The Education Forum

Oswalds Magic Library Book

Oswald arrived in New Orleans on April 25th 1963. Despite being an avid reader, Oswald does not appear to have joined a library in New Orleans until he was issued a library card at the Napoleon branch of the New Orleans library on May 27th 1963.

IMAGE-1.png

LINK (page 1): https://historymatters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh25/pdf/WH25_CE_2650.pdf

However despite not getting a library card at the Napoleon branch until May 27th 1963, that same branch appears to have recorded Oswald as having taken out a book on May 22nd 1963 which was "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" by Robert Payne.

IMAGE-2.png

LINK (page 3): https://historymatters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh25/pdf/WH25_CE_2650.pdf

So we appear to have a magic library book on our hands. One which Oswald managed to check out 5 days before he was issued with his library card. There are two possible explanations for this which I can think of:

EXPLANATION #1

One possibility is that Oswald applied for his library card on May 22nd 1963 and was allowed to take a book out the same day even though his card would not be approved until 5 days later. This would appear to be a highly unusual occurrence but one which Priscilla McMillan Johnson seemed to think was what happened according to her book “Marina And Lee”. In that book she states quiet matter of factly “On May 22 he paid his first visit to the New Orleans Public Library, applied for a borrower’s card, and took out his first book. It was Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-tung, by the biographer Robert Payne”.

IMAGE-3.jpg

When we look at both the application form for the library card and the library card itself, the only date on them is May 27th. In other words there is no indication that Oswald applied for the card on May 22nd as Priscilla assumes:

IMAGE-4.png

LINKhttps://aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh17/html/WH_Vol17_0335b.htm
LINKhttps://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth339882/m1/1/?q=photographs of lee harvey oswald

In one FBI document it is noted, in relation to the library card application, that “The date of the application is not shown.”

IMAGE-5.png

LINK: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1317#relPageId=180&search=militello

This throwaway line at the end indirectly suggests that an application form for a library card could be different from the date it was issued. At least according to the FBI agent who wrote the above document. However it seems odd to me that a library would allow someone to take out a library book before actually issuing them a library card.

So is there a better explanation?

EXPLANATION #2

According to the Head Librarian of New Orleans, because of the way records were kept at the Main Library in New Orleans, there was no way to determine if LHO ever took books out of the Main Library or if he had had a card issued to him from there:

IMAGE-6.png

IMAGE-7.png

LINK (Page 1 & 2): https://historymatters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh25/pdf/WH25_CE_2650.pdf

It’s been a while since I have been a member of a library, so maybe people on here could help me out, but my interpretation of this is that one possibility is that Oswald possibly first joined the Main Library in New Orleans, located in the city center, when he arrived in New Orleans, took a few books out from there, and then on May 27th decided to change his library from the Main Library in the city center to the Napoleon library branch which was closer to his Magazine street address.

Library-5.png

Even though the Main Library was close to his place of work at the Reily Coffee Company, I’m guessing Oswald changed to the Napoleon Branch which was close to his apartment because it would provide him with some place to go in the evening time or on Saturdays to get out of the house from Marina and the kids, and he could simply walk to the Napoleon Branch for some “Oswald” time. No bus required.

In this scenario, what may have happened is that Oswald took "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" out of the Main Library (one of many books he may have taken out from there in May 1963) in the city center on May 22nd and then joined the Napoleon branch on May 27th where they issued him with a library card on that same date. I’m guessing that Oswald then returned "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" to the Napoleon branch rather than back to the Main Library where he first got it. Because Oswald returned the book to the Napoleon Branch, this is how this book got registered at the Napoleon branches record keeping system, even though it would appear he could not have taken it out from there on May 22nd as he was not issued with a card from the Napoleon Branch until May 27th.

