The Education Forum

MFF changes. I don't like it.

I don't like it.  Normally on the Home page, and with every search you did, next to the empty field where you would put in whatever you were looking for there were two options in red color font, a RIF search and an ADV search.  Now, the RIF search is gone.

I can see they are trying to make the thing more useful to people on cell phones.  But, to lose the RIF search to help idiots on cellphones is too high a cost.

A new RIF search is kind of available if you hit ADV search it takes you to a new place and you're choice now is standard search and RIF search.  But, it's not the same.

Also gone is when you did a RIF search and it would show you in blue all of the previous releases for that one RIF document. 

Bring it back, Rex.  I've got too much invested in your site for this drastic a change. 

Joe

Edited by Joseph Backes

3 hours ago, Joseph Backes said:

Also gone is when you did a RIF search and it would show you in blue all of the previous releases for that one RIF document. 

I didn't realize the old MFF did this. This sounds like a very useful feature and key to understanding what has been unredacted and when it was unredacted. Hopefully this feature will in some way be incorporated into the new look MFF website. 

MFF changes explained by Rex - https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Featured_MFF_is_Phone_Friendly.html

In actuality, for desktops, it sucks.  

For starters, the "click here to learn more," doesn't work.  It links to a weird page with a link back to the link at the top of this post.

God damn it, this is worse than 1986 New Coke.

To get the "old" RIF search - go to the home page, click on the adv search, put a blue dot in the RIF search there, it's a weird page that says SEARCH, put in the RIF number in the "search for," field, click search, you'll get something like the old way, but it's nowhere near as good as the old system.  

Big thumbs down from me.

Joe

9 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Joe, have you communicated this directly to Rex?

Yes.

What do you think of this new system, how are you using it? Desktop, laptop, cellphone? 

Do you think it's an improvement? If folks don't like it, say so, loudly! 

Joe

I really don't think anybody has to say anything loudly Joe, I passed the comments on to Rex myself...he has day job, he does everything on MFF voluntarily as he can find time for it and he had a lot of requests for a smartphone fix....I don't think he has to be pushed into anything, he just needs feedback.