The Education Forum

Marina Oswald Porter

Jamey Flanagan

Marina has always been a fascinating character imo.

So much to consider in that regards.

In her short 22 year long life up to the JFKA she had living experiences that set her apart in so many interesting ways.

Shuffled around with different adult caretaker figures.

Reportedly exhibiting from a young age a strong willed and even rebellious nature. 

Of all the young men she could have chosen ( she was the cutest girl in Minsk ) she hooks up with the biggest oddball around...and an American! 

She takes the plunge and even decides to leave her Russian friends, family and upbringing to go to America? 

Marina wanted something more out of life than the typical Russian girl. Something risky. Something adventurous.

And one of our posters here stated his view of Marina was that she was tough as f***.

I agree and from a young age.

She gets through the first year and a half with Lee, but things are often stressed due to Lee's low income and sporadic employment.

Things are so bad in August of 1963 in New Orleans Marina chooses to accept Ruth Paine's offer to live with her back in Irvine, Texas.

Here she is living in someone else's home for months and through giving birth for the 2nd time.

She is there out of financial stress need. It's always humiliating to have to depend on others for such basics as shelter, food, medical care no matter what age you are.

Even some shame I would imagine.

I don't think Marina ever liked Ruth Paine. I do think she truly appreciated her help though.

Marina completely stopped any correspondence with Ruth Paine soon after the JFKA and her life took such a drastic turn. She didn't need Ruth's help anymore. I've read where this cutoff hurt RP.

But look at the stress reality that Marina was immersed in while she was living with RP and up to and after the JFKA itself - mind boggling.

She was living with a person she would never choose to be close to if she was financially able to support herself.

Her husband was always pressuring her to come back to him.

She was dealing with the powerful physical and psychologic demands of late term pregnancy.

And I couldn't have taken Lee Oswald's monstrous controlling mother for one day.

She had to endure her too through this nightmare?

During the Earth shaking whirlwind tornado of the JFKA and the crush of press and the frightening experience of constant police agency interrogation and control I don't know how breast feeding, dirt poor, no family to support her Marina didn't have a complete mental breakdown.

Of course Marina at times didn't know what to say to anyone. She surely felt logical fear of what the authorities could do to her such as deportation?

The one person it seems that Marina felt the most trusting and relaxed around was Jeannie De Mohrenschildt.

Could you imagine Marina sharing her deepest private feelings about Lee to anyone else she encountered in her time here in the states like she did with Jeannie De M?

With unexpected indiscreet openness she shared to Jeannie De M. how Lee didn't satisfy her sexual needs.

And how stupid he was.

Upon opening a closet door which revealed Lee's rifle to the De Mohrenschildts who had come to see their new apartment and bring a gift for Junie, Marina blurts out "Look at this idiot. He spends his money on toys/guns?" when they had other basic needs.

Marina really trashes Lee.

Jeanie De M was mortified that Marina would say such private personal things to her like this.

Marina liked to smoke. And did so knowing her husband detested her doing so.

That was another sign of her natural individual rebellious streak imo.

Yes, her and Lee fought. I think Lee did get too rough with Marina from time to time.

Paul Gregory, whose Russian language teaching father met Lee and Marina, related an incident he personally witnessed where he says Lee showed incredible callousness toward Marina.

This happened just outside of their apartment.

Marina was holding Junie in her arms. She took a missed first step on the porch and fell full weight on her back and Junie tumbled after.

Oswald was instantly furious at Marina for missing the step. The only concern he showed was for his daughter Junie whom he picked up and held.

Marina was left to gather herself on her own.

Paul Gregory was appalled at Lee's lack of concern for Marina. 

George De Mohrenchildt stated he had a fatherly man-to-man talk with Lee about his suspected physical abuse of Marina.

If I remember correctly, George DeM even implied that if Lee ever did that in his presence he would deal with Lee.

I often can't imagine all the mind boggling heavy storm emotions and pressures Marina went through in her time with Lee, staying at other people's houses, dealing with her 2nd pregnancy, living under Ruth's roof and under her rules, dealing with a pressuring Lee, dealing with his overbearing nut case mother, dealing with her own health issues like her teeth and nutritional needs, dealing with the deadly serious agency people, worried about deportation, and then the ultimate nightmare of 11,22,1963 and beyond, just weeks after she gives birth?

IMO it was remarkable how she kept it together. And at just 22 years of age and no family support at all?

Marina a tough fiber young woman? That's an understatement imo.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Marina is an enigma, that has never been properly explored.  Harassed by the WC, exploited by Priscilla Mc Millan.  She tried to come clean somewhat in the late 80's, early 90's.  Suppressed, terrible.  At this point I wish her peace in life though I'd like to know more details.