There is no hint in Marina Oswalds, Ruth Paines, the Reily Coffee Company employees or the Murrets testimonies (including the book “Marina and Lee”) that Oswald was visiting any library or had any book in his possession on any date prior to joining the Napoleon Branch in late May 1963. Oswald lived with the Murrets from April 25th to May 9th 1963 when he found an apartment on Magazine street and it does not appear Oswald brought home any library books during his stay at the Murrets house:

Mr. JENNER - Well, before we get to that, while he was living with you, did he read while he was home at night?
Mrs. MURRET - Did he read?
Mr. JENNER - Yes.
Mrs. MURRET - No.
Mr. JENNER - He didn't read any books?
Mrs. MURRET - You see, he went out all day. He would get up and leave early in the morning. He wouldn't eat any breakfast. I would try to fix him an egg and bacon or something like that, but he didn't want anything to eat for breakfast and he wouldn't take a thing. We always eat a big breakfast in our family, but he wouldn't eat a thing. He would just get dressed and go out with his newspaper to look for a job, and come home in time for supper and then he would sit around a while and watch television and then go to bed, and he followed that same pattern all while he was with us, until he got this job with the Riley Coffee Co.

LINK: https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/testimony/murretl2.htm

Oswald appeared to be looking for jobs using newspapers that he bought and so was able to bring the newspaper home at night. This is as opposed to using free newspapers at a library which he would not be able to take home with him. The Reily coffee company job had been advertised in the newspaper which is how LHO got the job:

LINK: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1139#relPageId=766&search=Arturo_Rodriguez

This is as opposed to the Reily job being advertised on a pin board or something at a local library.

Therefore the only evidence I know of that LHO was visiting libraries, and taking out books, prior to him joining the Napoleon branch on May 27th is the subtle hint of the "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" book which was apparently checked out by Oswald on May 22nd. I am not overly familiar with the issuing of library cards but I would have imagined they are issued on the same day someone wants to join the library. And that a person could only take out a book once a library card is actually issued to that person. As a result, it would appear to be a possibility that Oswald was visiting a library and taking out books (the last one being "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung") from a library somewhere in New Orleans prior to joining the Napoleon branch on May 27th.

What do you think?

About a year and a half ago, I visited the Napoleon branch library with Steve Roe and Fred Litwin.  The librarian on duty asked the purpose of our visit (since we looked out of place).  I began to explain to her why we were there and it turns out that she was fully aware of the visits to that particular library branch by Lee Oswald during the summer of '63.

Interesting side note:  The librarian was Russian.

Now cue the Gil Jesus conspiracy angle....

8 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

Oswald arrived in New Orleans on April 25th 1963. Despite being an avid reader, Oswald does not appear to have joined a library in New Orleans until he was issued a library card at the Napoleon branch of the New Orleans library on May 27th 1963.

IMAGE-1.png

LINK (page 1): https://historymatters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh25/pdf/WH25_CE_2650.pdf

However despite not getting a library card at the Napoleon branch until May 27th 1963, that same branch appears to have recorded Oswald as having taken out a book on May 22nd 1963 which was "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" by Robert Payne.

IMAGE-2.png

LINK (page 3): https://historymatters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh25/pdf/WH25_CE_2650.pdf

So we appear to have a magic library book on our hands. One which Oswald managed to check out 5 days before he was issued with his library card. There are two possible explanations for this which I can think of:

EXPLANATION #1

One possibility is that Oswald applied for his library card on May 22nd 1963 and was allowed to take a book out the same day even though his card would not be approved until 5 days later. This would appear to be a highly unusual occurrence but one which Priscilla McMillan Johnson seemed to think was what happened according to her book “Marina And Lee”. In that book she states quiet matter of factly “On May 22 he paid his first visit to the New Orleans Public Library, applied for a borrower’s card, and took out his first book. It was Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-tung, by the biographer Robert Payne”.

IMAGE-3.jpg

When we look at both the application form for the library card and the library card itself, the only date on them is May 27th. In other words there is no indication that Oswald applied for the card on May 22nd as Priscilla assumes:

IMAGE-4.png

LINKhttps://aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh17/html/WH_Vol17_0335b.htm
LINKhttps://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth339882/m1/1/?q=photographs of lee harvey oswald

In one FBI document it is noted, in relation to the library card application, that “The date of the application is not shown.”

