The Education Forum

Oswalds Magic Library Book

@Steve Roe @Gerry Down

Re: Oswald, leaflets and the USS Wasp...

Commission Exhibit 1412...

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1412.pdf

"In a letter to Mr. V.T. Lee, then National Director of the Fair Play For Cuba Committee, Oswald said that "we also managed to picket the fleet when it came in and I was surprised at the number of officers which were interested in our leaflets".

Edited by Bill Brown

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

Thanks. I hadn't realised this story about the Wasp. So the Wasp had some notoriety regarding the blockade. Any idea what the papers were saying about it? 

There were several newspaper articles in the Picayune and States-Item. They mentioned how long the fleet was going to be berthed and it was open to the public to view. There were a few pictures of the fleet and aboard the carrier. One of the articles did mention the Wasp fleet was involved in the Cuban blockade. Harbor patrol ran Oswald off. 

15 minutes ago, Steve Roe said:

There were several newspaper articles in the Picayune and States-Item. They mentioned how long the fleet was going to be berthed and it was open to the public to view. There were a few pictures of the fleet and aboard the carrier. One of the articles did mention the Wasp fleet was involved in the Cuban blockade. Harbor patrol ran Oswald off. 

I always suspected the Trade Mart leafleting was related to the trade embargo with Cuba but hadn't realized the Wasp incident followed the same line of reasoning. 

On 9/2/2023 at 7:34 PM, Gerry Down said:

I think an old JFK researcher named John Newman, not the John Newman of "Oswald and the CIA" fame, found this book. I forget the story now but think it turned up in the Oak Cliff library or something.

Albert Newman, not John Newman.