The Education Forum

New Evidence from WC Whistleblower (Former Aide to Senator Cooper)

In his new book Fighting for Justice (Post Hill Press, 2022), attorney Mark Shaw reveals new evidence provided by a Warren Commission whistleblower, Morris Wolff, who is a former White House aide and a former aide to WC member Senator John Sherman Cooper.

Wolff served as a White House aide to JFK and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy. Wolff said he relayed messages between the Kennedy brothers because they feared that J. Edgar Hoover was tapping their phones. A short time later, Wolff became a legislative assistant to Senator Cooper.

Wolff has reported to Shaw that Senator Cooper told him that he did not believe that Oswald acted alone, that he did not believe the single-bullet theory, that there was corruption in the WC, that they knew about Jack Ruby and organized crime but did not care, and that true believers on the Commission said they were acting for “God and country”:

Wolff then trusted me with a secret: that Senator Cooper, who called himself a “maverick” politician and was what Wolff called a “man of the truth,” became “very skeptical of the slipshod job being done by the commission staff and its rush to judgment” regarding the final report issued. Further, Wolff disclosed that Cooper, a staunch civil-rights activist despite being a Republican senator from the conservative state of Kentucky, uttered strong words during the times Wolff actually rode with him in the senator’s car to the hearings. Those words included “[the Commission] doesn’t get it, it’s more than Oswald, but Warren [Chief Justice Earl Warren] keeps pushing the Oswald-alone idea.” (pp. 350-351)

Wolff recalled the senator telling him, “There’s something very wrong going on with the Commission.”

Among the other recollections Wolff divulged to this author were that Cooper told him, “My own views are different than the Report conclusion.” The senator then added, “They say this [Oswald alone business] is good for God and the country, but there is internal corruption, and I don’t know why.” Cooper also told Wolff, “They [the Commission] knew about the Ruby connection to organized crime, but they don’t want to touch it but instead stick to the single bullet theory.” (pp. 351-352).

So this makes three WC members who did not buy the Commission's key conclusions. One of the two others was Senator Richard Russell:

With these points before him, Richard Russell forced a final Executive Session of the Warren Commission. His main agenda was to present his prepared dissent and to refuse to sign the Commission Report unless his dissent was included. After presenting his concerns, Russell was joined in his dissent by Senator John Sherman Cooper and to a lesser extent Representative Boggs. In an oral history conducted late in his life, Senator Cooper recalled that Russell’s well-reasoned opinions “had great influence” on Cooper’s own conclusions. Like Russell, Cooper was impressed by the strong and compelling testimony of Governor Connally and thus was willing to follow Russell’s lead in rejecting the “single bullet” theory. (Dani Biancolli, The First Dissenter: Richard B. Russell and the Warren Commission, Master of Arts thesis, 2002, William and Mary University, https://scholarworks.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5464&context=etd)

And:

In his final television interview, Russell stated that he “never believed that Oswald planned that altogether by himself. There were too many things, the fact when he was at Minsk, and that was the principal center for educating Cuban students. There were 600 or 700 there. He was very close to some of them and the trip that he made to Mexico City and a number of discrepancies in the evidence as to, or conflicts in the evidence as to his means of transportation, the luggage he had, and whether or not anyone was with him, caused me to have doubts that he planned it all by himself. I think someone else worked with him.” (The First Dissenter, https://scholarworks.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5464&context=etd)

Hale Boggs was the third WC member who had doubts about the Commission's conclusions. 

As of a few months ago, Wolff, an octogenarian, was still alive but in poor health.

Edited by Michael Griffith

49 minutes ago, Cory Santos said:

Thanks but what was the actual evidence?

Uh, the statements that Morris Wolff has revealed that WC member Cooper made to him regarding the WC investigation. 

WC apologists have long said that "someone would have talked," but then they turn around and look for any excuse to reject the accounts given by insiders who have "talked." 

6 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

And:

In his final television interview, Russell stated that he “never believed that Oswald planned that altogether by himself. There were too many things, the fact when he was at Minsk, and that was the principal center for educating Cuban students. There were 600 or 700 there. He was very close to some of them and the trip that he made to Mexico City and a number of discrepancies in the evidence as to, or conflicts in the evidence as to his means of transportation, the luggage he had, and whether or not anyone was with him, caused me to have doubts that he planned it all by himself. I think someone else worked with him.” (The First Dissenter, https://scholarworks.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5464&context=etd)

This is interesting. He is leaving out the most interesting thing about Mexico City. And that is that Slawson and Coleman listened to the tape of "Oswald" in Mexico City, must have realized it was not Oswald, then reported back to their superior who i presume was J. Lee Rankin. By the looks of this, J. Lee Rankin must have told Earl Warren in private about having listened to the Mexico City tape of "Oswald" but did not tall any other of the other Warren Commission members about it (at least not Russell and Cooper by the looks of things). 

From this, it would appear Rankin knew Warren was running a one-man-shop and any dodgy information coming through from his subordinates, such as the "Oswald" Mexico City tape should flow direct to Warren and away from the other Commission members. 