IMAGE-5.png

LINK: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1317#relPageId=180&search=militello

This throwaway line at the end indirectly suggests that an application form for a library card could be different from the date it was issued. At least according to the FBI agent who wrote the above document. However it seems odd to me that a library would allow someone to take out a library book before actually issuing them a library card.

So is there a better explanation?

EXPLANATION #2

According to the Head Librarian of New Orleans, because of the way records were kept at the Main Library in New Orleans, there was no way to determine if LHO ever took books out of the Main Library or if he had had a card issued to him from there:

IMAGE-6.png

IMAGE-7.png

LINK (Page 1 & 2): https://historymatters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh25/pdf/WH25_CE_2650.pdf

It’s been a while since I have been a member of a library, so maybe people on here could help me out, but my interpretation of this is that one possibility is that Oswald possibly first joined the Main Library in New Orleans, located in the city center, when he arrived in New Orleans, took a few books out from there, and then on May 27th decided to change his library from the Main Library in the city center to the Napoleon library branch which was closer to his Magazine street address.

Library-5.png

Even though the Main Library was close to his place of work at the Reily Coffee Company, I’m guessing Oswald changed to the Napoleon Branch which was close to his apartment because it would provide him with some place to go in the evening time or on Saturdays to get out of the house from Marina and the kids, and he could simply walk to the Napoleon Branch for some “Oswald” time. No bus required.

In this scenario, what may have happened is that Oswald took "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" out of the Main Library (one of many books he may have taken out from there in May 1963) in the city center on May 22nd and then joined the Napoleon branch on May 27th where they issued him with a library card on that same date. I’m guessing that Oswald then returned "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" to the Napoleon branch rather than back to the Main Library where he first got it. Because Oswald returned the book to the Napoleon Branch, this is how this book got registered at the Napoleon branches record keeping system, even though it would appear he could not have taken it out from there on May 22nd as he was not issued with a card from the Napoleon Branch until May 27th.

There is no hint in Marina Oswalds, Ruth Paines, the Reily Coffee Company employees or the Murrets testimonies (including the book “Marina and Lee”) that Oswald was visiting any library or had any book in his possession on any date prior to joining the Napoleon Branch in late May 1963. Oswald lived with the Murrets from April 25th to May 9th 1963 when he found an apartment on Magazine street and it does not appear Oswald brought home any library books during his stay at the Murrets house:

Mr. JENNER - Well, before we get to that, while he was living with you, did he read while he was home at night?
Mrs. MURRET - Did he read?
Mr. JENNER - Yes.
Mrs. MURRET - No.
Mr. JENNER - He didn't read any books?
Mrs. MURRET - You see, he went out all day. He would get up and leave early in the morning. He wouldn't eat any breakfast. I would try to fix him an egg and bacon or something like that, but he didn't want anything to eat for breakfast and he wouldn't take a thing. We always eat a big breakfast in our family, but he wouldn't eat a thing. He would just get dressed and go out with his newspaper to look for a job, and come home in time for supper and then he would sit around a while and watch television and then go to bed, and he followed that same pattern all while he was with us, until he got this job with the Riley Coffee Co.

LINK: https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/testimony/murretl2.htm

Oswald appeared to be looking for jobs using newspapers that he bought and so was able to bring the newspaper home at night. This is as opposed to using free newspapers at a library which he would not be able to take home with him. The Reily coffee company job had been advertised in the newspaper which is how LHO got the job:

LINK: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1139#relPageId=766&search=Arturo_Rodriguez

This is as opposed to the Reily job being advertised on a pin board or something at a local library.

