The Education Forum

ANGLETON And The COWBOY

@Mike Chesser located this to indicate the Cowboy is Meir Amit as per Ambassador Dermer's FB post:. 

#28 James Angleton served in the CIA for over 30 years and maintained the rank of counter-intelligence chief for more than two decades. One of his most enduring legacies is the intelligence cooperation between the United States and Israel.

James Angleton (1917 - 1987)

James Jesus Angleton, was born in 1917 in Boise, Idaho, and served in the CIA for over thirty years, since its inception in 1947. Maintaining the rank of counter-intelligence chief for more than two decades, Angleton was a widely respected figure in the world intelligence community. He was known particularly for his efforts to uncover Russian espionage and for preventing what he believed to be of utmost concern – infiltration of the CIA by Soviet intelligence agents at the hands of the KGB. However, one of Angleton’s indelible legacies is the intelligence cooperation between the United States and Israel.

Angleton’s connection with Israel began early in his career, when he was given the responsibility to lead the CIA’s secret relationship with the Mossad and Shin Bet, Israel’s main intelligence agencies. This fledgling relationship proved to be fruitful for both nations. The first major exchange paved the way for decades of intelligence sharing. In 1956, Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev gave a shocking speech to the twentieth Soviet Communist Party Congress, in which he delivered a scathing criticism of Josef Stalin and revealed details of the dictator’s gruesome crimes. This top-secret text was highly guarded and shared only with leaders of the Eastern Bloc. However, a Polish-Jewish journalist fortuitously obtained a copy from his girlfriend, a secretary for the Polish Communist Party. Having recently decided to move to Israel, the journalist offered the document to an intelligence officer at the Israeli Embassy in Warsaw. As a result of Angleton’s fostered relationship, Israeli intelligence immediately delivered the coveted text to the CIA, greatly helping the US at a critical time in the Cold War. 

This incident reinforced Angleton’s belief that maintaining a powerful and trusting relationship with his Israeli counterparts was critical for achieving America’s strategic goals. Angleton continued to cultivate close ties with Israel over his career, a relationship that resulted in combatting Soviet infiltration, countering terrorism, and planning covert operations around the world. In 1978, George F. Keegan, the former chief of U.S. Air Force Intelligence, declared that the American military “…owes more to the Israeli intelligence input than it does to any other single source of intelligence.” The extraordinary alliance between America and Israel is tightly bound to intelligence sharing, for which the foundations were laid by the tireless efforts of James Angleton. His death was marked in Jerusalem in 1987, by a secret tree-planting ceremony and memorial stone dedication. Attended by the highest-ranking members of the Israeli intelligence establishment, this special event was a testament to James Angleton’s unique contribution to the Jewish state. 

In the picture- James Angelton and the Director of the Mossad, Meir Amit.
Edited by Leslie Sharp

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Leslie Sharp said:

In the picture- James Angelton and the Director of the Mossad, Meir Amit.

Well, that make sense, Angleton was the commander of the Israeli Desk in CIA for thirty years.

I guess we can close down this thread.

Brilliant gumshoeing, Leslie, as per usual!   

1 minute ago, Robert Montenegro said:

Well, that make sense, Angleton was the commander of the Israeli Desk in CIA for thirty years.

I guess we can close down this thread.

Brilliant gumshoeing, Leslie, as per usual!   

I'm not convinced!  lololol.

I sent the link to our friend in Haifi who had already seen the photo and never once suggested it was Amit, and he served in intel for his required stint.

Amit's features are far more chiseled, his ears are pointy, and from photos I've seen he would have been much shorter than JJA.

Beating this horse to shoe leather, WHAT was he doing in the Southwest ... and "rent a costume" was not an option in the early '60s.

When those questions are answered, the thread will be QED. 

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

So, in other words, there's nothing mysterious or out of the ordinary about this photo. Moving on...

Are you joking?  There's nothing mysterious about the head of Mossad, dressed in western gear, photographed with Angleton in the early 1960s in a locale likely to be the Arizona border?

You are welcome to move right along, @Jonathan Cohen, while the adults pursue the investigation.

7 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

I'm not convinced!  lololol.

I mean, you know what I think.

I think it's COL. Askins and they're both chuckling to themselves about about how well things went in Dallas.

Just now, Robert Montenegro said:

I mean, you know what I think.

I think it's COL. Askins and they're both chuckling to themselves about about how well things went in Dallas.

OR, discussing border crossing!

8 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

OR, discussing border crossing!

James Hugh Angleton, James Jesus Angleton's father, was a United States Army intelligence field agent posted to the US-Mexico border, serving with brand-new 2nd Lt. Adolph Karl Weidenbach (later, he changed his name to Charles Andrew Willoughby) in the Pershing Expedition.

In fact, "Hugh" Angleton met James' mother while serving in Mexico in 1916.

Edited by Robert Montenegro

24 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Are you joking?  There's nothing mysterious about the head of Mossad, dressed in western gear, photographed with Angleton in the early 1960s in a locale likely to be the Arizona border?

