The Education Forum

Lillian Zapruder as the Babuska Lady?

8 hours ago, Kevin Balch said:

We shouldn’t have to “believe” what happened. There are ways to calculate the implications of the limo stopping based on basic physics, test data on passenger response to deceleration, response times of skilled drivers and some reasonable assumptions that if not precisely accurate, are not likely to be off significantly. I am astonished that none of those researchers who have masters or PhDs in physics haven’t done this.

It’s not really distinguishable from blur in the Z-film, but for what it’s worth, the Itek Corp. concluded in the 70s that Jackie’s torso was jolted forward essentially the same amount as JFK between Z312-Z313. Their “explanation” if I recall was that the bullet transferred forward momentum through JFK’s chest into her hand, or something like that. 

I think it was probably just blur, but they claimed to have corrected for blur with higher uncertainty measurements, etc. If Jackie really did get pushed forward it could support a tap of the brakes right before the shot.

A random side note is that Nick Nalli, the atmosphere science jet effect guy, who does have a PhD, appears to have straight up lied about this in an article he wrote. I think it was a review of Tink Thompson’s latest book. Nalli cited the Itek study repeatedly as evidence in support of his theory, and stated unequivocally in his article that JFK was the only person observed to have been jolted forward at Z312.

Again, I think Itek was probably wrong and it was just blur based on what’s visible in the Z-film, but still. Nalli obviously read the study, and withheld evidence from his readers that directly contradicted his claims. I very politely asked Nalli why he declined to mention Itek’s conclusions on Jackie in the comments and quoted the Itek study directly but he never replied. I think he never even approved the comment to be posted on his blogspot or whatever, or maybe that was Myers. This was a few years ago, but kind of amusing. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

The Babushka lady (who was photographed on the far side of Houston Street as the motorcade was passing (From which the b&w crop of the woman in the head scarf  posted by Mike Aitken comes from--see the picture posted by Toddy Grimwall at https://www.quora.com/Who-was-the-Babushka-Lady-seen-at-JFKs-assassination) does NOT have to be the same Babushka lady as seen in the Zapruder/Muchmore films. Headscarves were common for women to wear outdoors back in 1963.

The Zapruder/Muchmore images place the Babushka Lady on Elm Street behind Brehm and son, and to Moorman and Hill's right. If Houston Street Babushka Lady is the same woman, she certainly would have had to rush to get to that position. Granted, Altgens rushed to get from where he took Altgens 5 to where he took Altgens 6, but he didn't have to cross motorcade traffic or reflective pools or walls--just cut across the grass. 

Most of the images put Brehm and son up next to the road, to the right of Moorman & Hill. Then there's this image at https://app.formative.com/library/64bfaace169372d3bfd2e7aa (attribution? I forget) putting Brehm and son farther back on the grass, and Babushka Lady to Moorman & Hill's left.

Then there's the "Walter Sisco" image (see https://www.jfkassassinationgallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=133), which I  contend is a composite (with no other picture attributed to "Sisco" or "Cisco"--name spelled differently according to the source--ever, despite his supposedly working at a Dallas newspaper). The woman in the blue head scarf in the "Sisco" image certainly looks like Beverly Oliver. 

My 2 cents.

Addendum: I also think the "Cancelare" image showing Babushka lady going up the knoll is a composite. Lots of little anomalies in the image. I think there was a lot more photo-tomfoolery going on than most people, even those who accept Zapruder film alteration, realize.

Addendum 2: The photo showing Babushka Lady on the other side of Houston, from which Aitken takes his crop, is Altgens 4. See https://www.jfkassassinationgallery.com/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=51 .

Edited by Denise Hazelwood
typo fix, add addendum, add addendum 2.

I have a hard time believing Lillian Zapruder was the Babushka lady.  I'd check the Zapruder daughter's book on where mom was at but it's at the bottom of my to be disposed of books box.