Therefore the only evidence I know of that LHO was visiting libraries, and taking out books, prior to him joining the Napoleon branch on May 27th is the subtle hint of the "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" book which was apparently checked out by Oswald on May 22nd. I am not overly familiar with the issuing of library cards but I would have imagined they are issued on the same day someone wants to join the library. And that a person could only take out a book once a library card is actually issued to that person. As a result, it would appear to be a possibility that Oswald was visiting a library and taking out books (the last one being "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung") from a library somewhere in New Orleans prior to joining the Napoleon branch on May 27th.

What do you think?

I do not have an explanation. 

I will say this. Regardless of his politics or personality, LHO seemed to do some very serious reading. I suspect LHO had a rather high IQ, at least in some regards. 

3 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

About a year and a half ago, I visited the Napoleon branch library with Steve Roe and Fred Litwin.  The librarian on duty asked the purpose of our visit (since we looked out of place).  I began to explain to her why we were there and it turns out that she was fully aware of the visits to that particular library branch by Lee Oswald during the summer of '63.

Interesting side note:  The librarian was Russian.

Now cue the Gil Jesus conspiracy angle....

Did y’all ever happen to look for/find a NOLA City Directory from 1963? Not too long ago I reached out the the New Orleans City Library and the only years they didn’t have were ‘63 and ‘67… which of course were the ones I wanted. 

Same deal with arrest records. I’m pretty sure ‘63 is the only year at the library that isn’t open access - and I’m not sure if the public can even request to view the microfilm, but could be wrong on that. 

Last I checked the ‘63 directory was also missing from the holdings of the Jazz Museum and Tulane University Library. Someone’s gotta have one somewhere… 

3 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

Did y’all ever happen to look for/find a NOLA City Directory from 1963? Not too long ago I reached out the the New Orleans City Library and the only years they didn’t have were ‘63 and ‘67… which of course were the ones I wanted. 

Same deal with arrest records. I’m pretty sure ‘63 is the only year at the library that isn’t open access - and I’m not sure if the public can even request to view the microfilm, but could be wrong on that. 

Last I checked the ‘63 directory was also missing from the holdings of the Jazz Museum and Tulane University Library. Someone’s gotta have one somewhere… 

I wonder if the Murrets still have theirs. Oswald phoned every Oswald in the Murrets phonebook looking for his relatives. Though were phonebooks issued every year? Maybe they skipped some years for some reason.

According to the book "Marina and Lee", the Murrets said LHO would leave the house at 9am and not return until about 5:30pm. That's a long time for an unemployed person to be out of the house each day. Some of that time was spent looking for work, but surely not all of it.

LHO could have spent some of that time tracing his relatives as well as visiting the cemetery where his father was buried. I just wonder if some of that time was spent in the library too. Did libraries offer any job searching facilities? Like pin boards where employers could post jobs? If so LHO could have visited several libraries looking at the various pin boards to see what jobs were offered in that locality.

Anyone know if libraries back then had pin boards offering local jobs?

Gerry, that is a head scratcher.

Normally library cards are issued on the same day as application. They are applicable to all libraries in the same county, or in Oswald's case, parish. You have to be a resident of said county/parish to obtain one. I don't see any library letting folks leave with a book without a library card. I do remember you could reserve a book and pick it up to read in the library. Whether or not this is the case with the Mao book, I have no idea. I guess it's possible that the library held onto the book in Oswald's name and when he got his library card (you have to show proof that you are a resident), then they allowed him to check it out (leave with it). Maybe he didn't have the necessary proof on May 22nd and showed up on May 27th with a utility bill, or something to prove he lived on Magazine Street. Just speculation, no proof that this was the case. 

If I'm reading the documents right, then the Mao book by Robert Payne was the first book he checked out?

The library card was issued at the Napoleon Branch as per documents. 

As far as the Main Library on Loyola, near his work, that was checked on by reporters if he ever checked out any books. Appears that he did not. https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10766#relPageId=62&search="Napoleon_Branch"

May 22, 1963, was a Wednesday, and subsequently May 27th was on a Monday. Either way, since Oswald was already employed at Reily's, then most likely he went after work to fill out his application. As per documents, the library card was issued at the Napoleon Branch. If I recall from my last visit down there with Bill Brown, Fred Litwin and others, it was approximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from Oswald's Magazine apartment. Easy walking distance. 

