. 

But what is the innocent explanation for someone tossing a .38 Special in the dead of night on a city street in a paper bag with an apple and an orange in it?

And why the coverup and disappearance of that paper-bag revolver?

Craford as Rosetta Stone may have been right. 

Disclosure: I am personally partial to Judge Griffin due to, by total accident, a close friend of my father in Akron, Ohio, long ago knew Judge Griffin of Cleveland from doing courtroom security and spoke well of Judge Griffin.

I received JFK, Oswald and Ruby: Politics, Prejudice, and Truth earlier today and have only read part of it. For any without or with the book, this three-part local newspaper's human interest feature interview of Judge Griffin at a time when he was writing the book is worth reading and shows a good man: https://columbusunderground.com/judge-griffin-and-the-man-who-killed-the-man-who-killed-kennedy-jb1/

Edited by Greg Doudna

Thought provoking read GD.

Lots of curiously interesting information I was never aware of.

Is there an official entry into the DPD records stating a car was discovered running with it's keys in the ignition ( but no driver ) in the alley way behind the Texas Theater as the police were swarming that area?

If so ...now THAT's suspicious.

Curtis Craford ... what can one say about that odd character?

Vagabond circus carny extraordinaire.

Right there with Ruby for weeks before and right through the JFKA and then his ridiculously explained getting the hell out of Dodge run to the nearest freeway on-ramp with only $7.50 from the Carousel till, one bag and a light coat to begin his 1,250 mile hitchhiking journey to his sister's house in Michigan in the freezing cold upper Midwest late fall weather?

Burt Griffin and everyone else on the Warren Commission had no choice but to consider Craford and his preposterous hitchhiking story with extreme suspicion.

If you read Craford's Warren Commission account of his spur of the moment impulsive no notice run away from his job at the Carousel and Jack Ruby and his amazingly colorful hitchhiking tale with obviously made up characters who supposedly picked him up and befriended him along the way you can't help but laugh at the ballsy brazenness of it all.

With no bathing or changing of clothes for 3 days and sweatingly walking miles at times in the day and night along country roads in the middle of nowhere between ride pick-ups...Craford must have looked and smelled like h*** when he finally arrived at his sister's house near the Canadian border and greeted her with his toothless grin.

She must have thought...oh boy...look what the cat dragged in.

My wandering, toothless brother. Road dust dirty, stinky ... and broke as usual.

Come on in Curtis. I'll make you some coffee and a piece of pie while you get yourself a bath so we can talk without gaggin'.

Craford may not have been a "Rosetta Stone" in the case...but he was surely more than just a dumb as a rock simpleton in it ... imo anyways.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Well written Joe. I love that line: "I'll make you some coffee and a piece of pie while you get yourself a bath so we can talk without gaggin'". (You're a writer, some lines remind me of Dylan.) That was Craford's story, sudden decision to leave Dallas (after someone in a car just like him ditched a handgun on a city street in the middle of the night of the kind used to kill officer Tippit), supposedly sudden decision, starting out on practically no sleep, hitchhiking to Michigan with $7 in his pocket. That was his story. 

On the money part, what else was he going to say. Everything he received from Ruby was under-the-table, not reported for taxes. According to Laura Kittrell at the Texas Employment Commission, he was gaming the system getting unemployment benefits as an unemployed Teamsters union member even while not having a driver's license. When Laura Kittrell asked him about that she says he thought the question was hilarious. Anyone getting unemployment benefits is not going to admit being employed and paid in cash at the same time. But that doesn't mean Ruby didn't pay him. It just means he was paid in cash and there was no record of what Ruby paid him.

~ ~ ~

Judge Griffin writes in his book, referring to Craford and his Warren Commission testimony: 

"He died on April 19, 2011, at age seventy without writing a book or telling a different story to other investigators. I suspected that after nearly forty-eight years of silence, he was not withholding anything of importance." 

