The Education Forum

Was LHO Spying on General Walker?

One of the curiosities of the missed shot at Genera Edwin Walker, on the evening April 10, 1963, was the photograph alleged to have been found in LHO's possession post-JFKA. 

As most JFK researchers know, the FBI and Dallas Police said they had recovered a photograph of Walker's backyard in LHO's belongings, the same backyard from which someone took a potshot at Walker. 

But there is another feature of that backyard photograph that everyone immediately notices: What the hell happened to the back trunk of the 1957 Chevy parked in Walker backyard? It was not Walker's auto, and looks like someone ripped a huge hole in the trunk.

As it turns out, there is actually a hole in the physical Walker photograph. Someone cut out of the photograph the auto's license plate and perhaps other insignia.

That someone was almost certainly in acting in an official capacity. 

Marina Oswald testified that when she last saw the Walker backyard photograph, the license plate was intact. It makes no sense for LHO to have cut out the image of the license plate. If LHO wanted the plate number to run searches on the auto and its ownership, he could have simply used a paper and pencil to make a note. 

Which brings up an interesting speculation: LHO was a low level intel-state asset, as alleged by John Newman and other serious researchers. 

The Deep State then and now routinely develops dirt on public figures, through honey traps, bugging, surveillance and other methods. Indeed, the infamous Watergate burglary was, in part, to develop information on a call-girl ring being run from the  DNC, and thus to compromise D-Party officials. 

Was LHO spying on Walker? At the time Walker was a national political figure, very prominent in right-wing circles, touted for office in Texas or even nationally. 

But Walker also had a private life, one then very much considered out of step with his public image and politics. 

Was the backyard photograph, and the license plate number, part of LHO's low-level smear-job work on behalf of the intel-state? 

Why would an official cut out the license plate number from the Walker backyard photograph? 

Perhaps Oswald got a little paranoid and at some point obliterated the license plate because it in a very concrete way could connect him to Walker and the shooting if it fell into the wrong hands. Does it have to be more complicated than that?

23 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Perhaps Oswald got a little paranoid and at some point obliterated the license plate because it in a very concrete way could connect him to Walker and the shooting if it fell into the wrong hands. Does it have to be more complicated than that?

That is a possibility, although very low probability  

The license plate, if identified, might allow someone to pinpoint when LHO was there.  That is, authorities could ask the owners of the vehicle, "When were you visiting Walker?" 

On the other hand, perhaps the license plate would reveal the photo as having been taken after the Walker shooting. That is, the vehicle belonged to someone who visited Walker in May. 

Also, if LHO was concerned the photograph would connect him to the shooting---why hold on to the photograph? Hold onto the photograph but cut out the license plate number? Huh? 

The odds favor an official excised the Walker backyard photograph of the license plate. Reasonable deductions on why? 

Marina Oswald's testimony to investigators, and then the Warren Commission, was often indefinite and contradictory.

Marina seems rather certain that the photograph was not mutilated when in LHP's possession, but rather later, when in FBI possession 

Here is what she said about the mysterious hole in the Walker backyard photograph: 

WALKER PHOTO HOLE

Mr. LIEBELER. I show you Commission Exhibit No. 5, which is a copy of one of the photographs that was found among these effects after the assassination.
*Mrs. OSWALD. Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER. Does that appear to be one of the photographs about which you were speaking?
*Mrs. OSWALD. Yes; that's one.
Mr. LIEBELER. Are you absolutely sure about that?
*Mrs. OSWALD. No; I don't remember when Lee showed me the picture that it was this.
Mrs. OSWALD. When I was first shown this picture, I remember that there was a license plate number on this car.
Mr. LIEBELER. When Lee showed you the picture, there was a license plate number on the car?
*Mrs. OSWALD. Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER. As shown in Commission Exhibit No. 5; is that right?
*Mrs. OSWALD. Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER. When you look at this picture you see that there is a black mark on the back of this, do you know what makes that black mark?
*Mrs. OSWALD. No; but I think when the Commission showed me this picture the number was there.
Mr. McKENZIE. License plate?
Mrs. OSWALD. I would have remembered this black spot if it were there at the time the Commission showed me this, or the FBI. When the FBI first showed me this photograph I remember that the license plate, the number of the license plate was on this car, was on the photograph.
*Mrs. OSWALD. It had the white and black numbers. There was no black spot that I see on it now. When Lee showed me this photograph there was the number on the license plate on this picture. I would have remembered it if there were a black spot on the back of the car where the license plate would be.
Mr. LIEBELER. The original of this picture, the actual photograph, has a hole through it. That's what makes this black spot.
*Mrs. OSWALD. This is from the negative?
Mr. GREGORY. This picture was made from the original photograph, rather than from a negative?
Mr. LIEBELER. Yes; it's simply a picture of a picture.
Mrs. OSWALD. When the FBI and Lee showed me this particular picture--
*Mrs. OSWALD. Not this big size.
Mrs. OSWALD. This photograph--it was a smaller size.
Mr. LIEBELER. Yes.
Mrs. OSWALD. There was a license plate on this car.
Mr. LIEBELER. Do you remember that very clearly?
Mrs. OSWALD. When Lee showed it to me, I remember very distinctly that there was a license plate on this car. When this business about General Walker came up I would have remembered this black spot.