The Napoleon Branch library was not that big, typical of branch libraries. For the most part is still looked the same as we viewed old photos down there of its interior courtesy of the branch librarian, a nice Russian lady. It's in an old historic building, but there were some minor interior modifications done over the years. It had central air conditioning on our visit, not sure if they had that in 1963 or window units. If it did have A/C, then I can see why Oswald spent some time there to escape the summer heat in New Orleans. 

The New Orleans library was generous with their check out time of 2 weeks. I believe Dallas was only 1 week, if I recall right. 

I suspect PMJ just went with the May 22nd date on the book list and didn't reconcile it with the library card issue date. Either she missed it or was perplexed as we are with no rational explanation. 

Regarding pin boards in libraries, I remember there were a few. Usually these were notifications on jobs or volunteer work in the library. Certainly, laundromats, grocery stores had them. 

Good topic, beats the "Invasion of the Bethesda Brain Snatchers" hands down. :)

Edited by Steve Roe
Correct grammar

1 hour ago, Steve Roe said:

Normally library cards are issued on the same day as application. They are applicable to all libraries in the same county, or in Oswald's case, parish. You have to be a resident of said county/parish to obtain one. I don't see any library letting folks leave with a book without a library card. I do remember you could reserve a book and pick it up to read in the library. Whether or not this is the case with the Mao book, I have no idea. I guess it's possible that the library held onto the book in Oswald's name and when he got his library card (you have to show proof that you are a resident), then they allowed him to check it out (leave with it). Maybe he didn't have the necessary proof on May 22nd and showed up on May 27th with a utility bill, or something to prove he lived on Magazine Street. Just speculation, no proof that this was the case. 

If I'm reading the documents right, then the Mao book by Robert Payne was the first book he checked out?

The library card was issued at the Napoleon Branch as per documents. 

As far as the Main Library on Loyola, near his work, that was checked on by reporters if he ever checked out any books. Appears that he did not. https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10766#relPageId=62&search="Napoleon_Branch"

May 22, 1963, was a Wednesday, and subsequently May 27th was on a Monday. Either way, since Oswald was already employed at Reily's, then most likely he went after work to fill out his application. As per documents, the library card was issued at the Napoleon Branch. If I recall from my last visit down there with Bill Brown, Fred Litwin and others, it was approximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from Oswald's Magazine apartment. Easy walking distance.

Thanks for that link.

The library was quiet close to 4905 Magazine street which enabled Lee to take Marina there on two occasions though never to the Main Library in the city center:

Questioner: Did you ever go to the library with him here in New Orleans?
Marina: Yes.
Questioner: You did go to the library with him here in New Orleans?
Questioner: How many times?
Marina: Maybe twice.
Questioner: Twice?
Marina: Maybe three times.
Questioner: Did you take the baby with you?
Questioner: Do you recall where that library was located?
Marina: It was very close to our home, I think on Magazine Street.
Questioner: Magazine Street?
Marina: Seemed to me it was on Magazine Street.
Questioner: Do you recall ever going to the main library with him?
Marina: I don't remember, sir.

LINK: https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/testimony/marinash.htm

According to this document: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10477#relPageId=733&search="new_orleans public library"  the book "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" was still at the Napoleon branch on Nov 27th 1963 when the FBI went there. So it would seem the Napoleon branch took no effort to return the book to another library in the city which Oswald might have taken it out from. This might indicate that the Napoleon branch was the library that the book originated from. 

Your theory that Oswald reserved the book on May 22nd sounds quiet plausible. On the application form one must give the address of their employer. So in addition to proving his address, it might be that Oswald also had to prove his place of work and had to wait for a pay slip from the Reily Coffee Company to prove to the library that that is where he worked. So they may have reserved the book for him behind the counter on May 22nd until he showed up with proof of his address and/or place of work in order to issue him with his card. Its possible a small library branch would be willing to make such an accommodation.

