The Education Forum

Morley: Late on a Friday Night, Biden Guts the JFK Records Act

Late on a Friday Night, Biden Guts the JFK Records Act

Mary Ferrell Foundation challenges president's order in federal court.

JUL 1
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2651f285-5b04-4af0-90c9-6e545717fcaf_558x706.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLuci

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLuci

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FNote

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama  
Vice President Joe BIden speaks at the 50th anniversary of JFK’s inauguration in 2011. 

On June 30 President Biden issued an executive order asserting the 1992 JFK Assassination Records Act is no longer in effect.

“With my final certification made in this memorandum -– the last required under the Act – and definitive plans for future disclosures, my Administration is fulfilling the promise of transparency to the American people,” Biden declared, while acquiescing to demands of national security agencies that portions of thousands of assassination-related documents remain out of public view. 

“On May 1, 2023, the Acting Archivist informed me that the review process was complete,” Biden stated, "and recommended that I postpone the public release of certain redacted information in the records certified for temporary postponement of public release in the December 2022 Memorandum.”

Biden’s order spurns the recommendation of Judge John Tunheim, former chair of the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB), who urged the president to implement full disclosure of all JFK files without exception. 

Friday Night Lights Out

In a statement released late on Friday before a holiday weekend, a White House spokeswoman claimed “over 99 percent of the records in the [JFK assassination] collection are now publicly available at the National Archives,” without mentioning that “temporary postponement” means that several thousand assassination-related record remain fully or partially classified indefinitely. They include records on: 

Biden, who voted for the JFK Records Act in 1992, accepted the intelligence community’s claim that disclosure of these forty, fifty, and sixty year old documents will harm the United States in 2023. He stated:

“continued postponement of public disclosure of that information is necessary to protect against identifiable harms to the military defense, intelligence operations, law  enforcement, and the conduct of foreign relations that are of such gravity that they outweigh the public interest in disclosure.”

Under the president’s order all decisions about the “future release of the information in these records shall occur in a manner consistent with the Transparency Plans described in section 5 of this memorandum.”

The Transparency Plan, written by the CIA, establishes the criteria for the National Security Agency to use in withholding sensitive material. Chad Nagle of the American Conservative has described the Transparency Plan as “sinister,” arguing it will actually keep thousands of assassination records secret for far longer than Congress intended.

Biden’s order turns over responsibility for JFK files to the National Declassification Center, an executive branch agency responsible for “public release of historically valuable permanent records while maintaining national security.” The president directed the NDC to 

use the Transparency Plans to conduct future reviews of any information covered by the Act that has been postponed from public disclosure. The Transparency Plans will ensure that the public will have access to the maximum amount of information while continuing to protect against identifiable harms to the military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, and the conduct of foreign relations under the standards of the Act.”

The “identifiable harms” of releasing these ancient documents offered by the CIA and other agencies involve broad claims of national security that have been historically overstated or abused to justify unwarranted secrecy.

Lawsuit Challenges Biden

Bill Simpich  
Bill SImpich, attorney for Mary Ferrell Foundation.

The Mary Farrell Foundation, which sued the president and National Archives last fall for failure to enforce the JFK Records Act, will be in federal court on July 13 seeking an injunction to block the Biden order.

The foundation’s attorneys, Bill Simpich and Larry Schnapf, have asserted in court filings that the Transparency Plans and the President’s prior executive order fail to comply with the JFK Records Act. 

On June 8, the foundation filed a motion for injunctive relief seeking an order to declare the Transparency Plans as void and null, and to enjoin the president’s order. 

The foundation has also asked the court to order the National Archives to complete the search of additional assassination records that were outstanding at the time the ARRB ceased operations in September 1998. 

[For more information about the lawsuit, visit the foundation’s JFK Record Lawsuit page, or contact Mary Ferrell Foundation vice president Jefferson Morley. 

---30---

But CNN says it was all cool. 

You can't make this stuff up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biden continues to show a bust of RFK in his talks from the Oval Room.  I have to wonder if he is stonewalling release of the rest of the JFK documents because they contain information about RFK that he does not want released to the public...