Cooper…”there is internal corruption and I don’t know why”.  

An Akin Gump lawyer when questioned about  the JFKA  back in about 2002, asked if I knew who was Thomas Dewey’s running mate in 1948. Answer Earl Warren, in an election campaign featuring the Dulles brothers as heirs apparent to Dean Acheson, George Marshall and other FDR holdovers. 

Take it for what it’s worth…

Thanks for this post. 

I think the WC was formed with the idea that the three Southerners---Boggs, Cooper and Russell---would go along due to misplaced patriotism, political expediency, non-allegiance to JFK, and allegiance to fellow Southerner and Democrat LBJ (and having busy schedules themselves).

To their credit, Boggs, Cooper and Russell did not buy the WC report. Perhaps the trio should have militated more against the report, or publicly demand the right, pre-publication, of presenting a dissent, en banc, so to speak. 

Likely, Dulles did not believe the WC report either, and Ford actively manipulated evidence (the location of the shot in JFK's back). 

One wonders of the seven commissioners, did any truly believe the SBT. 

13 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

Uh, the statements that Morris Wolff has revealed that WC member Cooper made to him regarding the WC investigation. 

WC apologists have long said that "someone would have talked," but then they turn around and look for any excuse to reject the accounts given by insiders who have "talked." 

It would have been more valuable as coming directly from Sen.  Cooper and not another party.  I understand what you are getting at but it will not quiet a wc person because they will say it is repeated by someone else.  

On 7/23/2023 at 4:20 AM, Cory Santos said:

It would have been more valuable as coming directly from Sen.  Cooper and not another party.  I understand what you are getting at but it will not quiet a wc person because they will say it is repeated by someone else.  

Oh, I know. WC apologists readily accept second-hand/hearsay statements that support their case, but they look for any reason to reject hearsay statements that contradict their case. 

We can put it this way: If a long-time associate of Lee Harvey Oswald were to report that when he visited Oswald in jail, Oswald confessed to him that he shot JFK and Tippit, and if it were confirmed that this person was a long-time Oswald associate and did visit Oswald in jail, you can bet that WC apologists would be trumpeting this hearsay statement far and wide. 

6 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

Oh, I know. WC apologists readily accept second-hand/hearsay statements that support their case, but they look for any reason to reject hearsay statements that contradict their case. 

We can put it this way: If a long-time associate of Lee Harvey Oswald were to report that when he visited Oswald in jail, Oswald confessed to him that he shot JFK and Tippit, and if it were confirmed that this person was a long-time Oswald associate and did visit Oswald in jail, you can bet that WC apologists would be trumpeting this hearsay statement far and wide. 

Fair point.  

My assessment is that the American people really never understood how much the FBI controlled the WC and their investigation.

I remember listening to a radio interview of Dallas FBI agent James Hosty years ago where he was promoting his newly published book "Assignment Oswald."

At one point he just casually remarked that we ( the FBI ) had three of them."

What?  You had 3 of them?

Meaning 3 members of the Commission were reporting to them and one assumes keeping the FBI informed of the inner workings and whatever else was needed to keep their control.

So much for an independent, impartial with no outside influence panel.

The interviewer either purposely or stupidly immediately changed the subject without asking the big question of Hosty ... who were the three members?

I slammed my hand down at that one.

Hosty laughed when he was asked years after his WC testimony why he didn't tell the Commission about his Boss "Gordon Shanklin " ordering him to destroy Oswald's file right after Oswald was shot and killed. Hosty chuckled and smugly muttered "they didn't ask!"

They didn't ask?  Why you boob!

Could you imagine the uproar if Hosty had kept his testimony oath to ..."tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - so help me God" and told the Commission of his and his employer destroying mind blowing important evidence like that?

Hosty's loyalty to his employer and his pension overruled his oath to the American people and the only chance for them to know the whole truth about the JFKA.

The New Orleans FBI and Regis Kennedy were derailing Jim Garrison's investigation into Oswald and Bannister and Ferrie and Shaw in so many ways. So much for the FBI's integrity in that theater.

To this day 60 years later it is still outrageously preposterous to consider LBJ and Hoover coming up with such a laughably compromised panel for the WC.

JFK hater Allen Dulles. Dulles loyalist and eastern establishment banker John McCloy. Tired and intimidated Earl Warren. Hoover loyalist and lead FBI informant man Gerald Ford. Three Southern state reps. No true JFK loyalists at all.

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOADEI4CSFXyq4

Edited by Joe Bauer

Major media entities stopped doing national JFKA polls years ago but with the 60th anniversary coming up this November 22nd, I would think someone might try a new one.

Do you believe the official government finding that JFK was killed by a lone gunman and there was no conspiracy involved?

It would not surprise me if the most common response would not be a yes or no...but rather a "I don't know."

After 3 generations and massive immigration population growth...the majority of Americans are simply too removed from the historical event now to have an opinion...or even care about the truth mission. IMO anyways.