If you reserve a book at a library, then i think usually the book would not be stamped as being checked out until you actually physically go in to the library and take the book out. But if they were holding the book behind the counter for him, they may have stamped it on that very date May 22nd, to ensure no other librarian accidentally gave the book out to someone else and also to ensure that the applicant hurried up and brought in the necessary documentation to validate their application for a library card. 

What's also notable is that on the library card it says "Is entitled to draw books from any agency of the New Orleans Public Library system". This would imply that Oswald could use this card to take books out of any library in the city. I wonder if a follow on from this is that he was then obliged to return those books to the same library from which he got them. One would imagine that would be a rule the library system would have. Otherwise it would be hard for any librarian to know what books were in their library at any given time. I'd imagine there would be a stamp on the inside of each book that identified the library the book was associated with. If so, this would weigh in favor of the idea that the book "Portrait of a Revolutionary: Mao Tse-Tung" originated at the Napoleon library. 

So if you assume that a library card issued from the Main Library in the city center had the same notation "Is entitled to draw books from any agency of the New Orleans Public Library system" and Oswald had joined the Main Library in the city center in early May 1963, then there would never have been any need for him to join the Napoleon branch. He could simply use his card issued to him at the Main Library in the city center to take books out of the Napoleon branch and return them there. This would appear to weigh in favor of the idea that Oswald never joined any other library in New Orleans, or took any books out from there, other than the Napoleon branch. 

One reason LHO may have delayed joining the Napoleon branch of the library was that when Marina first saw the 4905 Magazine street apartment, she didn't like it. LHO consequently may have been unsure for a week or two if they would stay in that apartment and only when he felt they were settling in there that he then went to the Napoleon branch to join there. It might have been in Oswalds mind to only join a library which would be close to where he lived which might explain why he put off joining a library until as late as the end of May 1963 even though he liked to read. 

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

So if you assume that a library card issued from the Main Library in the city center had the same notation "Is entitled to draw books from any agency of the New Orleans Public Library system" and Oswald had joined the Main Library in the city center in early May 1963, then there would never have been any need for him to join the Napoleon branch. He could simply use his card issued to him at the Main Library in the city center to take books out of the Napoleon branch and return them there. This would appear to weigh in favor of the idea that Oswald never joined any other library in New Orleans, or took any books out from there, other than the Napoleon branch. 

Gerry, regarding the library card, yes, the application was found at the Napoleon Branch. https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=59608#relPageId=70&search=Napoleon_library

So, it appears that's where he applied for the library card and rules out the Main Library on Loyola. 

Yes, he could use that library card at the Main Library or anywhere in Orleans Parish. It was most likely that libraries required books checked out to be return to the same library. As someone who used the old Dewey Decimal system in library card file cabinets to locate a particular book on a shelf, it would be chaotic for library patrons to drop off books in another library messing up their inventory system. 

As you mention, his employment status was required and good point, he might have been waiting on his Reily check stub. I believe they paid on Fridays as I have two copies of Reily checks on May 17 and May 31 (both Fridays). Not sure if they paid weekly offhand, if so, that might explain why he waited till Monday to submit his employment proof to the librarian. 

The real sleeper that many don't know about is the William Manchester book Portrait of a President that Oswald checked out from Napoleon. 

Edited by Steve Roe
Correct grammar

21 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

According to the book "Marina and Lee", the Murrets said LHO would leave the house at 9am and not return until about 5:30pm. That's a long time for an unemployed person to be out of the house each day. Some of that time was spent looking for work, but surely not all of it.

@Bill Brown and @Steve Roe, you guys are familiar with walking around New Orleans. What do you think LHO was doing for all that time each day. What cafes, city attractions, shops, libraries etc do you think he could have visited to pass the time? Especially considering his left wing politics. Were there any left wing attractions or shops in New Orleans in 1963?