Page 295

Mr. LIEBELER. Or the hole?
Mrs. OSWALD. Or the hole in the original--I would have remembered it.
Mr. LIEBELER. And you remember, then, that the license plate was actually on that car when you saw the picture?
Mrs. OSWALD. This black spot is so striking I would have remembered it if it were on the photograph that Lee showed me or the FBI.
Mr. LIEBELER. Let's address ourselves also, not just to the black spot but to the possibility that they may have shown you the actual original photograph on which there is no black spot, but which has a hole right through the photograph.
Mrs. OSWALD. There was no hole in the original when they showed it to me I'm positive of it.
Mr. McKENZIE. All right, let me ask her a question.
Mrs. OSWALD. This is the first time I saw a black spot or have heard about a hole in the original photograph.
*Mrs. OSWALD. Why does the Commission not ask me about this?
Mr. McKENZIE. Well, the Commission is asking you about it now, because Mr. Liebeler represents the Commission.
*Mrs. OSWALD. I know it.
Mr. McKENZIE. Let me ask you--when Lee showed you this picture, which is Commission Exhibit No. 5, had it been folded over?
*Mrs. OSWALD. No.
Mr. McKENZIE. At that time did the car that appears in the picture, did it have a hole in the picture?
Mrs. OSWALD. No.
Mr. McKENZIE. When the FBI or the Secret Service showed you this picture, had it been folded?
*Mrs. OSWALD. No.
Mr. McKENZIE. Who showed you the picture the FBI or the Secret Service or the Commission?
*Mrs. OSWALD. The FBI first and then the Commission.
Mr. McKENZIE. Now, at the time the Commission showed you the picture in Washington, was there a hole shown in the picture where the cat's license plate would be?
*Mrs. OSWALD. No; I don't know what happened to this picture, because when the Commission showed me the picture there was not this spot here.
Mrs. OSWALD. If there was a hole, I would have asked them right away why that hole is there or the black spot.
Mr. McKENZIE. Off the record, please.
(Discussion between Mr. McKenzie and Mr. Liebeler to the effect that the picture might have been creased in the process of making a print from the original photograph.)
Mr. McKENZIE. One more question---is this the first time that you have seen the picture when there was a black spot in the back of the automobile?
*Mrs. OSWALD. Yes; the first time.
Mr. LIEBELER. Have you ever seen a picture like this that had a hole in it?
*Mrs. OSWALD. No.
Mr. LIEBELER. Do you think of anything else about this Walker incident that you haven't already told the Commission that you think we should know that you can remember?

44 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

That is a possibility, although very low probability  

The license plate, if identified, might allow someone to pinpoint when LHO was there.  That is, authorities could ask the owners of the vehicle, "When were you visiting Walker?" 

On the other hand, perhaps the license plate would reveal the photo as having been taken after the Walker shooting. That is, the vehicle belonged to someone who visited Walker in May. 

Also, if LHO was concerned the photograph would connect him to the shooting---why hold on to the photograph? Hold onto the photograph but cut out the license plate number? Huh? 

The odds favor an official excised the Walker backyard photograph of the license plate. Reasonable deductions on why?

A probability that actually does seem kind of low is for the photo to have been taken after the shooting. Who knows why Oswald kept it. Perhaps he had a sentimental streak.

1 hour ago, Mark Ulrik said:

A probability that actually does seem kind of low is for the photo to have been taken after the shooting. Who knows why Oswald kept it. Perhaps he had a sentimental streak.

It looks like the FBI engaged in evidence tampering. To what end? 

22 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

It looks like the FBI engaged in evidence tampering. To what end? 

It doesn't look like the FBI tampered with the photo to me, so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask.

42 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

It doesn't look like the FBI tampered with the photo to me, so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask.

Out of curiosity, how did the hole in the Walker backyard photograph get there, if it was not there, when the FBI obtained the photograph? 

44 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Out of curiosity, how did the hole in the Walker backyard photograph get there, if it was not there, when the FBI obtained the photograph? 

Well, Marina had no reason to lie about this, but memory can play tricks, and perhaps the FBI showed her a second gen copy where the damage was less apparent. In an evidence photo in Curry's book, it looks like the license plate was already missing.

Edited by Mark Ulrik

Now, this is probaly not related, but so far I haven't seen a lot about it being discussed.

Hosty in his book said that in those days he was heavily involved in the "investigation of Walker" (or something like that). 

Now, would that have included the shooting or was it limited to Walkers extreme right-wing doings ? Or was Hosty blowing smoke ?

I haven't touched the huge Walker file, so my question could be futile...

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

9 minutes ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

In the picture from the bulk evidence, if you enlarge it you can see the edges of a tear that's the same as the tear in the second photo. Difference is the underground, in the first a light coloured page was underneath it.   I have seen that blow-up somewhere, just don't remember the website 

Perhaps here?

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10505#relPageId=46

(and zoom in as much as you can)