The Education Forum

Feedback to Forum Tips & Tricks

32 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Thanks for asking. 

The photos I deleted, in fact, show up in the attachments page, even though I deleted them from the conversations. 

Thanks again

Ben 

Almost got this figured out.

So you deleted the photo from a "conversation," yet the photo still shows up on the attachment page. This means that the attached photo was posted in more than one conversation and you haven't deleted them all yet. Once you delete them all, the photo will be removed from your attachment space.

So go back into the attachments page and see where else the photo is posted. Delete all that you see.

If you've already deleted the photo from every conversation and the photo still shows up in the attachment page, then there must be a bug in the forum software. In which case I don't know what you can do to work around the bug. If it happened to me, I'd post the photo into a conversation again and then try removing it again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Almost got this figured out.

So you deleted the photo from a "conversation," yet the photo still shows up on the attachment page. This means that the attached photo was posted in more than one conversation and you haven't deleted them all yet. Once you delete them all, the photo will be removed from your attachment space.

So go back into the attachments page and see where else the photo is posted. Delete all that you see.

If you've already deleted the photo from every conversation and the photo still shows up in the attachment page, then there must be a bug in the forum software. In which case I don't know what you can do to work around the bug. If it happened to me, I'd post the photo into a conversation again and then try removing it again.

OK, thanks for looking.

Yes, the photo in question was in only one conversation, which I guess we call "topics." 

Well, the world will not come to an end if I am no longer able to add attachments....

Thanks again

Ben 

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

I would be glad to help you, Joe. PM me and I can walk you through it. 

How do I PM you?

Will do so in the morning.

Thanks MC.

Still trying to downsize my next photo to be able to post it. Despite help from a member I just can't seem to figure out how to do this.

13 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Still trying to downsize my next photo to be able to post it. Despite help from a member I just can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Hi, Joe, If you send me the pic, I will resize and test load it into my profile before sending it back. Use my phone number to text you or look n your PM’s for my email address.

• 8 months later...

Sandy or Mark,

How do I delete photos from a defunct Thread Topic, i.e. the old 56 Years thread?

If I go to the My attachments Section and click on a given topic and go to that page, I can't seem to Edit the Thread in order to delete the photos. I can only Report and Share.

Steve Thomas

8 hours ago, George Govus said:

David, Steve, I have no clue, but you might put your questions to the mods here:

May not be what they meant for the thread to do, but on the other hand, they might see it sooner.

George,

Thank you. If I don't get a response in a week or so, I'll give your suggestion a try.

Steve Thomas

On 8/23/2023 at 1:28 PM, Steve Thomas said:

Sandy or Mark,

How do I delete photos from a defunct Thread Topic, i.e. the old 56 Years thread?

If I go to the My attachments Section and click on a given topic and go to that page, I can't seem to Edit the Thread in order to delete the photos. I can only Report and Share.

Steve Thomas

Steve, I have set you up as a member who can delete attachments regardless of whether or not they are still appearing on a page. (This is normally not allowed because you may accidentally delete an attachment that is still supposed to appear in a post. You end up with a broken link instead.)

Try deleting the attachments now and let me know if it works

23 hours ago, David Josephs said:

And why must we delete a photo in every thread it appears for it to go away?

I need access to these closed threads to remove scores of Mbs of photos...  need the room.

Mods?

David,

I've given you the ability do delete an attachment even if it remains posted.

Let me know if it works or not.

4 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Steve, I have set you up as a member who can delete attachments regardless of whether or not they are still appearing on a page. (This is normally not allowed because you may accidentally delete an attachment that is still supposed to appear in a post. You end up with a broken link instead.)

Try deleting the attachments now and let me know if it works

Sandy 

I still cannot remove attachments from the Inevitable Results of the Last 56 Years Thread.

It doesn't allow me to Edit. I can only Report or Share.

Thank you for working on this.

Steve Thomas

30 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Sandy 

I still cannot remove attachments from the Inevitable Results of the Last 56 Years Thread.

It doesn't allow me to Edit. I can only Report or Share.

Thank you for working on this.

Steve Thomas

Steve,

Deleting an attachment is a two-step process. First you need to delete it from the post (or posts) it is in. After that you won't see the photo anymore, but the file will still be in your Attachment Storage. So you then need to go to Attachment Storage and delete the file from there.

You can't do the first step because the thread where your photo is posted is locked.

Normally you can't do the second step till after you've done the first step. But I have made an exception for you. You should be able to delete the photo from you Attachment Storage.

To do this, click your name (or menu icon) in the top/right corner of the window.Then click My Attachments. You should be able t delete the picture in there.

Let me know what happens.