Edited by Gerry Down

16 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

@Bill Brown and @Steve Roe, you guys are familiar with walking around New Orleans. What do you think LHO was doing for all that time each day. What cafes, city attractions, shops, libraries etc do you think he could have visited to pass the time? Especially considering his left wing politics. Were there any left wing attractions or shops in New Orleans in 1963?

Gerry, I'm not aware of any left-wing attractions or shops in New Orleans in 1963. If there were, I doubt Oswald would have known about them. He was fresh off his murder attempt on General Walker in Dallas just 2 weeks earlier, so I'm sure he behaved himself.

The time period you are discussing is from April 25th (moves in with the Murrets) to May 10th when he began work at Reily's and moved into his Magazine apartment. Approximately ~2 weeks. His main focus was to find a job and get established with an apartment.

During this time period, with limited funds, he was restricted somewhat on his activities. One of his first orders of business was to visit the Louisiana Unemployment office (located on 630 Camp Street) to file a claim and seek employment help. That was done on April 26th. His was seeking photography work as per his previous experience at JCS in Dallas. Oswald was referred to the George Repell Studio and he did go there to fill out an application. It is assumed that Oswald used public transportation to go to these places and being gone all day, I'm sure he ate frugally. Plenty of inexpensive bakeries, food stands were available. Or perhaps he didn't eat anything and packed some snacks. It's unknown. Strangely, his Aunt Lillian Murret said he didn't eat breakfast. 

There are time gaps for certain, as we don't know where Oswald was going all the time. But on April 28th, he did visit his father's gravesite. The following day on April 29th he went back to the Unemployment office to file an amended claim which was in attempt transferring his Texas Unemployment claim that was finally approved on May 8th due to some error on his Social Security number. 

Some of his job search claims as required by the Louisiana Unemployment office were bogus. But to continue receiving benefits, that was a requirement. 

Meanwhile, he attempted to contact other family members and did visit his other Aunt Hazel (she lived in Metairie), who gave him a photo of his deceased father during this time period. 

Oswald did borrow $30 - $40 from his Uncle Dutz Murret to help secure his Magazine apartment and groceries. He paid the Garner's $65 rent. So, he was running low on cash, no doubt. 

Bottom line, I have no idea where Oswald was in those time gaps. Since he grew up in New Orleans and was familiar with the area, I don't see him sightseeing for pleasure and entertainment all that much. 

Edited by Steve Roe
Correct grammar

2 hours ago, Steve Roe said:

Gerry, I'm not aware of any left-wing attractions or shops in New Orleans in 1963. If there were, I doubt Oswald would have known about them. He was fresh off his murder attempt on General Walker in Dallas just 2 weeks earlier, so I'm sure he behaved himself.

The time period you are discussing is from April 25th (moves in with the Murrets) to May 10th when he began work at Reily's and moved into his Magazine apartment. Approximately ~2 weeks. His main focus was to find a job and get established with an apartment.

During this time period, with limited funds, he was restricted somewhat on his activities. One of his first orders of business was to visit the Louisiana Unemployment office (located on 630 Camp Street) to file a claim and seek employment help. That was done on April 26th. His was seeking photography work as per his previous experience at JCS in Dallas. Oswald was referred to the George Repell Studio and he did go there to fill out an application. It is assumed that Oswald used public transportation to go to these places and being gone all day, I'm sure he ate frugally. Plenty of inexpensive bakeries, food stands were available. Or perhaps he didn't eat anything and packed some snacks. It's unknown. Strangely, his Aunt Lillian Murret said he didn't eat breakfast. 

There are time gaps for certain, as we don't know where Oswald was going all the time. But on April 28th, he did visit his father's gravesite. The following day on April 29th he went back to the Unemployment office to file an amended claim which was in attempt transferring his Texas Unemployment claim that was finally approved on May 8th due to some error on his Social Security number. 

Some of his job search claims as required by the Louisiana Unemployment office were bogus. But to continue receiving benefits, that was a requirement. 