Have we discussed Morley's article on Bob Dylan's Murder Most Foul?  It fits right in to this discussion...

https://lithub.com/what-bob-dylan-does-or-doesnt-know-about-the-assassination-of-jfk/

On 7/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, Pamela Brown said:

Biden continues to show a bust of RFK in his talks from the Oval Room.  I have to wonder if he is stonewalling release of the rest of the JFK documents because they contain information about RFK that he does not want released to the public...

Joe Biden is the type who would eschew and disown his own grand-daughter for reasons of political expediency.

I think we can rule out Biden having concern for RFK Jr., a man who wants to boot the President out of the  Oval Office. 

19 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Joe Biden is the type who would eschew and disown his own grand-daughter for reasons of political expediency.

I think we can rule out Biden having concern for RFK Jr., a man who wants to boot the President out of the  Oval Office. 

I'm referencing Biden's protecting RFK, not RFK Jr.  

4 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

I'm referencing Biden's protecting RFK, not RFK Jr.  

Biden, by his snuff job on the JFK Records, is only acting as a kept creature of the security state, and little more. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

8 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Biden, by his snuff job on the JFK Records, is only acting as a kept creature of the security state, and little more. 

I think there is something else going on...

I guess time will tell...

1 hour ago, Pamela Brown said:

A lot of the files being withheld have to do with Lee Oswald. One possibility is that there may be evidence that RFK was directly involved in monitoring Lee Oswald's activities...

Another example is Pres. Obama appointing Caroline Kennedy Ambassador to Japan by 2013 so she would have reason to be out of the country during the 50th frenzy...Pres. Obama also refused to release the remaining files...

Ironically (which I suspected from LBJ's treatment of Jackie after the JFK assassination) the deal might be that 'we will protect the Kennedy name, library, et, to the extent of withholding documents that might forever damage the family's reputation, as long as none of you seek after high office ever again''.  If that is the case, it will be especially interesting to see if and how RFK Jr. manages to, hopefully, make his way out of this quagmire...

Edited by Pamela Brown

2 hours ago, Marjan Rynkiewicz said:

I have already told. Hickey shot jfk.

MR-

But what is in the JFK Records that is being suppressed that you think is the truth about the JFKA?

Don't you rather suspect it is info about the LHO and CIA that is being suppressed? Or where certain Cuban exiles, or possibly E Howard Hunt, were on Nov. 22? 

33 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

MR-

But what is in the JFK Records that is being suppressed that you think is the truth about the JFKA?

Don't you rather suspect it is info about the LHO and CIA that is being suppressed? Or where certain Cuban exiles, or possibly E Howard Hunt, were on Nov. 22? 

Shooting Tippit makes sense only if Oswald had a gold plated getaway plan. But i dont know much about conspiracy theories.

I am thinking that there might be zero in the jfk records re Hickey & the AR15.

What are the jfk records?  Is it a big room? How does any document end up there?

SSA Floyd examined the AR15 the (i think) day after, & said that it had not been fired. Did he put that in writing? If so, where is that doc? And other such SS docs re that AR15? Do any of the docs already released refer to the AR15 ? (apart from already known pre-existing mentions during the WC). 

Did any of the investigations in later years mention the AR15?

Biden succumbed to the Transparency Plan as written by the CIA.

In the same week he appointed a Neocon nut, Elliot Abrams.

Look up the El Mozote massacre.

Several US Presidents over the years have promised transparency regarding the JFK records. But once elected, their positions changed.

Which begs the question: what changed their position? CIA arguments? Pressure? Threats?

If so, where's the guarantee that RFK Jr. wouldn't also succumb to such tactics if elected? I fail to see any such guarantee. After all, "they" [whomever "they" might be] have already killed more than one Kennedy; to "them," what's one more?

Until there's a bulletproof Kennedy, my opinion on this won't change.

10 hours ago, Mark Knight said:

Several US Presidents over the years have promised transparency regarding the JFK records. But once elected, their positions changed.

Which begs the question: what changed their position? CIA arguments? Pressure? Threats?

If so, where's the guarantee that RFK Jr. wouldn't also succumb to such tactics if elected? I fail to see any such guarantee. After all, "they" [whomever "they" might be] have already killed more than one Kennedy; to "them," what's one more?

Until there's a bulletproof Kennedy, my opinion on this won't change.

I agree. There seems to be some sort of deal that each Pres has to agree to...