In terms of a confession of involvement in killing anyone in Dallas on Nov 22, 1963 or that he had knowledge of who did, that is true. But Craford did say some things later of interest that he never told the Warren Commission (if he was telling the truth later). This information was obtained largely due to the work of Canadian researcher Peter Whitmey, who contacted Craford decades later in Oregon (https://www.jfk-assassination.net/creatingapatsy.htm). (I see on p. 324 Judge Griffin notes Whitmey's article in his book.)

Here are some items from Whitmey's article.

• "it is more likely that Jarnagin confused Oswald with Larry Crafard (who reverted to his real name 'Curtis Laverne Craford' in 1964), who had begun working in the Carousel Club in early October, 1963, after meeting Ruby at the Texas State Fair. He also stayed briefly at the YMCA upon arriving in Dallas, folllowing a trip to Memphis, where he had been working in a carnival. Craford was attempting to relocate his first wife and young child, who were living in the Dallas area. He had also been in Dallas earlier, and possibly met Ruby at that time."
  • "He revealed to me that he had been a 'hit man' in the early sixties in San Franciso, prior to going to Dallas. While living there he got involved with the granddaughter of the local 'Don' ..."
  • "[H]e claimed to have been selected for several covert operations as a demolition expert [while in the Army in Germany], which took him over the Berlin Wall as well as into southeast Asia ... Craford was vague about whom he was working for, but emphasized to me that there would be no written records related to his covert operations."
  • "He also claimed to have been a crack shot while in the Army, and still had a keen interest in weapons, proudly showing me two high-powered revolvers that he owned".
  • "[I]n a Griffin/Hubert memo written in March, 1964, they stated that Craford 'closely resembles Oswald.' In the letter I received from the Crafords in 1989, Curtis denied ever pretending to be Oswald, however."
  • "[W]hen I met Craford, I was surprised, after seeing photos of him published in the Warren volumes, that he was noticeably shorter than I expected. Since I am 5'8-1/2" tall, Craford was definitely no taller than 5'7", even with a cowboy hat and boots on”.
  • "During Craford's testimony at Ruby's trial, in March 1964, he did not even mention the argument with Ruby as the reason he abruptly left town, stating instead that 'When I get ready to go someplace, I go. I was ready to go, so I left.'"
  • "Although Craford was interviewed at length by Griffin and Hubert in Washington, D.C. for the Warren Commission, which took three days and takes up over two hundred pages in the Warren volumes, Judge Griffin continued to be bothered by Craford's abrupt departure from Dallas on Nov. 23 in coming years. In an interview conducted by the HSCA in Nov. 1978, he stated that 'one of the most important issues we never resolved ... is why Larry Crafard split town like he did.' He went on to state that he had 'always been bothered by that very much, the whole circumstance of it. And I heard you haven't been able to locate Craford.'"
  • "It is difficult to understand why the HSCA were unable to contact Craford [the HSCA never did], as he had been gainfully employed for many years in Oregon in the security field, was married with several children, and had family members living in the area, all of whom had listed phone numbers."
  • "He initially [after leaving Dallas following the assassination] visited his aunt and uncle near Detroit (and their daughter, whom he seemed to have a crush on, suggested in a letter written to her from the Carousel Club). After revealing to them that he had worked for Ruby, whom he spoke positively about, Craford avoided discussing his time in Dallas, nor did he watch JFK's funeral, preferring to read comic books in the guestroom. He claimed during my interview that he didn't want to show his emotions to his relatives"
  • "The next day he headed to his sister's cabin for Thanksgiving, who didn't live too far from the Canadian border, possibly planning to leave the country had the FBI not tracked him down."
  • "He made no effort to contact the authorities in regard to having worked for Ruby, after learning about Oswald's murder while getting a ride to Chicago (where he told me he had visited someone associated with organized crime).
  • "Craford couldn't account for the elapsed time involved in travelling to Michigan."
