The Education Forum

Give Peace A Chance

4 minutes ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

Mark really is one of the nicest members here, he helped me a number of times  in finding old books, how to perform certain searches, etcc.

Much appreciated, JP, and ditto 😇

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

It would be nice when people just stopped labeling other people... especially a mod should know better, not?

LN/CT labels have never been productive or inspiring, they kill the open mind!

They have never worked, never will work, and have done more harm than good as they come with biases and a lot more BS. 

I was only here for six months (and I had only gotten interested in the JFKA a year earlier....) and one member said I was a LN, and closed conversation.  Only because I was somewhat critical about something he claimed, I asked to many questions I guess, being the newbie I am, but I did get labeled.... eager he was, geeeezzzzz.

And starting your comment with Herr?!? What is that all about???

Mark really is one of the nicest members here, he helped me a number of times  in finding old books, how to perform certain searches, etcc.  

Jean,

Mark identified himself as an "LN" in his 2022 EF introduction.

Secondly, when did the title, "Herr," become a derogatory form of address?

I was simply trying to respond to Mark in his own congenial lingo.

32 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Making fun of other people's names, are we? I haven't had a lot of that since elementary school. You're mocking my ancestor who, for very good reason, had the name changed from Ulrich some 160 years ago.

I don't think of him as a "nut" either.

I'm not sure "at" is the right proposition as these buildings are at least a couple of hundred yards apart. I worked in the area for a few years.

I see. You probably had to tick one of the boxes. Did the label really say "Lone Nutter"? What were the other options?

St. Aleksander Nevsky Church, Copenhagen (tripadvisor.com)

kopenhagen-st-aleksander.jpg?w=1200&h=-1

Mark Ulrik

• Mark UlrikProficient
  • Members
  • Interests:True crime, chess, collecting vintage comic books

Hi there! Thanks for having me. I'm from Denmark and have been interested (on/off) in the JFKA since about the time of the 25th anniversary. In the old days, I collected way over 100 books and subscribed to various newsletters (particularly enjoyed Paul Hoch's) but ultimately ended up in the LN camp. It's unlikely that I'll ever become more than a low-frequency contributor to this forum, but some topics (e.g. related to the photographic evidence) have always been of particular interest to me.

I'm a computer programmer (but not one of the rich ones). I enjoy collecting old American comic books, not least of the horror variety, and to follow chess events online.

2 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Paul Hoch moved into the LN camp too. 30+ years ago when I was introduced to him by Peter Dale Scott, he was not. 

"Ending up in the LN camp" reminds me of Fred Littwin's book title, I Was a Teenaged Conspiracy Freak.

I started this thread with the words "Isn't this what JFK was all about ultimately".  I might have been influenced by the neocon thread in that for me JFK was the exact opposite of what they stand for.  Maybe I should have prefaced the video with a few examples of what I was trying to surmise with the song.

Not being pushed into invading Cuba a month into his presidency.  Not being pushed into introducing combat troops into Laos or Vietnam.  Not being pushed into bombing/invading Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Seeking Peace behind the scene with Khruschev and Castro. The Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.  The American University Peace speech.  NSAM 263.

Then I apparently hijacked the thread I started.  Mark Knight recently asked a member "How does one hijack a thread you started?"  I posted another John Lennon song, Imagine, saying I found it peaceful but disagree with one line, that there is an afterlife.  Nothing about religion per-se. No Protestant - Catholic.  No Israel - Hammas.  Others touched on religion a bit and thoughts on eternity.

JFK was a practicing Catholic.  I think he believed in an afterlife and is hopefully at peace now.  Were the last rites administered in time?  Did his religion influence his seeking peace, I believe so.  Read Unspeakable.

I think discussion of these issues relate to his actions as president and demise.  Though another mod or admin may well justifiably delete this thread or move it I will not at this time.

BTW, Herr is considered an honorific salutation.

Herr (Hr.; pl., Herren)
for men (broadly equivalent to Mr., Lord and Sir in English). This word also means "master, owner, ruler, gentleman" and is also a form of address for the Christian God (English equivalent: Lord). If the surname is not used or known, e. g. when addressing a stranger in the street, the correct form is der Herr ("sir" or "gentleman"). 

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

BTW, Herr is considered an honorific salutation.

Herr (Hr.; pl., Herren)
for men (broadly equivalent to Mr., Lord and Sir in English). This word also means "master, owner, ruler, gentleman" and is also a form of address for the Christian God (English equivalent: Lord). If the surname is not used or known, e. g. when addressing a stranger in the street, the correct form is der Herr ("sir" or "gentleman"). 

Would you feel honored if I called you Mr. Bulman? Maybe even more so if I addressed you in German?

The Danish equivalent is of course Hr. Ulrik, but why so formal? You can call Niederhut many things, but polite is not high on the list.

PS: Thank you for expanding on thread context.

Edited by Mark Ulrik

6 hours ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

LN/CT labels have never been productive or inspiring, they kill the open mind!

