The Education Forum

Feedback to Forum Tips & Tricks

4 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Steve,

but the file will still be in your Attachment Storage. So you then need to go to Attachment Storage and delete the file from there.

You can't do the first step because the thread where your photo is posted is locke

. You should be able to delete the photo from you Attachment Storage.

To do this, click your name (or menu icon) in the top/right corner of the window.Then click My Attachments. You should be able t delete the picture in there.

Let me know what happens.

Sandy 

Where do I find this "Attachment Storage"?

When I go to My Attachments, all I see is a thumbnail of the attachment, and the Thread where it is located.

Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Sandy 

Where do I find this "Attachment Storage"?

When I go to My Attachments, all I see is a thumbnail of the attachment, and the Thread where it is located.

Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas

You were at the correct place, Steve. Go there again, find the attachment you want to delete, then select it by clicking that little square box to the far right of it. A trash can will appear, and you click it.

Note that you can select multiple thumbnails before deleting them all in a single click. Useful if you a lot to delete.

Let me know if it works.

48 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

You were at the correct place, Steve. Go there again, find the attachment you want to delete, then select it by clicking that little square box to the far right of it. A trash can will appear, and you click it.

Note that you can select multiple thumbnails before deleting them all in a single click. Useful if you a lot to delete.

Let me know if it works.

Sandy,

Thanks. It appears to be working. You don't see the results until you completely leave and go Home, and then come back again to the My Attachments section.

I still can't edit the postings I made in the Inevitable Results of the Last 56 Years Thread in order to remove those Attachments, but I figure you guys will figure out how to do that.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

Sandy,

Thanks. It appears to be working. You don't see the results until you completely leave and go Home, and then come back again to the My Attachments section.

I still can't edit the postings I made in the Inevitable Results of the Last 56 Years Thread in order to remove those Attachments, but I figure you guys will figure out how to do that.

Steve Thomas

Great, it works! Thanks for reporting back. Now I know how to help others with the same problem.

2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Great, it works! Thanks for reporting back. Now I know how to help others with the same problem.

Sandy,

I got up this morning and started working on deleting Attachments.

I just saw those little squares to the right of the Forum Threads in the My Attachments page for the first time.

You're right. A person can click on those little boxes and delete a whole bunch of posts at the same time, even from those Inevitable Results of the Last 56 Years thread.

I'm recovering storage space at a rapid pace.

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Steve Thomas

On 8/25/2023 at 6:20 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Sandy,

I got up this morning and started working on deleting Attachments.

I just saw those little squares to the right of the Forum Threads in the My Attachments page for the first time.

You're right. A person can click on those little boxes and delete a whole bunch of posts at the same time, even from those Inevitable Results of the Last 56 Years thread.

I'm recovering storage space at a rapid pace.

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Steve Thomas

Steve,

Will you direct me to one of your posts that used to show one of your photos, but now it doesn't because you deleted it in My Attachments? I want to see the consequences and determine if allowing all members to do this would be problematic in the long run.

Actually, I'd like to see TWO of your posts with photos deleted this way, one in a locked thread (e.g. 56 Years) and one in an unlocked thread.

9 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Steve,

Will you direct me to one of your posts that used to show one of your photos, but now it doesn't because you deleted it in My Attachments? I want to see the consequences and determine if allowing all members to do this would be problematic in the long run.

Actually, I'd like to see TWO of your posts with photos deleted this way, one in a locked thread (e.g. 56 Years) and one in an unlocked thread.

Sandy,

Gee, I'm not sure I remember them.

I know.I deleted a bunch from the Mainstream Cooler, and since the Thread on the 56 Years is now closed, I deleted just about every post I could find there.

If I deleted them, would they still show up in my history of postings, regardless of whether they had a photo attached or not?

Tell you what. I'll run a test in this Thread. I'll post something here right now and include a photo. Once I know it's here, I'll delete it. It will be called, "This is just a test." I'll delete the post using that little  square box. I will let you know when that is done.