  • "Craford quite willingly indicated that 'hightailing it' was an accurate description of his movements on November 23, 1963 (although he wouldn't elaborate). However, possibly fearing that he had said too much ... he later tried to convince me over the phone that I had misunderstood his comment."
  • "When Craford was interviewed by Griffin and Hubert, he gave the impression he hadn't been interested enough to watch JFK's motorcade, and had allegedly been asleep when bartender Andy Armstrong woke him up with the news of the assassination, which took place a few blocks away. It should be noted, however, that Armstrong had a lengthy criminal record..."
  • "During my interview with Craford, he did indicate that he was quite certain how JFK was shot, as though from first-hand knowledge. Unlike the Warren Commission, Craford believed one shot was fired from the storm drain, and another from the grassy knoll, one of which hit the president in the throat, exiting through the back of his head ... he seemed quite certain what had transpired, almost as though he had been there."
  • "After what Craford revealed to me about his background prior to going to Dallas, the possibility that he was involved in Tippit's murder immediately comes to mind."
  • "There is also the matter of a thin, light-coloured jacket found in a car lot, which had been allegedly discarded by Tippit's killer as he ran from the scene ... the jacket had two laundry tickets inside, one of which a patrolman in the area reported to the dispatcher as being 'B 9738' ... the FBI checked over 700 drycleaners in both the Dallas-Fort Worth and New Orleans areas without locating the business which had drycleaned it. Since the jacket was originally sold in California, maybe it actually belonged to Craford. As mentioned earlier, he had spent time in the San Francisco area prior to coming to Dallas, and apparently worked for a Berkeley company in the summer of 1960, so it is conceivable the jacket had been drycleaned there."
  • "Even though Ruby gave the impression he was upset over JFK'S death enough to close his nightclub for several days, there is clear evidence that he was also under pressure to kill Oswald, which led him to show up for Oswald's Nov 22 midnight press conference, posing as a reporter. This might also explain why he decided to close the club even though his competitors didn't, so he could concentrate on getting the job done ... The following evening, according to a Dallas police sergeant, he received a warning from a familiar voice that he could not match with a name and face, indicating that Oswald would be shot during his transfer to county jail the next morning. The police officer realized when Ruby was arrested that Jack had made the call, as he had spoken to Ruby in the past. The pressure on Ruby was likely mob-related, given the comments overheard by Jarnagin about 'the boys in Chicago'."
  • "[Bugliosi] concludes that various alleged sightings of Oswald in the company of Ruby were most likely based on the fact that Craford, according to Bugliosi, 'definitely resembled Oswald.' In his opinion, these were actually incidents involving Craford and Ruby."
  • "Based on Craford's comments to both author Joan Mellen and myself, it is clear that he is holding back information that should have been divulged to either the FBI or Warren Commission. Both Burt Griffin and the late Leon Hubert were not satisfied with Craford's response to many of their questions either."
  • "One aspect of their [Griffin and Hubert's] 'interrogation' involved Craford's trip to Michigan, which allegedly included several car rides. Although he claimed [in his WC testimony] his trip didn't involve any stopovers, he could not account for eighteen hours between the time he left on November 23 and when he arrived at his sister's cabin on November 25. However, when I interviewed Craford in Dec. 2001, he revealed that he had stopped to visit someone in Chicago, which supposedly is when he heard on the radio that Ruby had killed Oswald."
  • "He also claimed to have met Charles R. Isaacs, the American Airlines employee, whose name, place of employment and Dallas phone number (as of 1961, but which was changed twice, although at the same address) were listed in Jack Ruby's notebook. In my opinion, Chuck Isaacs was probably the person referred to as 'Isaacs' in the Winnipeg Airport conversation overheard by the late Richard Giesbrecht on Feb. 13, 1964."