Meanwhile, he attempted to contact other family members and did visit his other Aunt Hazel (she lived in Metairie), who gave him a photo of his deceased father during this time period. 

Oswald did borrow $30 - $40 from his Uncle Dutz Murret to help secure his Magazine apartment and groceries. He paid the Garner's $65 rent. So, he was running low on cash, no doubt. 

Bottom line, I have no idea where Oswald was in those time gaps. Since he grew up in New Orleans and was familiar with the area, I don't see him sightseeing for pleasure and entertainment all that much. 

The period i 'm thinking of would extend from April 25th to May 22nd 1963. I was wondering what he might have been doing when he was not doing his usual past time of reading books he took out from the library.

I hadn't realized the unemployment center was so close to the Newman building. So not only was Oswald familiar with that area from working at the Reily Coffee Company, he was also familiar with it from visiting the unemployment center. Its no wonder then he might have enquired about renting an office at the Newman building for his FPCC chapter. 

I'd say The Shark and the Sardines by Juan Jose Arevlo, former president of Guatemala was Oswald's magic library book.  It disappeared.  Overdue and never found/reported among his possessions.  If it had been the lone nutters could say it provoked LHO to assassinate JFK as I've read elsewhere it was highly critical of US policy.  I'm pretty sure Leslie Sharp mentioned this in another thread or I read it in A Secret Order by Hank Albarelli, that it was transcribed to English by CIA agent June Cobb.

BookNotes: The library habits of Lee Harvey Oswald - Cranbrook Daily Townsman (cranbrooktownsman.com)

3 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

hadn't realized the unemployment center was so close to the Newman building. So not only was Oswald familiar with that area from working at the Reily Coffee Company, he was also familiar with it from visiting the unemployment center. Its no wonder then he might have enquired about renting an office at the Newman building for his FPCC chapter. 

We spent quite a bit of time walking around Lafayette Square, that seemed to be "Oswald Central". We located the old Reily Coffee building, still there on Girod/Magazine. Then we spent some time examining old photos of the Newman building on Camp/Lafayette (torn down). Also, we attempted to find the Lafayette postal substation where Oswald got his mail. There was an old post office there, but there was some discussion whether it was in the Federal Building. Wandering around we located the old print shop location where Oswald designed and had printed his leaflets/handbills. That was just around the corner from Reily Coffee. Also of some interest was Gallier Hall (Old New Orleans City Hall) where Cuban exiles held many functions over the years. That's right off Lafayette Square. 

Continuing on we located the exact location where Oswald was handing out his handbills in front of the old International Trade Mart on Common/Camp streets. Bill Brown used some old photos and located the exact spot. It had nothing to do with Clay Shaw, rather Oswald's protest of the trade embargo with Cuba. He did another similar handbill demonstration at the Dumain Wharf where the USS Wasp was berthed for about a week or so. The Wasp was involved in the Cuban blockade and was in the local New Orleans newspapers. 

On 8/31/2023 at 2:37 AM, Ron Bulman said:

I'd say The Shark and the Sardines by Juan Jose Arevlo, former president of Guatemala was Oswald's magic library book.  It disappeared.  Overdue and never found/reported among his possessions.  If it had been the lone nutters could say it provoked LHO to assassinate JFK as I've read elsewhere it was highly critical of US policy.  I'm pretty sure Leslie Sharp mentioned this in another thread or I read it in A Secret Order by Hank Albarelli, that it was transcribed to English by CIA agent June Cobb.

BookNotes: The library habits of Lee Harvey Oswald - Cranbrook Daily Townsman (cranbrooktownsman.com)

I think an old JFK researcher named John Newman, not the John Newman of "Oswald and the CIA" fame, found this book. I forget the story now but think it turned up in the Oak Cliff library or something.

11 minutes ago, Steve Roe said:

The Wasp was involved in the Cuban blockade and was in the local New Orleans newspapers. 

Thanks. I hadn't realised this story about the Wasp. So the Wasp had some notoriety regarding the blockade. Any idea what the papers were saying about it?