Is there some kind of Archive that stores every photo a member has ever posted?

Steve Thomas

Okay Sandy,

I posted a photo in this Thread. Once I saw that was posted, I went back to My Attachments and deleted it using the little square box next to the Thread title.

It deleted it from there, and neither the post, nor the photo show up in My Attachments any longer.

However, the post and the photo still appear in this Thread.

I logged out and left the Forum, and came back in and it made no difference. I think a person would still have to physically go to the post and edit it and delete the post.

PS: If you go to edit the post, the photo no longer shows up as an attachment. It just shows up in the body of your post.

Steve

Edited by Steve Thomas

31 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Okay Sandy,

I posted a photo in this Thread. Once I saw that was posted, I went back to My Attachments and deleted it using the little square box next to the Thread title.

It deleted it from there, and neither the post, nor the photo show up in My Attachments any longer.

However, the post and the photo still appear in this Thread.

I logged out and left the Forum, and came back in and it made no difference. I think a person would still have to physically go to the post and edit it and delete the post.

PS: If you go to edit the post, the photo no longer shows up as an attachment. It just shows up in the body of your post.

Steve

Steve,

Wow, not what I expected.

The forum software doesn't want a broken link. So when you deleted each file from your attachments list, it first made a copy of it and inserted it right inside the post.

This means it would be a bad idea to allow all members to do what you're doing. Because, by deleting files, they are not really freeing up disk space. It just gets used up in a different disk location. Meanwhile, with their allotted space freed up, members could add more attachments. Eventually we'd run out of space and would have to pay for more.

But this is still a good way to allow people to temporarily delete from locked threads.

So continue to delete, but do so only from locked threads. Then let me know when you're done and I change your account back to normal.

I understand you've already deleted some photos that were not in locked threads. Well, what is done is done.

6 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Steve,

Wow, not what I expected.

The forum software doesn't want a broken link. So when you deleted each file from your attachments list, it first made a copy of it and inserted it right inside the post.

This means it would be a bad idea to allow all members to do what you're doing. Because, by deleting files, they are not really freeing up disk space. It just gets used up in a different disk location. Meanwhile, with their allotted space freed up, members could add more attachments. Eventually we'd run out of space and would have to pay for more.

But this is still a good way to allow people to temporarily delete from locked threads.

So continue to delete, but do so only from locked threads. Then let me know when you're done and I change your account back to normal.

I understand you've already deleted some photos that were not in locked threads. Well, what is done is done.

Sandy,

I went back in seven hours later.

The post and photo are gone from the My Attachments page.

The post still shows up in the actual Thread, but now, instead of a photo, it shows up as a url.

If you tap the url, a tiny little thumbnail appears. If you tap the thumbnail, an error message appears that says, " Access Denied."

Steve

On 8/27/2023 at 2:28 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Sandy,

I went back in seven hours later.

The post and photo are gone from the My Attachments page.

The post still shows up in the actual Thread, but now, instead of a photo, it shows up as a url.

If you tap the url, a tiny little thumbnail appears. If you tap the thumbnail, an error message appears that says, " Access Denied."

Steve

You mean that picture of the crop duster is gone from the above post? If so, then how strange because I can still see it!

EDIT:  Okay, I figured it out.

When you deleted the file in My Attachments, the file was deleted from your storage space. Thus making more space available to you.

However, a copy of the file was put directly in your post. In addition, the software changed permissions on the file such that only administrators can see the file. That explains why I can see the photo whereas you can't. (I don't know why the software does that.)

As for why you could see the photo in the post for a while, I have only theories. I won't bother you with those.

Anyway, thanks for all the reporting you did. It will help me decide how to do certain things in the future.

• 1 month later...

@Sandy Larsen for some reason there is no "checkbox" next to My Attachments ? There is a large file there (a .pdf ) that I can not delete for some reason ?  I want to delete it as it no longer has any use.

I tried to contact you by using the contact function, but that doesn't seem to work, don't know

Edited by Jean Ceulemans