No, there's nothing mysterious about it at all, considering Angleton's longtime close relationships with Israeli government officials, particularly those in intelligence circles. It's all spelled out quite clearly in Jefferson Morley's Angleton biography "The Ghost."

Edited by Jonathan Cohen

29 minutes ago, Robert Montenegro said:

James Hugh Angleton, James Jesus Angleton's father, was a United States Army intelligence field agent posted to the US-Mexico border, serving with brand-new 2nd Lt. Adolph Karl Weidenbach (later, he changed his name to Charles Andrew Willoughby) in the Pershing Expedition.

In fact, "Hugh" Angleton met James' mother while serving in Mexico in 1916.

Willoughby's second or third wife was Hispanic from San Antonio. Askins retired in significant comfort in SA.

Viewing this dynamic through the Industrial leg of the Military-Industrial Complex, I think the relevant connection in that photo might be James' wife Cicely Angleton, native of Arizona.  Her father was in mining, and the company was sold to Phelps Dodge whose long time directors included Lewis Douglas, who sat on the board of American Express with Gen. Lucius Clay who was replaced by John Jay McCloy in Germany, and McCloy was Douglas's brother in law via their wives whose cousin was married to Chancellor Konrad Adenauer.  Can't get any more incestuous.  And Nicholas Kazenbach, author of the infamous memo following the assassination, married into the Phelps dynasty.  Gotta keep it close and mutually rewarding.

As a sidenote, Hugh Angleton was an executive of NCR; my uncle by marriage was a senior exec of NCR based in Middlebury VT (not far from Burlington) in the 1970s.  Opportunities lost.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

1 hour ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

No, there's nothing mysterious about it at all, considering Angleton's longtime close relationships with Israeli government officials, particularly those in intelligence circles. It's all spelled out quite clearly in Jefferson Morley's Angleton biography "The Ghost."

I'm perfectly aware of the history and close relationship Angleton enjoyed with the Israelis.  

Unlike Morley, we reveal that Angleton played a direct role in planning for the assassination in Dallas. 

The relevance of this particular photo is the setting — Southwestern US — the cowboy gear, and the timing.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

38 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

I'm perfectly aware of the history and close relationship Angleton enjoyed with the Israelis.  

Unlike Morley, we reveal that Angleton played a direct role in planning for the assassination in Dallas. 

The relevance of this particular photo is the setting — Southwestern US — the cowboy gear, and the timing.

Unless the photo was taken shortly before or immediately after the assassination and can provably be shown to have been taken in or around Dallas, what possible relevance could it have?

Edited by Jonathan Cohen

28 minutes ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

Unless the photo was taken shortly before or immediately after the assassination and can provably be shown to have been taken in or around Dallas, what possible relevance could it have?

You're obviously not a trained detective, are you?

Even amateurs recognize the possible relevance that the Mossad chief might have been in the US, and in Arizona (in case you haven't followed the discussion closely) with the head of counter-intelligence. The timing is important, obviously. The Galaxy Strarliner is 1960 model; the year on the plate is illegible so the photo could have been taken anytime after late 1959.

Lafitte does not leave the slightest clue Skorzeny was conferring with the Mossad in 1963 about his strategy for the assassination in Dallas. We rejected the wild theories fueled by bias that "The Jews Killed Kennedy" for what they were — baseless — and in no fashion am I inferring Israeli involvement in the Dallas plot.  

It is possible however, that in order to assure stability in the region, Angleton felt it was imperative to alert Mossad that something might be in the works.

It's also reasonable to consider the photo is purely benign: that Amit and Angleton, and their wives, were good friends and the Angleton's invited them for a visit to Arizona.  What is striking however, is the authenticity of the cowboy's attire.  It is as if he had determined to move about in disguise.  Reasonable consideration.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

@Robert Montenegro Meir Amit was studying at Columbia University 1959-1961 following a parachuting accident in 1958.

July 20, 2009 — Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center

General (Ret.) Meir Amit, Commander, Leader and Friend Passed Away

When the kibbutz movement split, Amit left his kibbutz and went into long-term service in the regular army. In 1953 he served as head of the Operations Division in the IDF General Headquarters. In 1955 and 1956 he was head of the Southern Command and again head of the Operations Division of the General Staff . He participated in planning the Sinai Campaign in 1956.

In 1958 he was appointed head of the Central Command. At about the same time he was seriously injured in a parachuting accident and was hospitalized for more than a year. As part of his rehabilitation he received studied business administration at Columbia University (1959-61).

When he returned from the United States in the summer of 1961, Chief of Staff Tsvi Tsur asked him to accept command of military intelligence. He was appointed to the office in early 1962, the first time the post was filled by someone from the army and not from within intelligence. As head of military intelligence he strengthened the collection units. In 1963 Ben-Gurion appointed him head of the Mossad, a position he held until 1968.  

Edited by Leslie Sharp