I personally like the LN and CT labels. Says in a nutshell where a person stands... at least so if the person fits well into one of those categories.

It's like being labeled a conservative or liberal. Religious, agnostic, or atheist.

I happen to be very liberal, a strong CTer, and religious in a way.

If somebody addressed me as "Mister Larsen," I would think they were in a jovial mood.

If I jovially addressed somebody in the same way and the person took offense, I would apologize and try not to make that mistake again.

Human interaction can be messy. Especially when it's in words only with no tone of voice.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

1 hour ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Mark,

I'm just curious.

I am told that I get my surname from a Danish immigrant. Is Larsen a common surname there?

What about Lars? is that still used as a given name?

Larsen and Lars are extremely common!

From Statistics Denmark (January 1st 2024)

Last names

1     Nielsen     229.327
2     Jensen     226.181
3     Hansen     191.794
4     Andersen     147.066
5     Pedersen     145.213
6     Christensen     109.380
7     Larsen     104.971
8     Sørensen     100.188
9     Rasmussen     86.230
10     Jørgensen     80.135
11     Petersen     70.715
12     Madsen     59.503
13     Kristensen     56.801
14     Olsen     43.612
15     Thomsen     37.881
16     Christiansen     34.509
17     Poulsen     29.968
18     Johansen     29.395
19     Møller     29.207
20     Mortensen     27.624

Boy's names

1 Peter 46,552
2 Michael 44,338
3 Lars 43,290
4 Jens 42,123
5 Thomas 41,914
6 Henrik 40,996
7 Søren 38,745
8 Christian 37,480
9 Martin 36,944
10 Jan 36,134
11 Morten 33,601
12 Jesper 33,394
13 Anders 33,292
14 Mads 32,153
15 Niels 32,035
16 Rasmus 30,269
17 Mikkel 29,190
18 Per 28,700
19 Kim 28,189
20 Hans 27,709

Lars Larsen combo : 907

How many people are called ...?

9 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Larsen and Lars are extremely common!

From Statistics Denmark (January 1st 2024)

Last names

1     Nielsen     229.327
2     Jensen     226.181
3     Hansen     191.794
4     Andersen     147.066
5     Pedersen     145.213
6     Christensen     109.380
7     Larsen     104.971
8     Sørensen     100.188
9     Rasmussen     86.230
10     Jørgensen     80.135
11     Petersen     70.715
12     Madsen     59.503
13     Kristensen     56.801
14     Olsen     43.612
15     Thomsen     37.881
16     Christiansen     34.509
17     Poulsen     29.968
18     Johansen     29.395
19     Møller     29.207
20     Mortensen     27.624

Boy's names

1 Peter 46,552
2 Michael 44,338
3 Lars 43,290
4 Jens 42,123
5 Thomas 41,914
6 Henrik 40,996
7 Søren 38,745
8 Christian 37,480
9 Martin 36,944
10 Jan 36,134
11 Morten 33,601
12 Jesper 33,394
13 Anders 33,292
14 Mads 32,153
15 Niels 32,035
16 Rasmus 30,269
17 Mikkel 29,190
18 Per 28,700
19 Kim 28,189
20 Hans 27,709

Lars Larsen combo : 907

How many people are called ...?

Thanks Mark!

I live in Utah, where the Mormons settled. Among the Mormons were a lot of Danish and other Scandinavia converts. I've known people here with all but three of the surnames listed (Kristensen, Thomsen, Møller. and Mortensen).

BTW, my great, great, great grandfather's name was Lars Larsen.

7 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Thanks Mark!

I live in Utah, where the Mormons settled. Among the Mormons were a lot of Danish and other Scandinavia converts. I've known people here with all but three of the surnames listed (Kristensen, Thomsen, Møller. and Mortensen).

BTW, my great, great, great grandfather's name was Lars Larsen.

It was surprising to me that the list was so dominated by -sen names. For a while, at least, there seemed to be a trend towards dropping traditional names in favor of more unusual ones. I would also have expected to see one or two names ending on (for example) -gaard or -mand.

PS: It seems that Larsen is also the 4th most common in Norway! Source: Norske efternavne

11 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Secondly, when did the title, "Herr," become a derogatory form of address?

I can tell you if I would address one of the generation of my parents or grandparents as "Herr".... o boy, I´d be in trouble!!! It´s the same in a bunch of other european countries (e.g. the Netherlands, France,...) outside Germany that is...  It also has also been ridiculed in English comedy shows, films, etc e.g. "Herr Flick, officer of the gestapo." 

In general, addressing someone in/like/as German in Belgium still raises eyebrows, especially the older generation.  

During WW2 often Belgians did not know the names of German military rangs, now... it´s better to be safe than sorry..., so they would call them "Herr".  Well, that´s what my parents told me.

I know it has been a long time, but it´s still very sensative to call someone German whe he/she isn´t, or outside a normal context.  

No problem in addressing one in a formal way in Germany.  Just not in some neighbouring countries outside Germany.

Edited by Jean Ceulemans