The Education Forum

Friday, September 13, 1963, an Important Assassination Related Date?

Ron Bulman

The official White House announcement that JFK would come to Texas, and Dallas in particular (?).

• The White House confirmed in a press release that U.S. President Kennedy would be making a trip to Dallas, Texas later in the year, though the specific itinerary was not complete. The Dallas Times-Herald reported that Kennedy would have "a breakfast in Dallas, luncheon in Fort Worth, coffee in San Antonio and dinner in Houston."[33][34]    

I've read somewhere before LBJ, and Connally (?) lobbied for this.  To heal the divide between the party's conservative (LBJ,JC) side and liberal (Yarborough) side before the upcoming 1964 campaign.  

Was it a green light for plotters to proceed?  They now had him coming to Texas, was Dallas the preferred city for a public execution?  Given it's right wing political outlook.  The CIA's Mayor Cabbell, it's Southwestern head of operations (only exceeded stateside by JMWAVE), more.  When did the Texas School Book Depository begin operations in the Elm Street location, not too long before this?  

They now had JFK coming to Dallas, a parade had to be arranged, passing the newly occupied TSBD, owned by Byrd.  I've read Connally was adamant about the speech being at the new Trade Mart vs the old fair grounds building, requiring the turn onto Houston then Elm.

I don't know if Laffite's datebook has any entries around this time.  But I have to wonder if Dulles, Angleton, Harvey and Morales might have smiled at the news.

Edited by Ron Bulman

• Ron Bulman changed the title to Friday, September 13, 1963, an Important Assassination Related Date?

Maybe it's just me but it seems searching the internet has recently become more tedious.  Bing AI wants to help.  Yet specific inquiries yield unrelated results.

I thought I'd read the Texas School Book Depository Company moved into the 411 Elm location in mid to late summer 1963.  Not sure where.  Various searches say 1963, early 1962 or nothing.

The Laffite datebook mentions on the 14th, Cannon.  Then on the 16th, see J. Dallas . . . T says L.O.

Before reading that I wondered if the announcement of the visit might have initiated movement of LHO, 2-3 weeks later back to Dallas, some believe via Mexico City.

Edited by Ron Bulman

So the earliest confirmation that JFK was going to be making a trip to Dallas was Sept 13th?

I don't see any mention of a motorcade though that early. Just a trip. Were motorcades, such as the one we see on Nov 22nd 1963 down Main street, standard for such trips.

3 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

So the earliest confirmation that JFK was going to be making a trip to Dallas was Sept 13th?

I don't see any mention of a motorcade though that early. Just a trip. Were motorcades, such as the one we see on Nov 22nd 1963 down Main street, standard for such trips.

Yes, as far as I know.  Yes, motorcades were common for JFK.  Multiple ones in November 1963.  One cancelled in Chicago, another in Tampa "sped up", one in Miami changed to a helicopter ride (just from memory, double check it).  Another one or two earlier in the month?  See Vince's books, videos and comments.  Photographic evidence.  Many, many of the photographs with the military lining the streets.  Facing the crowds and buildings.

I digress here from my own topic, but, Why Not In Dallas?  Troops were ready to leave Fort Hood early that morning, but they didn't.

He had to be coming to Dallas before details could be worked out.

Here's a newspaper clipping that appeared in the Dallas Morning News on November 15, 1963, exactly one week before the assassination:

11-15-63.png

--------------------------------------------

Related Newspaper Articles:

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com / Newspaper Articles About JFK's Texas Trip (Sept.-Nov. 1963)

Edited by David Von Pein

So, "when the trip was planned" (when was that, starting September 13th, or even before it was announced) a proposal for a motorcade was made, through Arlington and Grand Prairie.  Which was naturally rejected, they were small towns at the time separated by miles of pasture.  This was before even the D/FW toll road opened. 

"Requests for the motorcade came from Democratic leaders who said "rank and file party workers" should get a chance to see the President and Mrs. Kennedy."  Was this a second request, regarding Dallas itself?  Made when?  Tacitly approved but purposefully not announced until what was it 2-3 days before?

There was a parade in Houston (some have claimed Jack Ruby was there, in disguise - funny), and one before it, a bit of which is on David's site.  Here is a 6 minute video of it, they were in San Antonio/at the AFB 2 1/2 hours.

Edited by Ron Bulman

I have seen pictures of people lining the route JFK took leaving downtown Fort Worth to Carswell AFB, maybe not a planned parade, but a Lot of people along a I think 8-9 mile route on the morning of 11/22/1963.  I knew about the crowds awaiting him on his arrival at 11:00 the night before, seen a few pictures of that too.

But I'd never seen these pictures before until tonight.  I never knew about the Fort Worth parade up Main Street to the courthouse.  Kind of astounding to me.  JFK had a not quite as long but nearly as crowded parade on the Main Street of Fort Worth as a sendoff to his Dallas parade.

I urge all forum members to take the time to look at these, they are truly historical.  The first one's caption says it all, motorcade from the Hotel Texas.  In the 4th picture down, look at the smiles on JFK and Jackie in particular as they come down the stairs from the plane.  If you get bored with the morning speech or breakfast Don't Miss the pictures of JFK's parade up the main street of Fort Worth, the morning before he passed.

JFK’s last day: Rare photos of Nov. 22 visit to Fort Worth TX | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Edited by Ron Bulman

Thanks for these Ron.  Lots of photographs I've never seen before.

I have added a few to my 'JFK Assassination' Powerpoint presentation.

Your welcome Pete, glad to see someone else appreciate them.  As I mentioned above, I'd never seen them before myself.  Having been born in Fort Worth they kind of hit home so to speak.  I've been "There" so many times.

This is another one that astounded me, the size of the crowd.  I'd never seen any mention of such a parade before.  Note the Christmas decorations.  As an aside, I've read (and seen) the buildings of downtown were outlined in white lights, for the season, for the first time ever, a bit early (then especially) but also so the president would see the outline of downtown as AF1 approached.  They still do it.

image.thumb.png.b337520e08fdf73e901a90d117c05f4f.png

Yes, this Main St. pic is one that I copied, as well as the Hotel Texas Chamber of Commerce audience photo.

My presentation on the assassination, concentrating on the 22nd November from Fort Worth to Parkland has been very well received and now have many bookings for 2024.  The interest in this topic is very strong in Manchester U.K.