The Education Forum

JFK and the Neocons-- Two New DiEugenio Essays

W. Niederhut

23 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I am going to get to what a neocon is in this essay.

It will be complete and accurate.

And I will show how they disavowed and buried Kennedy's foreign policy until today it might as well be in a museum.

The first two articles are great.  I'm not well read on the beginnings of the Cold War and find that period interesting as it relates to US involvement in the Vietnam war.  Vietnam was so much a part of my coming of age, in the news, the protests, turning 18 in October 1974 I still have a draft card.  The backstory of how we got there is fascinating, that it really started with the death of Roosevelt.

In that vein, I think I probably first heard the term Domino Theory somewhere in the early to mid 1970's.  I thought I'd read somewhere in the last 30 or so years that Eisenhower had first used it.

I was surprised to find this while reading The Brothers by Stephen Kinzer.

"Eisenhower wished to crush Ho-to keep him from power at all costs, destroy his popularity - without using military force.  "In certain areas at least, we cannot afford to let Moscow gain another bit of territory," Eisenhower told one National Security Council meeting.  "Dien Bien Phu may be just such a critical point."

"Foster and Allen decided to try the same brotherly combination that had succeeded in Iran and Guatemala.  One would orchestrate political and diplomatic pressure on Ho while the other launched a covert war."

"Foster launched his part of the campaign with a speech to the Overseas Press Club in New York on March 29, 1954.  His central challenge was to explain to Americans why they must resist Ho.  The answer was what he called the "domino theory."   

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Jim - this is incredible and much needed work. Amazing thing is that no one wants to actually discuss your well articulated and researched points. The second essay really hits home, and I’m really looking forward to the next two installments. 

Thanks William.  And i agree, the content of the two essays is pretty much being ignored.

Yet, theTruman split from FDR and JFK's return to FDR is what those two are about.

Can you imagine spending a year researching and writing a speech like Kennedy did on Algeria?

And then getting blasted for it.  When in fact you were utterly correct?

Ron:

In his 1957 speech JFK really gave it to Ike and Foster Dulles about Dien Bien Phu.

He said something like, has everyone forgotten what happened three years ago?

Do we really want to be on the wrong side of history again?

6 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

Just shaking my head. Pitiful. Sad. But, just what one would expect from a Fletcher Prouty devotee: so now Israel is to blame for/was behind the creation of the neocons. Unreal. 

I read a joke on "X."

"Instead of QAnon, now we have Jew-Anon. All problems link back to the Jews." 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

Can anyone show me where I mentioned Israel in those two essays?