Note: I have made a first argument that there was an association of Charles R. "Chuck" Isaacs with Ruby and Craford at the Carousel Club in the story of James Estes, who was employed at the Carousel Club doing janitorial work in the summer of 1963. At the end of his life Estes contacted the FBI and said he had been told that medically he was going to die within months (which was true; that happened) and wanted to tell his untold story to the FBI. Estes said he had been hired to do janitorial work at the Carousel Club and paid in cash for his work by someone working for Ruby named "Chuck" whom he described, who has never otherwise been identified. I think that may have been Charles R. Isaacs, and that James Estes' 'Oswald" told in his story as someone he got to know at the Carousel Club (who Estes did not claim ever used the name "Oswald", but whose description matches Craford) was Craford (https://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/29006-decipherment-of-the-james-odell-estes-story-carousel-club-july-aug-1963/).

Craford telling Whitmey that he knew Chuck Isaacs is different from what Craford told the Warren Commission in his testimony, when asked about names in a notebook of Ruby:

Mr. CRAFARD. I don't remember that. Corrigan, doesn't mean anything to me. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. Chuck Isaacs? 
Mr. CRAFARD. It doesn't mean anything to me. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. I can't read this. 
Mr. CRAFARD. Davis Kitter--something. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. Kitter something or other. 
Mr. CRAFARD. It looks like. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. But you don't recognize that? 
Mr. CRAFARD. No.  

Edited by Greg Doudna

On 7/1/2023 at 4:50 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Is there an official entry into the DPD records stating a car was discovered running with it's keys in the ignition ( but no driver ) in the alley way behind the Texas Theater as the police were swarming that area?

If so ...now THAT's suspicious.

Yes.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=217804#relPageId=104

(Dec 3, 1963 report of Dallas Police officer H.H. Stringer)

On 7/1/2023 at 12:49 AM, Greg Doudna said:

Ruby told the FBI the street address where the Tippit cruiser was when Tippit was killed, as the street address of his dancer (and friend of Craford) Joy Dale [Joyce McDonald], even though that was not her address.

Calling major BS, cite the doc Greg. 

7 minutes ago, Steve Roe said:

Calling major BS, cite the doc Greg. 

Here it is

img_233721_36_300.png 

That's from an FBI report of interview of Ruby, Nov 24, 1963, showing the address where the Tippit patrol car was (https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1137#relPageId=60). The "1/2" means at 410 but upstairs. Tippit's car was between 406 and 410 E. 10th St., with the front of the patrol car where Tippit was about to walk around when shot, being in front of 410 E 10th. No evidence Joyce McDonald and her child lived where Tippit was shot (or at 410 W. 10th either).

Here is Joyce McDonald's correct residence address: 424-1/2 W. 10th St. Apt. #3, from an FBI report dated Dec. 5, 1963.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10756#relPageId=537 and https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10489#relPageId=555.

I viewed Mary Dowling's interview on You Tube.

Mary Dowling was a waitress at "Dobbs House" restaurant in Oak Cliff during 1962 thru 1963.

She worked alongside another Dobbs House waitress Mrs. Johnnie Maxie Witherspoon who admitted having a 2 year long affair with Officer J.D. Tippit.

In that interview it was mentioned that Mrs. Witherspoon lived on the same street that J.D. Tippit was murdered on.

Edited by Joe Bauer

13 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

Here it is

img_233721_36_300.png 

That's from an FBI report of interview of Ruby, Nov 24, 1963, showing the address where the Tippit patrol car was (https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1137#relPageId=60). The "1/2" means at 410 but upstairs. Tippit's car was between 406 and 410 E. 10th St., with the front of the patrol car where Tippit was about to walk around when shot, being in front of 410 E 10th. No evidence Joyce McDonald and her child lived where Tippit was shot (or at 410 W. 10th either).

Here is Joyce McDonald's correct residence address: 424-1/2 W. 10th St. Apt. #3, from an FBI report dated Dec. 5, 1963.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10756#relPageId=537 and https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10489#relPageId=555.

Excellent, thank you Greg.